Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Another DT Instructor course. I should be able to meet this one, as there is another Krav course coming here in Kansas in August.

2. Write at least two articles for the KF Article thread this year. I used to write more often, when I had more time, and really enjoy it. I hope that someday I can maybe submit one to Totally TKD magazine.

3. Maintain my strength training routine throughout the year. I don't want to set any numbers to hit, but just want to keep at it.

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be able to make it through the year with this knee injury!!
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

ShotokanGage
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
1. Lose about 20lbs
2. Compete in a grappling tournament (I failed to do that last year, and it was one of my goals)
3. Pass my Nidan test
4. Keep improving, in general!

It looks as though you and I have been doing a martial arts discipline for the same length of time (since 2010) and I too will hopefully be testing for Nidan this year. Good luck to you!

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShotokanGage wrote:
Wastelander wrote:
1. Lose about 20lbs
2. Compete in a grappling tournament (I failed to do that last year, and it was one of my goals)
3. Pass my Nidan test
4. Keep improving, in general!

It looks as though you and I have been doing a martial arts discipline for the same length of time (since 2010) and I too will hopefully be testing for Nidan this year. Good luck to you!

I've been in my current style since 2010, although I've been in martial arts since 2006. Good luck to you, too!
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

kenpokarate805
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: 2016 Martial Arts Goals Reply with quote

1st to get my 3rd Degree Brown Belt this year
2 Be a Assistant Instructor
3rd to get my 1st place in tournament
4 keep my Blood preasure low
5 excercised a lot

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys and gals-- let's see how we did. Be honest, now. I'll post a new thread for 2017 goals as well.

Lupin1 wrote:
I, too, want to get back into "one-derland" (weight under 200 lbs). I lost a ton of weight a few years ago but have let some of that creep back in the past year or two. I want to get back on track with that.

I think I also want to step up with teaching a bit more. I'm probably not ready quite yet to start my own program (though my instructor seems to support it when I bring it up to him), but I hope to step up more and maybe offer to plan and teach the beginner class on my own or step up and teach more pieces of the intermediate/advanced class so I can get more comfortable teaching at that level.

Finally, I want to work more on my sparring game. It's just not where I want it to be, so I want to see if I can find someone willing to spend more time with me on that to bring it up to where I want it to be.

Edit-- I also want to add attend at least one seminar. I've never been to one and I feel like I'm missing out.

Well, I have to say I dropped the ball big time this year. I didn't get a single one of these goals.

I didn't lose any weight and even gained some, though I've stepped up my game in the past few weeks and have started losing again recently.

I started a new job in April that requires evening hours, which seriously cut into my martial arts time. So I haven't been teaching as much as I was, but right now I am working with the intermediate kids rather than the beginners, so I'm learning to teach a new level, at least. I still want to eventually start my own program probably through the rec department, but that's down the line a bit.

Same thing with the sparring and seminars-- the new job cut into those as well. I was actually signed up for a seminar last spring that I had to back out of last minute because it was the day I was supposed to start my new job.

I'd say a disappointing year overall for my MAs, which is disappointing as I got my black belt in the last class of 2015, so this year was my first as a black belt. Not much progress and I didn't get nearly as many classes or as much practice in as I would've wanted. I think I let myself fall into that "new black belt slump".

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
I love this time of year and coming up with all the goals I wish to achieve in the following year, I don't always reach everything that I set out but that is going to change this year! a number of personal goals to do with finances, then theres my MA goals!

continue and increase my karate training and study including seeking out other places to train.
get back into Iaido and keep it up.

those are my main focuses at the moment.

I nailed pretty much of my personal goals, and I would say about half of my MA goals, I did get back to Iaido but had a few things get in the way and then I ended up moving which meant I was a bit too far away from the Dojo I was going to but I have found a new one where I am that I'm hoping to check out in the new year

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Alright, 2016 here we come:

1) Let's get year two in the books for the school. We successfully got year 1 under our belts, now we want to expand and continue the success.

2) Maintain current training level in my disciplines. Particularly BJJ and PTK (including training with higher skilled guys in PTK). I just don't have the time do more. But I don't want to do less.

3) 2-3 major PTK seminars/ workshops. Here's where I can make some time this year and do better then next year. My other side job is far more organized now that this time last year. This should help deconflict just a bit.

4) One competition. There, I'm putting it out there. I've competed at least once at every rank in BJJ (far more at almost every belt) time to step into the deep water at black.

5) At least two training sessions with the old kempo crew. I just did it far to long to lose touch.

There, it's on paper, big and small so I guess I'd better get to work!

Okay, end of the year check in, let's have a look:

1) Met. A second year is in the books and we're going in the right direction with more new members and continued growth.

2) Met. I've kept up the BJJ and PTK at acceptable levels.

3) I made 3 this year. One double stick, one knife, 2 form related workshops. I still wish I could make more time for PTK, but I'm managing at a level that is realistic.

4) Not met. I was on the run up to one but promptly got injured halfway thru camp. Next year.

5) Met. We just got by with a two but they were so worth it.

Not bad all in all.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
Let's do this 2016

1) Continue learning!

2) Be more active in my local MA community.

I definitely did not do the second one. Instead I ventured into the world of online MA, which was an awesome experience in itself.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
For now, my one and only goal is to lose 75 pounds!!

NOT MET!!

I only lost 36lbs, however, I didn't get serious until October 4th. Sometimes, I have a billion degree black belt in procrastination...better late than never...ah...no...that's not an acceptable excuse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: