Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to lose another 40 pounds, and train when I can.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to learn more cool stuff, polish and polish what I already know and keep working on my flexibility.

tubby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2016 got kind of waylaid by cancer, surgery and radiation/chemo, though I managed to compete in the midst of that. so my goal for this year is to finish all that crap about March and get back into shape and show my kids dad ain't done yet. I was pretty happy with where I was right up until the surgery, I want to build on that level.
I was aiming to compete in poomsae in the open groups and hopefully qualify for higher tournaments, KKW adding some new and more acrobatic patterns for us middle aged folks means I need to work harder on that.
Part of all this is the next grading, not to get the grade but to do the grading and come out knowing I'm back in the game by my standards.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a year tubby!!! Here's to a healthy and awesome year for you and your family!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:
What a year tubby!!! Here's to a healthy and awesome year for you and your family!

I second that! Here's to hanging in there!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tubby wrote:
2016 got kind of waylaid by cancer, surgery and radiation/chemo, though I managed to compete in the midst of that. so my goal for this year is to finish all that crap about March and get back into shape and show my kids dad ain't done yet. I was pretty happy with where I was right up until the surgery, I want to build on that level.
I was aiming to compete in poomsae in the open groups and hopefully qualify for higher tournaments, KKW adding some new and more acrobatic patterns for us middle aged folks means I need to work harder on that.
Part of all this is the next grading, not to get the grade but to do the grading and come out knowing I'm back in the game by my standards.

Best of luck tubby Hope you're back fighting fit soon

What are the new KKW poomse like? Much different from what you've done before?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:

I most assuredly and wholeheartedly agree; you and yours are in my prayers. Here's to a much better 2017!!

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Martial Arts Goals Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
In a few weeks we'll turn the page to a new chapter-- the year 2017.

365 pristine blank pages lay before you. What are you going to do to fill them up?

Benjamin Franklin said "let each new year find you a better man. (or woman)" What steps will you take to ensure you're a better martial artist by the time we reach that last page?

This can include goals for training, teaching, learning, health and fitness, or anything that relates in any way to martial arts.

I am so glad you posted this. I need to get my goals written down.

My place of work has a pedometer based reward system. I am saving the money I earn on that to buy a muay tai bag for my basement.

Currently I am almost 3 months into having my yellow belt. My training has suffered some due to being a full-time student, parent, and worker. I am not by nature a rank chaser. I decided to do this for time with my daughter, self-improvement, and fun. That being said, I would like to earn my blue belt, have my daughter pass for yellow next go around, and dedicate more time to training, at least 4 hours/week during the semester, and 7 hours/week when school is not in session. Regardless of time I would like to do 10 reps of kata a day.

In addition I want to do more history and philosophy reading pertaining to MA during school breaks. I also need to create my textbook. I do better when I write things down in steps with pictures. It helps my brain retain the steps in a kata, or Judo throw. I have a little notebook I carry with me at work so that I can always have something to study. I need to finish my blue belt one with short descriptions and diagrams. It helped when I studied for my yellow.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

tubby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:

Best of luck tubby Hope you're back fighting fit soon

What are the new KKW poomse like? Much different from what you've done before?

Thanks everyone. Im doing ok now, was quite happy to.pull a hamstring last week, it means my stitchd up bowels arent the weak link now. I skip one session every other week the day after chemo, apart from that and one day absolutely flattened in bed im in the very lucky group. Its very confronting to see others in the chemo rooms who cant get in under their own steam and they arent all old.

The new poomsae are very flashy. In the two for the 30-50 age group's theres things like back hook kick into jump back hook kick and roundhouse into spin jump rh. All seems to be geared to that showy side of tkd but ill give them a go and expect them to be fun to try if KKW ever documents them properly

neoravencroft
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wing Chun, JKD, Uechi-Ryu, Escrima, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To lose some weight, rank up in my WC, and learn another style to supplement it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: