Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: 36,000 Kids & Dragon Girl Documentary Reply with quote

36,000 Kids You Don't Want To Mess With.

A short film depicting a Shaolin Kung Fu school in China.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FDL4ZYEfcw

Dragon Girl

A full Documentary; depicting the reality of being a child martial artist in China.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=brD_fFewYRI

I hope you watch both videos.

There are harsh realities to deal with being a (child) martial artist in China.

How different was it for you in your part of the world?

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's impressive, but I wouldn't wish that on a child. Children should be exploring all the world has to offer, not single-mindedly focusing their lives on one thing.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
It's impressive, but I wouldn't wish that on a child. Children should be exploring all the world has to offer, not single-mindedly focusing their lives on one thing.
As the girl in the documentary said; she wanted to eventually travel and see the world.

Comparing East with Western standards is easy to do but as a girl in China being given away, any hope to have any chance of a life, an opportunity in a martial art school was it, for many of them.

To see how poor the relatives are, they had nothing much to offer their children, but a slim piece of hope as a marital art champion, could open a doorway to success in later life.

Poverty exists for many martial artists, just something not usually seen or talked about around the dinner table.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Lupin1 wrote:
As the girl in the documentary said; she wanted to eventually travel and see the world.

Comparing East with Western standards is easy to do but as a girl in China being given away, any hope to have any chance of a life, an opportunity in a martial art school was it, for many of them.

To see how poor the relatives are, they had nothing much to offer their children, but a slim piece of hope as a marital art champion, could open a doorway to success in later life.

Poverty exists for many martial artists, just something not usually seen or talked about around the dinner table.

Idk. There was a part in the film where she legit said she seriously thought about jumping off a building. I think it's probably somewhere in the middle. It may be better than what they're coming from, but I wouldn't call it good if the children want to commit suicide.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
Lupin1 wrote:

Idk. There was a part in the film where she legit said she seriously thought about jumping off a building. I think it's probably somewhere in the middle. It may be better than what they're coming from, but I wouldn't call it good if the children want to commit suicide.
The suicide rate for children in Japan (none martial artist) is very high due to the pressure of obtaining high grades.

Intense continued stress of anything isn't healthy.

These children in the documentary are primed for military use.

Let us not forget that China was once ruled and occupied by the Japnese; they are not going to allow that to happen again so easily.

The alternative for many of these children would be to get caught up in organized crime; punishment in Chinese prisions is very harsh.

Some of the children were born in the factor where the mother was working, abortions are also performed there if the one child per couple rule is not adhered to; unless the mother to be is ethnic Chinese.

Might consider, things are far to easy for western civilizations, we need to appreciate more on many levels and understand the importance of the little things such as having clean water for instance.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the documentary through and through.

I've no opinion because of what I'm always telling my students...

Perception is reality to THAT PERSON alone!! It's not right...it's not wrong...it's that persons perception, in which that is their given right as a human being.

What is for one person, isn't for another!!

Proof is on the floor!! The floor ISN'T about the floor in a MA school always.

Is the concentration on one thing, as in this documentary, a bad thing?? Again, perception is reality to THAT PERSON ALONE!! That individual has to decide for themselves the path in which they want to follow. Those looking inside from the outside haven't a clue as to what's involved in another person's life. Therefore, assumptions become the rule of the day!!

Thanks for sharing the video, Alan!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I really enjoyed the documentary through and through.

I've no opinion because of what I'm always telling my students...

Perception is reality to THAT PERSON alone!! It's not right...it's not wrong...it's that persons perception, in which that is their given right as a human being.

What is for one person, isn't for another!!

Proof is on the floor!! The floor ISN'T about the floor in a MA school always.

Is the concentration on one thing, as in this documentary, a bad thing?? Again, perception is reality to THAT PERSON ALONE!! That individual has to decide for themselves the path in which they want to follow. Those looking inside from the outside haven't a clue as to what's involved in another person's life. Therefore, assumptions become the rule of the day!!

Thanks for sharing the video, Alan!!

Thank you sensei8 I like your perspective very much.

Must admit, in the documentary, there were moments that where difficult for me to not cry.

The children show alot of tenacity and courage for such a young age.

While in many/all schools in the West weapons are not allowed, in this school however at playtime children (36.000 of them) are wielding a sword.

What would happen in a Western school, if they would all be allowed to bring knives and swords to play with during recess?

This is why the discipline and respect level needs to be set ultimately very high in this MA school.

Perhaps martial artists in the west, children and adults for that matter would benefit from watching this documentary, for its motivating and appreciation (of the differences concerning hardships) qualities.

The discipline and respect doesn't stop for these children, as when they go to work in a factory or join the military, for them, nothing much has changed.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kunfu Academy, China, near the Shaolin Temple, (Tagou Martial Arts School)

SPECTACULAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGWYC_Sai7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVwennfQdU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: