Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: A Call For Self-Defense!! Reply with quote

Read this quote just the other night...

"What does it take to stop a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun." ~Robert Lovingood, Vice Chair for the San Bernardino, CA, County Board of Supervisors.

First, I'm not an advocate nor a supporter of Mr. Lovingood and/or the office for which he now resides. I just want us to have a friendly discussion.

Therefore, what's your opinion about his quote?

Let me be frank, the MA can only go so far against an attacker if a gun is involved, the MAist becomes quite limited. After all, bringing a knife to a gun fight has its limits, as well.

CDraper
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who Mr. Lovingood is but I would tend to agree. Even if you are not a high level "operator" you at least have options if you are armed appropriately.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if its true and i personally wished to own guns myself since terrorists are conquering europe now,
i think many americans are too much enthusiastic of rifles. its like the example of a student who runs amok in a school shooting kids and what would the american say? if these kids have had guns too, they could have defended themselves.

CDraper
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the 12000 to 13000 firearms murders a year in the US, aproximately 300 to 320 are by rifles. I'll give you that when they are used and make the headlines the incident is usually bad.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you won't really argue if it matters of being handgun, rifle or whatever. to me english is second language, so inconfused the terms and i meant shooting weapons in general.
you confirmed, what i wanted to say, thank you.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After an initial spurt of laughter from the unusual name, perhaps in some ways that gentelman may have a good point. The biggest issue with this idea is that the law and authorities often find it difficult to distinguish the good guys from the bad guys when each side is armed. The situation is even more confusing when bullets start to fly.

CDraper
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My screen name? It is the first letter of my name followed by last name. Chuck Draper

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the name of the person the quote in the OP is from.

CDraper
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all good MAfreak. A little language barrier will not stop two people from communicating if both are honest and willing to hear what is meant. Please take my post for what it is meant as educational only and not something against you.

ChuckD

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A Call For Self-Defense!! Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Read this quote just the other night...

"What does it take to stop a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun." ~Robert Lovingood, Vice Chair for the San Bernardino, CA, County Board of Supervisors.

First, I'm not an advocate nor a supporter of Mr. Lovingood and/or the office for which he now resides. I just want us to have a friendly discussion.

Therefore, what's your opinion about his quote?

Let me be frank, the MA can only go so far against an attacker if a gun is involved, the MAist becomes quite limited. After all, bringing a knife to a gun fight has its limits, as well.

Can you defend against a gun yes. Is it wise, I would say no it is not. I know they have wooden drills that people use but come on now. If you want to drill with a gun, students should be given small water pistols. So if the person defending gets squirted with water, than they weren't fast enough or did the drill wrong.

However as for knives, like I always say, if you cannot see both hands when being approach by someone, keep your distance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: