Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: a friend/mentor/colleague finally awarded his black belt Reply with quote

A colleague of mine at my dojo who was a 1st kyu for many years (close to 10 years from memory), has had to cease his martial arts training forever which is devastating news to hear due to his eyes and having had 16 surgeries on them (16 on each eye = 32 total) finally was awarded his Black Belt.

He was unable to grade for many years due to his eye problems, but our sensei had decided at our breakup this year (it was last wednesday - it is a Monday here currently in Melbourne) to award him his black belt.

All of us senior students in the advanced class or had trained with him knew that he was deserving of being awarded that rank.

He was rightly sad to say goodbye to karate and also to say goodbye to us. But we all were starting to get teary also to farewell him. Yet we reminded him that he is always welcome to come visit us and also to teach and share your wisdom to other students.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very moving story, I thank you for sharing it!!

Congrats to him for being awarded Shodan!! Well deserved!! I'm sad for him that he has to say goodbye to the MA. But perhaps, it's more of a, I'll see you soon!!

I bow to him, now and always!! I bow to you and your dojo for being by him all these years through all of his trials and tribulations, and I'm sure that he held a special place in his heart for all of you.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great story. It's awesome when a student who is as loyal as your friend gets to see how loyal the school is to him.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

Congrats to him for being awarded Shodan!! Well deserved!! I'm sad for him that he has to say goodbye to the MA. But perhaps, it's more of a, I'll see you soon!!

I bow to him, now and always!! I bow to you and your dojo for being by him all these years through all of his trials and tribulations, and I'm sure that he held a special place in his heart for all of you.

Unfortunately not to full shodan. Everyone at my schools (including a couple of schools I train at because I am a good friend of the head instructors) get a shodan-ho before being promoted to shodan. That includes our adults.

But he was told if he wishes to teach and work on his karate he is welcome to and may be promoted as a teacher. So my sensei would create another pathway for him.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Unfortunately not to full shodan. Everyone at my schools (including a couple of schools I train at because I am a good friend of the head instructors) get a shodan-ho before being promoted to shodan. That includes our adults.

But he was told if he wishes to teach and work on his karate he is welcome to and may be promoted as a teacher. So my sensei would create another pathway for him.

Still, Shodan-ho deserves my respect, and for what he's endured, and for what he's about to endure in his life, he's got it wholeheartedly from me.

The pathway is just waiting for him to accept.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this with us, Nidan Melbourne.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He came in to teach the adults class (our 'beginners' class) and everyone was glad to see him for it.

He was all teary eyed for the warm welcome back to help out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: