Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: A Glimpse Into A Hombu! Reply with quote

Not many things are known about the behind-the-scene of a martial arts Hombu...sometimes, many Hombu's keep a shroud of secrecy from any outsiders for one reason or another. This has never been a problem nor has it ever been the case with the Shindokan Hombu under the leadership of Dai-Soke Yoshinobu Takahashi Sensei.

Therefore, I would like to peel away a small layer to reveal some of the internal going-ons at the Shindokan Hombu. I've authorized this glimpse as it is my duty, honor, and right as Kaicho and Chief Instructor of the Shindokan Hombu to do so.

The Shindokan Hombu itself is staffed by approximately fifty-six (56) staffers, not all will be listed here. At the top of the structure is Dai-Soke Yoshinobu Takahashi Sensei, Judan. Directly under him is the Executive Team; in the Executive Team there are Kaicho, Kancho, and the Board Of Regents in which there are twelve (12) members. Under the Executive Team there are three (3) departments including the General Affairs Department, the Instructor Department, and the Administration Department. The General Affairs Department is headed by a Hachidan who is the ranking member of the Board Of Regents and his team includes eleven (11) staffers. The Instructor Department is headed by the Kaicho who is the Hombu/Style Chief Instructor. The Administration Department is headed by the Kancho and also has three Assistant Directors as well as nine (9) staffers.

The Instructor Department, which is made up of twenty-four (24) teachers, is the largest department. Also within the Hombu there are various committees made up of higher ranking teachers, as well as various sections and staff members responsible for handling contact with outside parties and so on. The Hombu itself has become no longer just a dojo, but also a kind of corporate entity. Still, the focus of most activity remains on the Instructor Department. In addition to teaching, many of the instructors are also involved in publishing the Shindokan Hombu Newsletter (One Heart...One House), planning and preparing for various events, administering the Shindokan Annual Testing Cycle held every June/July, and accompanying Dai-Soke, Kaicho, and Kancho when they travel. Also, there are quite a few requests for Hombu teachers to teach in various Shindokan Dojo's, as well as visiting many various martial arts venues, so some instructors are usually off doing that.

There are so many things for the Hombu to do and be involved in every year, including Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year. The whole place always gets very busy in the days leading up to these major events, and the Administration/General Affairs Department has its hands full doing this and that for most of the rest of the year as well.

Hopefully, you've enjoyed a very small glimpse of the behind-the-scenes of the Shindokan Hombu.

Wa-No-Michi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: JKF Wado-Kai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys have a web site we could have a look at?

WNM

www.banksy.co.uk

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this information, Bob. It appears that you have quite the organizational flow-chart. Not just a simple school, after all!

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wonder what you were talking about whenever you mentioned your "hombu", now I know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: