Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: A question for Kru's and kickboxing instructors Reply with quote

So my question for you is, when did you feel you were ready to teach? My ultimate goal is to start my own kickboxing gym sometime, and while i've done this for 12 years, Idk if I have what it takes to be a good teacher.

I feel i'm good at teaching what I do, but i'm not sure if I have enough knowledge to pass on...if that makes sense...

I also have no clue where to start, how to make a ciriculum. Any advice on that?

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question. Are you training under anyone?
I've been training for many years under the same instructor and as I developed over the years he asked me to be an assistant instructor, and in that capacity I slowly learned to teach. Needless to say over the years, helping him teach, I inevitably absorbed his method or strategy for developing his curriculum.
As I understand my path, the one described above, is very very very common.
Which is why I ask if you're training under anyone...if you are I suggest talking with your Ajarn first. If you're not, that gets a little more complicated. Either way please do reply!

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archimoto wrote:
Interesting question. Are you training under anyone?
I've been training for many years under the same instructor and as I developed over the years he asked me to be an assistant instructor, and in that capacity I slowly learned to teach. Needless to say over the years, helping him teach, I inevitably absorbed his method or strategy for developing his curriculum.
As I understand my path, the one described above, is very very very common.
Which is why I ask if you're training under anyone...if you are I suggest talking with your Ajarn first. If you're not, that gets a little more complicated. Either way please do reply!

I had most my training under the same teacher for around 10 years off and on. Currently i'm not training under anyone at the moment, due to the over an hour drive has made it less than fessable. So right now i'm not under anyone.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not either a Kru or Kickboxing instructor. However, I've been teaching for quite some time now. Hopefully, what I say here, might help you.

Quote:
I feel i'm good at teaching what I do, but i'm not sure if I have enough knowledge to pass on...if that makes sense...

Don't sell yourself short! After all, you did say...

Quote:
My ultimate goal is to start my own kickboxing gym sometime, and while i've done this for 12 years

12 years isn't something to sneeze at. There's value there. You believe that you're good at teaching, and this is the first step to being a great teacher; self-awareness, but not being smug. I'd say that after 12 years, you have enough knowledge to pass on.

Quote:
Idk if I have what it takes to be a good teacher.

Not all can teach the MA and not all should!!
Are you cruel? Yes, then don't teach. No, then teach.
Are you quick tempered? Yes, then don't teach. No, then teach.
Do you have patience? Yes, then teach. No, then don't teach.
Are you a bully? Yes, then don't teach. No, then teach.
Are you more important than your students? Yes, then don't teach. No, then teach.
Are you professional in every shape, way, and/or form? Yes, then teach. No, then don't teach.

These are just some examples of questions you must be asking yourself. However, make sure that you're honest with yourself; and depending on how you answer them, might tell you if you've the makings of a good teacher.

The fact that you ARE teaching right now, per what you've posted, tells me a lot. You're teaching!! Did you start teaching on your own? Did your instructor teach you how to teach?

Quote:
I also have no clue where to start, how to make a ciriculum. Any advice on that?

Can you sit down, and write out on paper everything that a beginner would have to learn? If yes, then that's the beginning. If no, then you're done...until you can!!

Once you can write down every technique that a beginner has to learn, then start listing how they will learn each and every technique. All the learning which is planned and guided by you.

Then outline the skills! The syllabus is the content of the instructions.

Sit down and write on paper everything you'd teach a student...the stance; one of kickboxing's most basic technique. If you can do that, you're on the way to understanding how to formulate a curriculum.

Then write down the same thing for...the jab.

Then write down the same thing for...the front kick

So on and so forth. Before you know it, you've written out the entire curriculum. One technique at a time; that's how a curriculum is written. Will you re-write it? Sure, many times. But soon, you'll have a solid curriculum. Any it doesn't have to be like anyone's else's. A curriculum should be personal to the instructor.

One word at a time...that's how a curriculum is made.

You'll be fine, but first you need to believe in yourself!!

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensie8 great post !!!

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TY!!! Great post Sensei8!!! You just lifted my spirits and confidence up 100 fold!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: