Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: A video clip on gedan-barai/uke Reply with quote

Hello, everyone!

This morning, I posted a very short video clip on social media showing first the basic arm motions of gedan-barai/uke (low level sweep/receiver/"block") without any power generation, then gedan-barai/uke done with what we would typically call "reverse hip thrust," and finally the technique powered the usual way. I exaggerated and slowed down the motions to highlight the mechanics, but normally they would be done in a much more fluid manner.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUrn3jjlDPq/

The reason I'm bringing this up here on KF is to get some input, because I was surprised at the number of responses that suggested people couldn't see the purpose of the "reverse" version. I know that it is not the way people are generally taught when they first learn kihon, but I didn't think it was that obscure. Is this something that most people do not practice?
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that you already answered your question...

Quote:
Is this something that most people do not practice?

No!

You and I, and any practitioner of Okinawa Karate, for the most part, do the reverse generated hip movements because it's so very natural for us...like tying our shoe laces.

I've not seen what you posted on the social media, but, if all of the responses were from MAists, then I suppose that their style of the MA doesn't do, nor do they understand the reverse hip movements, which means they don't and can't appreciate what you and I take for granted.

If the responses were from non MAists, then I suppose that by the very fact that they're non-MAists, they'd not even the slightest notion concerning the nuances of hip movements within the MA.

Btw, very nice video, Noah!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on whether they study Okinawan or a Japanization of Okinawan Karate.

If one studies an old school art that has not been altered they have not only seen it but are very proficient at it. As Sensei8 said it's second nature.

By the way nice vid Noah. I personally like how you slowed things down so that the movements are readily apparent.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who've not trained in an Okinawa Karate style on a regular basis, I simply explain to them that the reverse hip movement is akin to snapping a wet towel, in which a windup of the hips is released, as one would whenever the very end of that wet towel is released at the target.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: