Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found training Judo to really help with my fear. In Judo, if you let your fear get in the way even a little bit, it increases your chances of getting hurt or hurting someone else. Techniques have to be executed all or nothing with no hesitation.

In karate we don't do too much I'm afraid of, but there are times I'm afraid for legitimate reasons (for example-- we have one nidan who's a little wild with whom I'm afraid to do anything involving striking at or sweeping the knees. I just don't trust him with my knees). That type of fear I think is good and forces me to take precautions to protect myself.

Other than that I'm not too afraid of things. I've been hit before. I've been accidentally (and not-so-accidentally) punched in the nose before. I'm not too afraid of those things. Things involving joints with inexperienced or wild people scare me and, I think, there's very good reason for that.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
I found training Judo to really help with my fear. In Judo, if you let your fear get in the way even a little bit, it increases your chances of getting hurt or hurting someone else. Techniques have to be executed all or nothing with no hesitation.

In karate we don't do too much I'm afraid of, but there are times I'm afraid for legitimate reasons (for example-- we have one nidan who's a little wild with whom I'm afraid to do anything involving striking at or sweeping the knees. I just don't trust him with my knees). That type of fear I think is good and forces me to take precautions to protect myself.

Other than that I'm not too afraid of things. I've been hit before. I've been accidentally (and not-so-accidentally) punched in the nose before. I'm not too afraid of those things. Things involving joints with inexperienced or wild people scare me and, I think, there's very good reason for that.
Practicing with very inexperienced people can get a bit scary, can't agree with you more.

There is a tendency for them to over react and forget this is training and not a life or death situation.

I suppose we were all like that at one time or another; how embarrassing!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: