Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Advice needed: 5'10 vs 6'8 Reply with quote

so, i'm 5'10, and I might be fighting a guy who's 6'8 in a couple months...muay thai rules, no knees to the head but elbows allowed...and suggestions on how to fight a much taller guy?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty dramatic height difference, and I imagine it will come with a dramatic difference in reach. Personally, I would get in as close as possible, keep pressure high, and work in the clinch. With someone that tall, their center of gravity will be pretty high, so I would dump them with sweeps whenever possible. That said, collar ties might be tough to get on somebody who is 10" taller than you, though. I've never been at that significant of a height/reach disadvantage since I began training.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With MT rules specifically I think if you stay inside, and if this guy is any good, he will eat you up in the clinch with knees and elbows. I know this from personal experience being 5-10 myself and competing against someone 6-6 in an open tournament. That is exactly where this guy wants you. If his skill level is low I agree stay inside but if he's any good you'll have to manage the ring, MOVE a ton and stay off the ropes, and keep working your speed at long range moving in and out attacking his legs. WEAR HIM DOWN. Remember, at 6-8 he'll have tremendous leverage if he gets you in a clinch, you could easily get tko'd with a knee to the solar plexus, stay outside and use your speed. I highly recommend working your cardio between now and then too because you have to be highly active against everyone but especially someone that is much bigger than you.
Hope this helps!!!
Let us know how it goes!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does a 1000 pound gorilla want to sit? Wherever he/she wants to!!

Beat his legs to death by angling in and out, and let him commit to his attacks. Want to fell a tall tree? Then, chop away until it's toppled!!

10" difference isn't nothing to sneeze at, but, relax and don't allow the initial shock overwhelm you. Keep you guards up, and kick his legs at every chance you have. Then work on combo's out of the leg kicks!

When that gorilla starts to force his/her sitting place, it's best to not be there!!

Good luck, let us know how it went! If nothing else, this will be a learning experience for you, and hopefully, for him as well!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty tall order, pardon the pun. Hopefully, you are a bit faster, and can use your speed to move in, strike, and move out. Really work the legs, try to bring him down that way.

Best of luck, and please keep us posted!

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once fought someone 6'8 under shoot fighting rules, but I am 6'3 myself so the weight difference was the bigger issue; 240 vs 350.

Work the outside is my best advice; the natural reaction might be to try and stick close, but that could be suicide with regards to the weight, never mind height, difference. Any position where he can strike down at you will be dangerous, and that includes in the clinch or playing Kubi Sumo.

So as I said work the outside, especially the calves and below the knee. If he attempts a clinch, go for arm control and try to slip to the side; forget trying to control the head. If he does try to get in close, punish with shots to the liver, and gut; don't get drawn into a punch up.

With that height difference, and weight difference, I do not think a quick victory is likely, but going the distance is also dangerous. I would say focus on core and leg strength, and of-course cardio. However, do so with the aim to put out enough punishment to finish it in three rounds. After that, the ability absorb punishment, and the likelihood of eating a knock out punch, or elbow, a result of fatigue will be against you.

It is the strategy I went with. Hope it helps at least, and as others said, at least it is a learning experience.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
I once fought someone 6'8 under shoot fighting rules, but I am 6'3 myself so the weight difference was the bigger issue; 240 vs 350.

Work the outside is my best advice; the natural reaction might be to try and stick close, but that could be suicide with regards to the weight, never mind height, difference. Any position where he can strike down at you will be dangerous, and that includes in the clinch or playing Kubi Sumo.

So as I said work the outside, especially the calves and below the knee. If he attempts a clinch, go for arm control and try to slip to the side; forget trying to control the head. If he does try to get in close, punish with shots to the liver, and gut; don't get drawn into a punch up.

With that height difference, and weight difference, I do not think a quick victory is likely, but going the distance is also dangerous. I would say focus on core and leg strength, and of-course cardio. However, do so with the aim to put out enough punishment to finish it in three rounds. After that, the ability absorb punishment, and the likelihood of eating a knock out punch, or elbow, a result of fatigue will be against you.

It is the strategy I went with. Hope it helps at least, and as others said, at least it is a learning experience.

Solid post!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anecdotal, not scientific...

I've found most often that tall and thin guys like to keep you at an outside range, where their fists and feet reach you without you being able to reach them. They hate when you get up close.

Tall big guys like to keep it a lot closer and make you carry their weight, so to speak. They have not problem keeping you back, and no problem keeping you in either.

The best advice is to know your opponent. Figure out what he isn't comfortable with and stick to it. With tall big guys, you've got to get in and get out. Angles too. Chop them down. Throw a few well placed shots, get out of range, repeat. Tall thin guys who hate you being up close get jammed pretty easily, but you've got to get in quick and be able to withstand some shots.

Sounds so much easier than it really is. Being 5'8 and pretty much always being the short guy in the dojo has taught me this much.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine the MA being ONLY for the taller practitioners!?! The MA gives practitioners the tools they need to meet these type of obstacles head on with courage and tenacity with a clear mind.

Mizu No Kokoro (Mind Like the Water) and Tsuki No Kokoro (Mind Like the Moon)...these speak towards many things for the MAist.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: