Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuk Sool Won has the same type of set up. However, junior BBs do not have to learn all the same material, it is a little abreviated. And, the belt is still black. However, they must learn the rest of the material (and test again) to be considered an adult BB.

Ryukyu1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen clubs that run a junior syllabus and then when the student s reach a certain age can then progress to the senior syllabus. If they were a junior black belt the would hold that grade and progress throught the adult programme because lets face it you can't really be teaching 10 year old junior black belts about striking pressure points.

Cory Reynolds
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-22 10:03, Ryukyu1 wrote:
lets face it you can't really be teaching 10 year old junior black belts about striking pressure points.

No? Why not? Can they not understand the concept of a pressure point? Can they not hit with enough accuracy to strike a pressure point? Give kids a little more credit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my karate black belt when i was 13...and i will be perfectlly honest. I personally dont think I had a decent grasp of the meaning behind the art or understanding beyond that of actual physical combat; however i could do whatever was required of me in terms of techniques just as well as anyone older then me. Though I deserved a black belt or not, I was and still am v.glad that I did to the art from a young age because it gave me so much in the line of teaching me determination and dedication e.t.c.

But then it could also be argued that people who are much older, were at the same stage i was at that age - in terms of understanding e.t.c.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our school Dan grades are based on an adults ability to perform certain things. Its physically impossible for children to be able to perform what is required in our school. Thats why the age limit of 18 is set for Shodan.

Children do not have a muscular strength to be able to perform the movements properly and also there is a contest component in gradings and a Shodan must be able to beat 3 1st Kyu Brown Belts (adults) in contest.

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that people have been sworn to look at skill with rank? A white belt may be better than any black belt you have ever met!

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually a black belt has a great amount of skill, while a white belt may have some degree of ability, it is usually not fine-tuned or harnessed like that of a black belt. This is my martial arts rule of thumb. A white, yellow, red belt may be better than a black belt, but the expectations are higher for a black belt and therefore experience and skill is required to a higher level. What I;m saying is, there is of course an exception to every rule, like the black belt loses to white belt, but a black belt being skilled is pretty much a constant in the martial arts.

username237
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my black belt when I was 13 and to be honest I think that I had what it takes to be a black belt, physically and emotionally. I was totally dedicated, I still am but not as much admittedly as I have my career to consider. By the time I was 14 I had won my first world championship medal.The point i'm trying to make is that it isnt ludicris to see a young child with a black belt under every circumstance, throught my time training I have seen some incredible young children with fantastic abilities that were also mentally prepared for their role as a black belt. Contradicting my point though, in some cases I have seen plenty of young children that dont know what the meaning of a black belt is even thought they are wearing one! But then again I have seen many adults like this too, so generally I dont think age should be that much of an issue, they should just not get their black belt full stop if they dont deserve it!

Going slightly off subject, in my experience I have noticed that most children that aren't really that into karate will do it up until their first dan and then pack it in altogether. Whats the point?? Theres so much more to learn from there!

Lau gar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im prob the youngest here if we pass all of our gradings within five years of training
for me 16

John G
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwon-Do, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should kids have black belts, I guess it depends on what your definition of being a black belt is or more to the point what your instructor’s view of what a black belt is.

I have two instructors with differing views, one a master (seventh degree black belt), believes it’s about personal achievement and discovery. The other instructor (second degree black belt) believes it’s about respect, technique and knowledge.

I feel it’s all about the journey and not the destination, if a ten year old has a black belt. It tells me that they have spent a great deal of their life in achieving that milestone.

Ok their skills and maturity may be underdeveloped, but what a great start to life they have, to be amongst people who show courtesy and respect to one another. People willing to help develop those skill levels and wonderful role models to help develop that maturity level.

I leave who becomes a black belt and the reasons why, up to my instructors.

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: