Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Policeman are known to use Aikido techniques to detain a suspect, would the police be better prepared using BJJ or any other style of ma?

Do the police use Aikido because weapon defence is a part of the Aikodo way, wear as BJJ or other grappling styles are not weapon oriented?

Police use Aikido techniques because that was what was integrated into their training curriculum because that is what was chosen decades ago. They also work well. Most of the time police are not going hands on with trained master level martial artists. They can be going against very experienced street fighters. They also like to go in a large enough force to overwhelm the suspect. You also deal with bureaucratic inertia when trying to change ingrained training systems. While I think all Police officers should learn BJJ and striking, most people (politicians) view it as UFC bloody mats. They want to see a softer, gentler way. The vast majority of police officers are given the exact amount of training, on any subject matter, that budgets and minimum training standards require. Many city councils (elected politicians who want to keep getting elected) do not want to ask for more taxes so they can train the police in more combat arts. Unless the Officer seeks additional training on their own they only ever receive the bare minimum.
Very good opinions LLLEARNER you seem to be very informed and knowledgeable on this top.

Bouncer that also practice Aikido can benefit from "the way of coordinated harmony" in controlling drunks in pubs and clubs.

If a bouncer for instance beats on a drunk with his fists, this is not controlling the situation, it is only adding more violent behavior.

Grappling with a drunk person and the bouncer is wearing a suit isn't feasible either. While being in the mounted position the bouncer is going to get whacked on the top of his head with a bottle from his friend.

There are BJJ techniques that could be modified for the police and bouncers. Having a better understanding of human body mechanics, leverages and fulcrums would be a good beginning.

Eagle Claw kung fu and Chin Na practice and knowledge are two Chinese aspects of martial arts that can also enhance any martial artist arsenal. Aikido already uses some of their principles, the police bouncers and BJJ should be able to enhance themselves from these other viewpoints.

Watching video footage of police and bouncers apprehending a suspect or a rowdy can look very sloppy.
Sometimes as if they are trying to catch a greased pig, when they pile on top of a person three at a time

Or out comes the pepper spray and tazer gun. If all else fails beat the person in to submission. If the correct amount of force is justified to meet the situation then that is the way to address the problem?

Aikido can be modified for aggressive purposes, then in doing so it would not be Aikido but something else. For instance, what Steven Seegal does in the movies is not Aikido, the violence for entertainment or senerios of hurting other people, criminals bad guys or whoever, is contradictory to the peaceful way of Aikido.

Aikido is the peaceful way this is why the police have adopted it, as it is their duty to keep the peace.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEWS FLASH: Vladimir Putin wants all Russians to be tough like Steven Seagal.

A statement like this from the President of Russia will undoubtedly increase the popularity of Aikido in that country.

Out with (BJJ) Brazillian Jujitsu and in with (RSA) Russian Systema Aikido.

Perhaps not, as Brazilians out numbers Russians by 66 million.

The population of Brasil is 209 million.
The population of Russia is 143 million.

What if Putin named Royce Gracie instead of Steven Seagal?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word is that Putin is also a Judo practitioner. I don't if that has done much for Judo in Russia.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some very realistic looking videos of "Street Fighting Russian Aikido Style"

Aikido has most definitely gripped the street wise martial art genre in Russia; their action movie industry will make sure of that.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with aikido was a short one - 4 months long, but I was enamored by it. Yoshokai Aikido (centered in Ann Arbor, MI; I practiced it at Wayne State University in Detroit) seemed that it could be quite effective in practical application. This was over 10 years ago, but I do recall some of the basic ideas. The techniques I'm currently in my hapkido class are very similar to the aikido I learned back then.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Aikido experience was unforgettable and useful in learning how to: flow with the opponent, falling and tumbling skills, massage techniques for the neck and spine also joint locking techniques.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see what Aikido becomes after 10 years of popularity in Russia.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
It will be interesting to see what Aikido becomes after 10 years of popularity in Russia.
It will certainly be interesting for me, not sure if I will still be around in the next 10 years.

Therefore if you can make a wild educated guess regarding Aikido and Russians in the next decade; it would be appreciated immensely.

My instinct tells me that they will be wearing the traditional Aikido uniform topped off with a Cossack hat and throwing each other around in the snow.

Maybe they will call it Snowkido.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
LLLEARNER wrote:
It will certainly be interesting for me, not sure if I will still be around in the next 10 years.

Therefore if you can make a wild educated guess regarding Aikido and Russians in the next decade; it would be appreciated immensely.

My instinct tells me that they will be wearing the traditional Aikido uniform topped off with a Cossack hat and throwing each other around in the snow.

Maybe they will call it Snowkido.

That would be a very Russian thing.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Russian but still something interesting and positive for all the Aikidoists out there.

Bruce Lee's Secret Aikido techniques; as if you didn't know!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ihUpXcH7JQ4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: