Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: An Instructor With Great Patience!! Reply with quote

While the below link is cute, and it is, I also wanted to make a comment about the patience that this instructor exemplified on the floor.

Teaching kids can be difficult for many MA instructors across the board, and even more so when the student ages range from 3-5 years old. An instructor, no matter the age of the students, has to demonstrate maturity and the like, and equally important is patience.

It's easy to lose patience, yet, it's unacceptable to do so because we instructors have to show that given professionalism at all times, in and out of the school. You want your students to love the MA...to love going to the school...to improve across the board...but if an instructor has no patience, imho, that instructor isn't qualified to teach anybody anything.

Patience of an instructor gives the student confidence in themselves! That confidence is one of the selling points of the MA, no matter the age. Might be even more important with kids, and especially with the 3-5 year olds. No instructor is a babysitter, but without patience, that instructor isn't qualified to be a babysitter.

Kids are very impressionable, and we instructors have been entrusted with a great honor to mentor them with love and tender care. Parents depend on our level-headed abilities to engage and teach their children the MA virtues that have been the staples for as long as the MA has been around.

Watch, and enjoy, the below video, and please watch how this instructor interacts with this 3 year old student beyond the cuteness.

https://www.jukinmedia.com/licensing/view/907620

Comments and conversation welcomed...thank you, in advance!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comments yet as to either the topic and/or the video. I'm patient to the overflowing in the hopes of a productive conversation amongst us all.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its very cute and i haven't ever met an instructor (including myself back then when i was new trainer in my former karate club) who hadn't the patience to deal with younger kids.
at least i remember that it was said that the kids liked me most, because i very rarely raised my voice, while other instructors did.
but if there's a bigger group of kids and you are too much kind of their buddy, sometimes they lose concentration and don't follow the instructions and fool around so one has to make clear again what they are in class for.
while i miss it a bit, it was sometimes also exhausting, at least to me, who hasn't experience with own children.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience is so necessary. Teaching kids is, as stated by sensie8, an important part of teaching in general. Sometimes I'm frustrated, teaching kids requires a lot of repeating sometimes and after repeating yourself it ends with a consuquence. For me, I see some kids with issues as well, like autism or adhd, and it requires even more patience. It is disruptive to class at times when kids act like kids, but with your patience as an instructor they will understand what's expected of them.

Patience is the key to the flow of a child's class on my opinion. An instructor who isn't patient is in for a frustrating evening and I can't imagine them lasting long or enjoying what their craft.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every MA instructor has the right to decide whom they want to teach. This is so true whenever one's thinking about teaching kids. Not every MA instructor wants to teach kids for whatever their reason(s) might or might not be; kids can be a handful.

So are adults, for that fact!!

Some MA instructors only want to teach kids!! Maybe that's because kids bring out the best out of them. Maybe that's because kids are those unique sponges. Maybe that's because kids come to the MA without any preconceived notions about the MA.

Some MA instructors only want to teach adults!! Maybe that's because they don't want to babysit a bunch of bratty kids. Maybe that's because they interact much more better with adults. Maybe that's because it's easier to patty cake adults than it is with kids; one wrong movement, and the kids breaks in half. Maybe it's because they don't want to have a billion conferences with parents/guardians about a plethora of subjects because of who knows what.

It is also true that a quality MA instructor is that diamond-in-the-ruff that mustn't be overlooked and/or taken granted of. Teaching kids takes special gifts, and I'm thankful that I've those gifts. I enjoy teaching my students, no matter their ages; I see a student before me, and their ages mean nothing to me. Yes, I'm aware of their differences, and I'm quite aware of my responsibilities within their age groups.

The instructor in this video exercises patience throughout, and never gets rocked into frustration. This isn't always true with EVERY MA instructor. Kids are the future of the MA, and if they're not, then the MA, imho, is doomed to drift away into the abyss.

Patience isn't a commonality amongst MA instructor, imho. And if someone does believe that that commonality IS in EVERY MA instructor, I sincerely think that they're both terribly misguided, and without any morale compass.

The boy in the video is hinged in being that 3 year old...acting with determination in what he understands to be true for each and every movement he executes in the hopes to break that board. Most MA instructors that tolerate kids in their school might've ended the opportunity out of the MA instructors own frustration due to ill placed embarrassment they felt in the failure of the break, when the true is the failure would've been with the MA instructor, and that instructor alone.

I smiled throughout the entire video because the boy was bathed in cuteness as well as in determination; stayed with the task at hand, and the total absence of having no preconceived notions about anything, especially the MA.

When a MA instructor opens their doors to teach kids, I believe that they must also open the doors of their heart, as well. This too applies to students that aren't kids.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this video because it was sweet and extremely patient of the instructor, whilst getting the kid excited and motivated to break the wood.

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work by the instructor and great spirit shown by the kid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: