Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Another Path Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

On April 13, 2013, I had the honor and privilege of testing for my 5th dan in front of my martial arts peers, including several master instructors and, most importantly, my long time teacher and friend, Tom Callos. It was the culmination of my martial arts journey of 35 years and the new path that I embarked on 18 months prior by becoming a member of the Ultimate Black Belt Test (UBBT), a project that seeks to change the way we conduct black belt testing, run our schools and contribute to the communities we live in, by taking the lessons we learn in the dojo out into the world to share.

The physical requirements included daily repetitions of pushups, sit-ups, forms, sparring and running, designed to demonstrate that small things add up into big things and that a single act can have far reaching effects in the future. That is a lesson that we try to impart to our students, which sometimes falls on deaf ears, and that we must sometimes remind ourselves of. We were also required to make our lives an open book by documenting our diets and making public our progress on the various requirements through weekly journaling, pictures and videos. It was all about the concept of putting your money where your mouth is, walking your talk, putting up or shutting up. This is a transparency not often seen by martial arts instructors these days, that says more about who you are than what you are. (Note: the purpose here is not to debate the goal of martial arts training - combat vs. character - as I believe both can be achieved albeit through different paths.)

We also took on large projects outside our dojos to impart to our students, and the communities we live, the value of martial arts training apart from the physical. This meant looking at self defense in terms of the environment, our nutrition, education, compassion, etc. Using this as the marketing of our work, rather than how many birthday parties we host or buddy day specials we run, speaks volumes to what we really stand for and represent to our communities - the same communities our students live and work in.

The more challenging of the requirements were the personal ones, which were decided upon through identifying our weaknesses and taking them on. For example: focusing on anger management, repairing broken relationships, achieving personal victories, time-management, public speaking skills, curriculum development, living more simply, finances, school management and more. Many important lessons can be taught to your students as you yourself change in front of their eyes as we all know that actions speak louder than words!

The final part of the test - a demonstration of our physical skills and a personal testimony of our journey - took place in Greensboro, Alabama during a house building event unlike any I have ever experienced. It was a project of love that began several years ago and has become an integral part of the education of the members of the UBBT, their students, their families and all those within their sphere of influence. It represents a 4 day immersion in "the way" – a concept we strive to pass down to our students with words and actions that cannot be fully explained. It was a gathering of teachers from all martial art styles who know no boundaries and have no territories to protect - only wisdom, experience and knowledge to share, and traditions to pass on.

For those of us who seek to teach our students the value of service and friendship, the UBBT and the Alabama Project serve as a training ground - a University level education - for bringing the same kinds of projects and experiences to our own communities. They give us the tools to take ideas and turn them into meaningful expressions of the lessons we teach; and for changing the way we think about our role as teachers. A new path for a new future.
http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission, Heidi.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new and exciting way stands before you, and in that, I commend your new path/journey. The UBBT seems to be something that might catch onto other styles and governing bodies, but only time will tell.

MAists are always looking for ways challenge themselves against many forces, including their own mettle; hence, their MA betterment strives for that within themselves.

The UBBT concept is one I'd be willing to test, and in that as well, I'd have to make it a voluntary choice, and not a required choice amongst anyone within the SKKA (Shindokan's governing body).

I'm willing to have both our Legal Team as well as our Teaching Team to look much more closer to the UBBT and have them report back to the Administrative Team of their findings/discoveries to see if the UBBT might be something to consider.

Is the UBBT, and forgive the question, created and designed and approved for ALL styles of the MA or for just your style??

Great article, and I thank you for it, Heidi.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UBBT is for all styles, all systems, all arts. I would be happy to give up all I know about it and my thoughts on both participating in it and implementing it's concepts it in your own dojos.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:
The UBBT is for all styles, all systems, all arts. I would be happy to give up all I know about it and my thoughts on both participating in it and implementing it's concepts it in your own dojos.

Seeing that the UBBT is for all styles and the like, I've just emailed our Legal Team and Teaching Team to get the ball rolling. Could how the UBBT is conducted compliment or clash with the vision of our Soke? However, change is inevitable, and change is suppose to be a good thing.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tailor the UBBT to fit your own/Soke's vision-it truly is a personal test that you design around those things that are important to your training (the physical, i.e., fitness, diet, practice, etc.) and those things you struggle with (the internal, i.e., meditation, discipline, humility, confidence, etc.) or want to incorporate into your "practice" as a master teacher. Taking what you teach on the mat out into the world, and teaching your students to do the same by designing curriculum that is more than just physical techniques.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Heidi; I'll pass this onto the appropriate teams at our Hombu.

andym
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done ninjanurse, the culmination of a lot of effort and dedication.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Heidi. Very cool, and congratulations on this accomplishment! I imagine the real winners end up being your students.

And it sounds like you've got Bob on board, so please keep us posted as to how you implement these things! It should be exciting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: