Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Answer These Questions! Reply with quote

Hey all,

If you didn't participate in the interview series and won't have the chance to appear on tomorrow's live stream, I still would love to do a brief interview with you here! If you are comfortable doing so, please answer these questions in a reply to this thread.

To make this easy, to post a visually appealing interview, I will also include the questions, formatted nicely, in a code BBCode box at the bottom of this post. Simply use your mouse to highlight/select all of the text inside this box, then copy and paste it into a new reply and fill in your answers!

1. Where are you from?

2. Why did you get started in the martial arts?

3. Please briefly describe the styles of martial arts that you have taken and your ranks in them.

4. Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join? And why did you stay?

5. What does KarateForums.com mean to you?

6. Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?

Code:
[b]1. Where are you from?[/b]

Your answer.

[b]2. Why did you get started in the martial arts?[/b]

Your answer.

[b]3. Please briefly describe the styles of martial arts that you have taken and your ranks in them.[/b]

Your answer.

[b]4. Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join? And why did you stay?[/b]

Your answer.

[b]5. What does KarateForums.com mean to you?[/b]

Your answer.

[b]6. Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?[/b]

Your answer.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Answer These Questions! Reply with quote

[b]1. Where are you from?[/b]

New York City, New York

[b]2. Why did you get started in the martial arts?[/b]

My Uncle Frank and Dad wanted me to learn some form of Self - Defense. I started in Boxing at the age of 9 in 1963. My Uncle who was a boxer took me to a Boxing Gym that was co-owned by one of his friends.

[b]3. Please briefly describe the styles of martial arts that you have taken and your ranks in them.[/b]

I did Western Boxing from 1963 to 1968. Then USA Goju Karate from 1968 to 1969 received the Rank of Purple Belt from Sensei Peter Urban. From 1970 to 1973 me and a friend took Self-Defense Classes from a man named Charles ( Charlie ) Nelson. From 1973 to the Present kwong Sai Jook Lum Jee Praying Mantis Kung Fu ( Southern Praying Mantis ) From James Soo he is much more than just my Teacher he is a friend that really opened the door for me - not easy to do in Chinese Kung Fu even among Asians. From 2003 to 2008 studied Kali - Traded Jook Lum Mantis to learn kali from a friend Joe Musse - this man's skill is on another level. Both James and Joe are incredible - skills not often seen these days.

[b]4. Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join?[/b]

I was lurking - I joined because ( the Moderator ) Patrick does not let things get out of hand - in other forums the moderators just let the mud slinging continue.

[b]5. Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join? And why did you stay?[/b]

I stayed because of the great group that posts on this forum

[b]6. What does KarateForums.com mean to you?[/b]

Your answer. An exchange of knowledge by the written word by a group of very knowledgeable individuals.

[b]7. Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?[/b]

Your answer. My Dad - who was not a Martial Artist told me years back " never under estimate anyone " and " Life is to short make the best of what you have ". My Uncle who was a fighter would say " If outnumbered and you can't run take as many of those with you ". Sensei Peter Urban would say " Never put your guard down even when you think it's over " My Jook Lum Teacher James Soo once told me " Everyone's got a plan until they get dropped on their Butt - can you ( Talking to me ) get up and finish it - it takes heart ". These sayings were told to me years ago and there still in my head - I have not forgotten.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this with us, lowereastside. It sounds like you've been with some amazing instructors throughout your MA career!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing that, lowereastside. I appreciate it.

I am fortunate to have a great staff that consists of guidelines (Sempais), including sensei8, Harkon72, Wastelander and Lupin 1, and moderators (Senseis), including ninjanurse, bushido_man96, DWx and tallgeese. Together we are able to follow through on the goals that I have for the community.

Thanks again,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Thanks for sharing this with us, lowereastside. It sounds like you've been with some amazing instructors throughout your MA career!

I concur with Brian!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Where are you from?

I live in Melbourne, Australia and have lived there my whole life (all 21 years of it)

2. Why did you get started in the martial arts?

I got started in MA because I was getting physically and verbally bullied at school when I was young. So my parents wanted me to learn how to defend myself so it would stop (which it did).

But also it was to improve my self esteem and various other social aspects of myself. That way i could be more confident in myself to be able to do anything that i want.

3. Please briefly describe the styles of martial arts that you have taken and your ranks in them.

I am a 2nd Dan in Goju-Ryu Karate and a lovely White Belt in Brazillian Jujitsu.

Goju-Ryu is an amazing style of karate as you have both hard and soft techniques, also that you can learn how to defend yourself without absolutely destroying your assailant.

and BJJ is a good MA as it gives you the fundementals of ground fighting and how to defend yourself well whilst there. Also how to do takedowns, throws and locks effectively.

4. Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join?

Well yeah i remember how i found it! I just googled GKR (because i was bored one day) and a link to a karate forums thread was the top hit. I clicked on it and found the forum very interesting and wanted to join.

Also before i joined i read multiple threads and saw that i could learn something and have discussions with like minded people.

5. Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join? And why did you stay?

Well i kinda just answered it in the last question so look up (hehehehe i'm so cheeky sometimes).

I stay because it is interesting and i can get peoples opinions on anything that i am thinking about on a particular day.

6. What does KarateForums.com mean to you?

Friendship for one to an amazing community. But also a learning experience.

7. Do you remember how you found KarateForums.com? Why did you join?

Google and to learn

8. Can you share a memorable moment within the community where you received great advice or an experience that really affected you and your martial arts journey?

There are no singular memorable moments for me. Majority of responses i get has effected me in some positive manner. so all i can say is that since i joined it has been a memorable moment!

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Interview NM, Goju Ryu is not very popular where we live; but I believe that our styles have much in common.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
Great Interview NM, Goju Ryu is not very popular where we live; but I believe that our styles have much in common.

Where do you live?

Which styles do you currently study?

I haven't really done much in terms of other study in karate so i am unsure?

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in North Wales, UK. Goju Ryu is unknown here. At least in the North, if not the Whole of Wales. I know of a few clubs in Birmingham England, but that's it. We have Shotokan Karate, Shukokai Karate and some Wado Ryu Karate; Kickboxing is popular, we have some Wing Chun and we have a Lau Gar school a few miles away. There are some Thai Boxing and MMA gyms, one Bujinkan School and one TKD school this side of the English border.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that, Nidan Melbourne, and for pointing out the duplicitous questions. Not sure how those made it in there, that was funny. I have fixed it.

Patrick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: