Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: April Fool's! About Patrick's Dojo Reply with quote

Hey all,

Thank you for visiting KarateForums.com!

Earlier today, in honor of April Fool's Day, we announced that I was launching my own all-digital martial arts instruction service, Patrick's Dojo. Through Patrick's Dojo, I would teach you the martial arts, just from what I have gathered here, reading posts on KarateForums.com and observing an alleged over 700 martial arts.

Check out the website for Patrick's Dojo: http://www.karateforums.com/dojo/

You might say the website was just a little tongue-in-cheek, promising "the most complete, and most lethal, system ever created." With a process described as "quality, value, convenience" (the slogan for television shopping network QVC), worthy students would submit a two page paper and $199.98 (and $147.98) to be considered. Then I'd train them through a series of videos. And after a separate testing fee, they would potentially earn their rank - which would be reflected on KarateForums.com.

This joke spawned out of an idea from Danielle (DWx) with Devin (Lupin1) providing some excellent copy for the website and JR suggesting some ideas, too, with support from the staff as a whole. Thank you to all of them.

I found it funny in a couple of ways. First, obviously, the scammy-sounding nature of the page, where it is a little out there, but also kind of believable, too. It's not so much a critique of digital instruction, which I know some of us feel can offer value, but just of those who seek to separate a person from their money.

The other side of it is that, if you've been here very long, you probably know that. I think this has led to some people to question my motives for running this community, even 16 years in, and the move to a cash grab totally plays into those suspicions. The idea of me teaching the martial arts is really absurd.

I hope that you had a great day and that this fake service gave you a chuckle.

Thank you for your patience.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one. Now where do I really send my money?

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a pretty good April Fool's Day joke; worthy of being one of the best we've seen here at KF.

Had I seen Patrick's Dojo outside of KF, I would've just 86'd it accordingly, and went on with my life. The sad thing about the whole thing is that things similar to Patrick's Dojo really and truly exist all around the world.

In that, many unsuspecting consumers believe things like this, and in that, they not only waste money, but time, as well. Both can never be replaced!!

Still, this is a April Fools Day joke, and in that, I got a real kick out of it; laughed my head off...visualization was all over the place for me!!

catlike
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work that man!

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"TAKE MY MONEY!"

HAhahahah, I did visit it and thought it was very well done. A great 1st April "event"!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a great prank.

So, when will you be issuing refunds?

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's broke. I tried to join and it kept bringing me back to the home page. I hope this doesn't mean I missed out on learning the most complete style ever concocted from such a overly qualified instructor!

Great joke.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best one yet!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words, LLLEARNER, Bob, catlike, Bulltahr, John, MatsuiShinshii and Brian. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Best one yet!

I agree! Awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: