Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of training is to develop and ingrain certain actions and responses which would not otherwise be possible. The results of training depends almost entirely on the methods and purpose. With proper supervision, diligence and adequate repetition, trained actions become instinctive.

The fact that born "fighters" do not exist or that a person lacks a certain character trait is completely irrelevant to that person's ability to deal with physical threats.

Self defense and dealing with violence goes far beyond physical techniques. The subject involves many other social and psychological aspects not usually discussed and often ignored.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Self defense and dealing with violence goes far beyond physical techniques. The subject involves many other social and psychological aspects not usually discussed and often ignored.

I totally agree with you and ignoring such aspects is really annoying !

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this as a nature vs nurture problem.

Generally, I find every person is capable of being a fighter. To what degree is the dictates of their nature (genetics/natural physicality), and their nurture (what they are taught/teach themselves).

Of course, people vary in their physical ability as a result of what they are born with. This is augmented by environmental conditions that can range from what others taught them to what they taught themselves either formally or informally.

This all gets stirred into our minds and results in the effectiveness of our responses to stimuli.

Some will never have the physical ability due to their genetics to play linebacker. Some will never be able to respond effectively to an attack due to lack of mental conditioning.

For most people, most of the time proper training and practice will condition their minds and bodies to respond effectively to most encounters.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
For most people, most of the time proper training and practice will condition their minds and bodies to respond effectively to most encounters.

Gives me some hope ! I want to change my state of mind, I don't want to be an ultimate fighter & I am not planning to compete even, I just wand to have the right mind set & skills that allows me to save my beloved ones & myself in any street situation espicially with violence widespreading now everywhere in the world !

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What this comes down to is whether we have an innate Fight or Flight (or Freeze) response.

With training all you are doing is teaching the person to recognise stimulus and to react in a certain way. "Fight" is the body's response when it believes the perceived threat can be nullified. "Flight" is when the body thinks that its best chance of survival is to get the hell out of there.

The trick is to stay in control. And you teach people to do this by endlessly drilling every stressful scenario until you develop an instinctual response. Ideally you want to build in "good" instinctual responses.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No!! I do not subscribe to the born fighter mindset because everyone has to LEARN how to do whatever it is that they do. Impressions are just that...impressions, and impressions fueled by ones assumption can quickly fade for one reason or another.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humans have instincts and natural behaviours just like all animals. The key difference is that unlike other animals, people can exploit their own natural instincts and even control them by training. Training is what determines the way a person will behave in a given situation.

Two different people with radically opposing characters and personalities will both fail if they are not prepared to deal with what they are facing. Someone who trains effectively and regularly for self-defense will most likely succeed at defending themselves. To be effective, training and practice must have a clear goal.

Whisky147
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kung fu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Are we born fighters ?! Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
" Are we born fighters ? ". That's my question.

Since I have started my MA journey and I don't feel confident to spar, not sure if it's fear of pain or fear of the unknown or inconfidence due to lack of experience with different blocks & attacks being a beginner ?!

I usually have in the back of my mind the idea that: "I don't want to spar much not to get injured", espicially having family & kids I can't afford taking long break from work to treat an injury but still not sure if this is the real reason or am I trying to convience myself with it so I don't undercover the true reason !

My sesnsei told me that some people are born fighters & others not which might be true but is there any chance for those "others" to be fighters as well ?!! and if yes what they need to do to be fighters ?!

I am not sure if anyone is in the same situation or have thought about it before but this issue is really annoying me. I have been raised up to keep myself away from troubles and it's not that easy to change this mindset now.

I have started MA initially for fitness & self defence, fitnesswise I am doing great but with self defence I have a big question mark ? , without sparring a lot with many different opponents I will never be able to react in the street !

Sorry for the very long post but felt like sharing my thoughts with you guys

Hey Safroot!

If you are still quite new on your martial arts journey then i wouldn't worry too much about feeling apprehensive about sparring, your not the first and certainly wont be the last person that has felt nervous about sparring with someone.

With time and good quality training comes experience and it's this experience that allows you to build up your confidence and your skills for sparring.
I am by nature a quite quiet and laid back person and i absolutely hate confrontation, but i am now at the stage in my training where i enjoy and look forward to sparring (especially with the instructor as he is twice my size! lol)

Just keep working hard and training and i'm sure you'll be fine my friend.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Are we born fighters ?! Reply with quote

Whisky147 wrote:
Hey Safroot!

If you are still quite new on your martial arts journey then i wouldn't worry too much about feeling apprehensive about sparring, your not the first and certainly wont be the last person that has felt nervous about sparring with someone.

With time and good quality training comes experience and it's this experience that allows you to build up your confidence and your skills for sparring.
I am by nature a quite quiet and laid back person and i absolutely hate confrontation, but i am now at the stage in my training where i enjoy and look forward to sparring (especially with the instructor as he is twice my size! lol)

Just keep working hard and training and i'm sure you'll be fine my friend.

Thanks Whisky147 for the advice & I completely agree with you. I am still new in MA but since I posted this thread, I have had 3 sparring sessions and I am feeling bit more confident now although I am still very very far away from being good at sparring but improving slowly. Tbh I am lucky to be in that dojo as all of the guys & gals training overthere are very helpful & supportive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: