Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickadee wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
The kata's within our style are effective because they're simple; even those that are advanced. Casting away that which was flashy and ineffective was easy once I took myself out of the equation. (...)
That's where Bunkai can help! It's not required, however, it shouldn't be ignored!!
I wholeheartedly agree with you that kata should be simple and practical. Though Sensei hasn't asked me to come up with Bunkai for it, for every move I do I visualize what application it could have. What bothers me is the sheer length of it: 50 moves. I'm finding it to be an awfully long kata.

sensei8 wrote:
Btw, VIDEO TAPE it so that you can see what it looks like, and make corrections accordingly, and this is where one must be brutally honest with oneself.
Thank you for the idea! I video taped how I do traditional katas before to analyze my mistakes but for some reason haven't thought about it for my own kata!

sensei8 wrote:
Above all things, seek out the advice and feedback from your Sensei, when it's appropriate!! Ask your Sensei to critic that which you're creating, but be warned, your Sensei's critic might be harsh, but it'll be truthful.
Ah. That's another bit of a problem I don't know how to overcome. When I initially asked Sensei about how I should approach composing the kata he basically said: "Just do it". I've also failed the test for 1 kyu twice (a year ago and this June) and I'm afraid to ask him about my kata in case he takes it as me trying to hint that I want to test again. To be completely honest I'm afraid to ask Sensei about anything. When I did in the past he would look at me as if I was a Martian and say: "Don't talk. Keep training." I'm sure I might have asked wrong questions but I have no idea which question are the right ones.

Three things that come to mind.

One, 50 is quite long for a kyu kata, imho. If you're troubled by its length, then shorten it, that's where the video taping will help you because when you play it back over and over, you'll see where you can edit it without losing its effectiveness.

Two, if your Sensei isn't available for critic/feedback/etc., then don't bother him with it...just shorten it, and as he's said..."just do it"!! If you can believe it, then he'll believe it too...hopefully!!

Three, if Bunkai isn't required, then don't worry about it. HOWEVER, Bunkai, if approached correctly, can weed out some of the movements, therefore, shorten the length of the kata. So, sure, try some Bunkai in private, but don't worry about Bunkai on test day. BUT, what if your Sensei surprises you with him wanting to have you demonstrate some Bunkai; better to be prepared than to be surprised.

chickadee
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: goju ryu karate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
If your Sensei isn't available for critic/feedback/etc., then don't bother him with it...just shorten it, and as he's said..."just do it"!! If you can believe it, then he'll believe it too...hopefully!!
Sounds like a plan I'll stick to the sequence I have, which is slightly under 50 moves but I feel good about it (even a little proud). If Sensei doesn't like it (either content or length) at the test -- I'll keep working on it. There is nothing to lose.

Thank you for the thoughtful suggestions!

Last edited by chickadee on Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

tubby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't say I have anything to add in terms of how you should do it but the more I think about it the better this exercise sounds as part of training. Maybe not to practice the kata you come up with, but to put real thought into how one should be constructed.

chickadee
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: goju ryu karate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I like the exercise as well, especially the part where I think about transitioning from one technique to another as it puts together the technique and the footwork.

ineluki
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chickadee"]
sensei8 wrote:
What bothers me is the sheer length of it: 50 moves. I'm finding it to be an awfully long kata.

It's hard to know what to do unless your sensei explains a bit more what he wants...

Ideas:

1. Be traditional... repeat.

That may sound a bit silly, but it's not as if the stablished kata don't repeat sequences at least left and right, if not more.

2. Perhaps take a look at the kata developed by T. Asai (Shotokan, but they might give you some ideas)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: