Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Balance = Success Reply with quote

I have only been in business on my own for a little over a year but I think I have a good perception on things and I'd like to share my thoughts and get you guys opinions/feelings on the matter.

To me, there are two sides to running a martial arts school, the first is business and the second is teaching good martial arts. As a martial artist and teacher, I want to make the best program I can imagine so I would have to have a very high standard on rank and expectation for my students. As a business owner I want to keep the students coming in and concern myself very much with how happy my students are and what makes sense financially. This is were balance comes into play. If you want to be successful, in my opinion, you have to create a more realistic approach than many martial artists may have in mind as a standard and how the program is run. Sometimes I feel like I am trying to meet the average person with my program in the middle, and not the serious martial artist. Most people just do not have the raw physical ability or athleticism to show me what I would like to see to e most people just do not have the raw physical ability or athleticism to show me what I would like to see to earn rank. As my signature says, hustling hard work are a substitute for talent. The thing that I do not see is a tremendous work ethic from students, especially the ones who need more work.

So in essence what I'm saying is as a teacher and martial artist I have a very high standard for what is required to learn rank and what it should look like. As a business owner I must be more realistic with that standard so that I may succeed. I am not saying give belts away because I want to make money, I am not all about the money and if I was I would not have my price is where they are. What I'm saying is it comes back to that very important word BALANCE! It is my belief that you have to find a balance of A good program businesswise and a good program as a martial artist/ instructor.

Lastly, I would just like to say that there seems to be a very negative stigma about a martial artist or school that would like to make money and make a living. There is a big difference between ripping people off and charging a fair rate for services. Every time I speak about money in the back of my mind I'm thinking how I need to explain that I'm not all about the money and this is a very unfortunate part of the martial art World right now. For those of you that run you're in school, this is best suited for you, although instructors and martial artists alike are welcome to give their opinion because it shows how everybody feels in general.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Balance = Success Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
I have only been in business on my own for a little over a year but I think I have a good perception on things and I'd like to share my thoughts and get you guys opinions/feelings on the matter.

To me, there are two sides to running a martial arts school, the first is business and the second is teaching good martial arts. As a martial artist and teacher, I want to make the best program I can imagine so I would have to have a very high standard on rank and expectation for my students. As a business owner I want to keep the students coming in and concern myself very much with how happy my students are and what makes sense financially. This is were balance comes into play. If you want to be successful, in my opinion, you have to create a more realistic approach than many martial artists may have in mind as a standard and how the program is run. Sometimes I feel like I am trying to meet the average person with my program in the middle, and not the serious martial artist. Most people just do not have the raw physical ability or athleticism to show me what I would like to see to e most people just do not have the raw physical ability or athleticism to show me what I would like to see to earn rank. As my signature says, hustling hard work are a substitute for talent. The thing that I do not see is a tremendous work ethic from students, especially the ones who need more work.

So in essence what I'm saying is as a teacher and martial artist I have a very high standard for what is required to learn rank and what it should look like. As a business owner I must be more realistic with that standard so that I may succeed. I am not saying give belts away because I want to make money, I am not all about the money and if I was I would not have my price is where they are. What I'm saying is it comes back to that very important word BALANCE! It is my belief that you have to find a balance of A good program businesswise and a good program as a martial artist/ instructor.

Lastly, I would just like to say that there seems to be a very negative stigma about a martial artist or school that would like to make money and make a living. There is a big difference between ripping people off and charging a fair rate for services. Every time I speak about money in the back of my mind I'm thinking how I need to explain that I'm not all about the money and this is a very unfortunate part of the martial art World right now. For those of you that run you're in school, this is best suited for you, although instructors and martial artists alike are welcome to give their opinion because it shows how everybody feels in general.

Solid, and you're right nothing wrong with making money and a living. Best idea would to try and get the necessary income from a solid children program, just so you get the necessary money. But for your teenagers/adults have something harder. Since most martial arts schools depends on revenue for children. Gotta do what big tababco does, get them while they;re young. So by the time there old enough to do more challenging things, they'll love the martial arts.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Balance = Success Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:

Solid, and you're right nothing wrong with making money and a living. Best idea would to try and get the necessary income from a solid children program, just so you get the necessary money. But for your teenagers/adults have something harder. Since most martial arts schools depends on revenue for children. Gotta do what big tababco does, get them while they;re young. So by the time there old enough to do more challenging things, they'll love the martial arts.

I like that, I really like that way of looking at it about a strong kids program because the kids program is less serious on many levels anyway. Nice post and thanks for that.

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Balance = Success Reply with quote

If one is running a full time school - its a business. And if this is your job or the only means of income - you must run it like a business. Will the quality suffer? YES IT WILL. But when you have to put food on the table and provide for your family you do what you have to do. IMHO true combat can only be learned in small groups I don't care if it is Karate - Kung-fu and so on...... I teach 5 days a week. I have no more than 6 students in a class. My classes are now growing and I keep splitting up the classes. And if its gets to big I will put people on a waiting list. But its easy for me to say this because I collect a pension and will soon collect SSI. So I can pick who I want and dismiss who I want. Sometimes you can't have your cake and........ Again just my 3 cents. Good Luck.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just say this, for now!!

I've never sold my integrity for the sake of my dojo. I don't need to be successful that bad!! I just don't!!

Be better than your competition across the board!! Better instruction! Better prices! Better testing cycles! Better environment! Better marketing! Better hours! Better...well...EVERYTHING!!

If that isn't enough and I have to think about giving rank away, well, it's time to close the doors for the time being or for good.

Quote:
To me, there are two sides to running a martial arts school, the first is business and the second is teaching good martial arts. As a martial artist and teacher, I want to make the best program I can imagine so I would have to have a very high standard on rank and expectation for my students. As a business owner I want to keep the students coming in and concern myself very much with how happy my students are and what makes sense financially.

The bold type above is what catches my eye, and why I posted what I did. And you're right, the dojo is ALSO a business, but the business side and the dojo side need to be separate. Otherwise, one will win, and the other will fall. But you want BOTH to succeed...I get that from you...address them separately, otherwise, you'll start second guessing yourself to please both entities, and they are not the same!! You've a dojo/dojang that IS a business; one hand washes the other. Both must be strong, but you have to make them strong, and only you can do that.

Your the CI...the buck stops with you...students/parents/grandparents/relatives/friends/etc. ARE NOT THE CI...you are. Those might not like it whenever you put your foot down, but when they see that you're still in business and that your teaching quality stuff...please...they'll get behind you and fight the good fight with you and for you!! Be consistent or shut the doors!! No is no and yes is yes...cut right down the middle...no gray areas and no maybe's!!

Hang in there, Lex...I got your back!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Balance = Success Reply with quote

lowereastside wrote:
If one is running a full time school - its a business. And if this is your job or the only means of income - you must run it like a business. Will the quality suffer? YES IT WILL. But when you have to put food on the table and provide for your family you do what you have to do. IMHO true combat can only be learned in small groups I don't care if it is Karate - Kung-fu and so on...... I teach 5 days a week. I have no more than 6 students in a class. My classes are now growing and I keep splitting up the classes. And if its gets to big I will put people on a waiting list. But its easy for me to say this because I collect a pension and will soon collect SSI. So I can pick who I want and dismiss who I want. Sometimes you can't have your cake and........ Again just my 3 cents. Good Luck.

To the bold type above...

NO, IT WON'T!! If it does, then shut the door!! Teach quality at all times, and if one can't...then, again, it's time to shut the doors for good, or for the moment. Nothing, imho, is worth selling ones integrity for! Not for rank, not for this or for that, not for the sake of the business. Integrity or the lack of it, are entwined with ones reputation, good or bad!

Imho!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be a tough balancing act, as there is a ridiculous number of businesses that close within' the first 12 months of operation.

I am looking at opening a club in a few years time. But I am not restricting my club to just teaching Karate, but also will get a BJJ Instructor to run the BJJ Program and have a Boxing Instructor to run that program. Whilst at the same time we would be having our own gym (like a Fitness First or Genesis) for the general public and our students from Karate/BJJ/Boxing to use at any time.
My logic for having a gym attached to my dojo was to ensure that I still had an income but also to create opportunities for students to come and train at the gym or in class then go do the other. Also so we can create more opportunities for people to become stronger and safer.

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Balance = Success Reply with quote

How have you been Sensei8 - I hope all is well with you. What I am trying to say is that when you run it like a business - to run it successfully you have to attract students - having 40 + students on the floor instead of 5 or 6 students will effect the QUALITY of instructions. The Quality will not be the same. And INTEGRITY - well let me say this - I AGREE WITH YOU. But do you see whats out there - I live in NYC. almost all the full time schools that I pass by have attached MMA signs to them - like Tae Kwon Do MMA or Hung Gar Kung fu MMA. or Wing Chun MMA Kung fu. Where is the Integrity there. Again just my 3 cents.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Balance = Success Reply with quote

lowereastside wrote:
How have you been Sensei8 - I hope all is well with you. What I am trying to say is that when you run it like a business - to run it successfully you have to attract students - having 40 + students on the floor instead of 5 or 6 students will effect the QUALITY of instructions. The Quality will not be the same. And INTEGRITY - well let me say this - I AGREE WITH YOU. But do you see whats out there - I live in NYC. almost all the full time schools that I pass by have attached MMA signs to them - like Tae Kwon Do MMA or Hung Gar Kung fu MMA. or Wing Chun MMA Kung fu. Where is the Integrity there. Again just my 3 cents.

I'm fine; thank you for asking! How are you?

While the student body might increase, the quality won't suffer at all. The quality I speak about is about the CI. If the CI lacks quality across the board, then, god forbid, so will the entire student body.

The integrity I'm referring to is the selling of rank to attract and keep students. The integrity that you speak about is deplorable, unless that school is qualified to teach MMA. The marketing can be short a ton of integrity, when theunless they separate the different programs. I still get a kick when I see "Karate" on the storefront when in actuality the school is a TKD dojang, and nothing else. However, I completely understand why they market the way that they do.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ton to quote and I just don't get how to do multiple post quotes like you guys do.

Sensei8 From the last post is like to say I agree I laugh when I see "Karate" on a building and it's a TKD school. 1 mile north of me this is the case, from a marketing standpoint to the average consumer who doesn't know the different this is competition because we both have a karate sign. They of corse are not karate. A friend of the family was here from Korea, and she isn't very up on American stuff. When I showed her my studio she said "karate is Japanese"! I said "to Americans they think it's all karate". I don't know if you guys have ever seen "kickin it", but he comes from a school in California which is primarily known for teaching Tang Soo Do, and the sign out front says karate. How about "no surrender" with van dam, in the beginning of the movie there is a scene at a studio which is karate, and has again "Tang Soo Do" window art. Technically "karate" is Japanese, BUT Tang Soo Do is very commonly referred to as karate. Why, I guess because it's a Korean variant of shotokan in reality. In my case I would prefer to have a sign that says "Martial Arts" but as you know sensei8, and others may know if they saw my post, I got the sign as a part of my deal. I could remove it, but I'm ok with it even if I don't teach traditional Japanese karate. It's similar to how I refer to my uniform as a "gi" or my studio as a "dojo". I grew up saying dojang for studio, and dobok for uniform. I count in Korean and can speak basic introductions in Korean as well as commands like "attention" and "begin"! I use English in my class, but I could use Korean and no other Asian language if I chose. Why do I use the Japanese words then? Popularity! I often assume many of you may not know what the heck I'm saying if I say I have a black "dobok" with red trim. If I say "gi" then I am understood and there is no need to answer questions and distract us from the real value in our conversation. Anyways lol...

I get what sensei8 is saying, I believe! If I'm right he is saying that one should certainly make buisness separate from the core ethics of the program. Keep my standards my standards and don't let buisness effect that, as even if it does it will even out in time as the core of the program will be true, and solid. About right? I agree. I agree. Thanks for the "I got your back" comment. We know each other through the Internet but I still find the supportive gesture a positive thing, so thanks.

Lowereastside I hear you. Here is how I look at numbers though. I run a class on average, of about 10 to 15. On certain days like sparring I put the classes together and can easily be over 20. When sparring it's not an issue because they need little instruction. We learn to spar by doing it, but on a different day we do drills and learn sparring concepts, so 20 or more can be run efficiently. On a day when we do Hyung/forms/kata/poomse (you like that? Lol) we break into groups of 3 to 5. Again, based on the way I split the groups I feel it is just as effective. The way I run the class will make the difference and I think that's what sensei is saying. My issue isn't with numbers as far as the quality, I feel more as though if I was to teach privately for free, and not as a "job" then I may set a standard differently then I do. I am often troubled by the feeling that if I hold a standard too high, then will too many people leave, as I believe we are in a society that desires certificates, fast rank, and not the lessons. I always sought out the technical aspects and cared little for rank, but that's me and I believe I'm an anomaly. That's my problem mostly, how to balance a gold standard, with a successful moving and growing business.

Nidan Melbourne I think that's incredibly smart to involve other programs/instructors into yours. The most you see this nowadays is with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Many places in the Phoenix area are offering this style in TKD places, and King fu places. Some are incorporating the style into their program, and others are subletting, meaning letting them use the space when it's available opposite of the main school program. I'm doing this, I found a guy that teaches Gracie Jiu-Jitsu in Phoenix, and he's coming in to run a few classes a week. I take a cut for him using my space and I also get to say "my business name here" also offers Brazilian Jiu -Jitsu even though I have very novice experience in the art myself. It's a win win to me. Also, these classes will be running at my new location while I'm at my old location so it fills in for me, very excited about it and hope it works out. The other things you mentioned like boxing are great ideas. I heve seen a good deal of success from yoga and Zumba classes as well. I'm looking to find some instructors but nothing yet. I do have a "maybe" from a tai chi guy though. Guess we'll see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: