Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Ballistic vs Static Stretching Reply with quote

To Ballistic or Static stretch always seems to be a topic of controversy between the experts.

I also have mixed opinions on this subject.

Those that are professionals, that have been stretching for many years and while doing so will most likely do ballistic stretching when they are at their peak of the warm up, is fine.

For those that didn't do stretching at a young age and are far from being a professional athlete, in my opinion shouldn't do ballistic stretching, as muscles can tear and ligaments can be on damaged.

This, I believe is where the controversy is, ballistic stretching for professionals is OK. Whereas novice athletes shouldn't ballistic stretch but instead static methods are safer and less damaging to the body.

We are after all in the instant gratification age, where patience wears thin for many people, so they give up.

What professional athletes have over the novice athlete is that the pros started off at an early age whereas the novices are the late bloomers.

Novice athletes copying the pros will intimately damage themselves, if not careful.

Professional athletes have professional coaches continually giving accurate advice whereas the novices doesn't have this luxury.

As martial artist we need accurate information to become as good as we want to be. Just because something is possible for one person, that this constitutes that it is possible for all is just not true.

Usually these professional martial artists are from a martial art family background more times than not. Whereas starting off young in martial arts is an obvious advantage, if there is not a big enough priority from the family
chances of become professional is slim.

Therefore ballistic stretching on a regular basis is fine for those that have grown up doing it; for the rest, take it easy.

My tip is to stretch intelligently.
How you may ask?

Not only to stretch both sides; this is just plain common sense, but perhaps something that is not so apparent is to stretch opposite muscle groups.

Why you may ask?
Reason is nature sometimes works in reverse.
Have you ever felt more stiffness from stretching? The reason is the tugging on muscles tells your brain to tense up, creating stiffness. So the trick is to trick yourself by stretching the opposite muscles creating them to become tense, this way the muscles you really want to stretch are becoming more relaxed.

Which exercises you may ask?
You do it in the Dojo when sitting on your calves. You are relaxing your hamstrings and tensioning your quads in the process. You can try out how well it works by seeing how much your forward toe touching improves, with this little experiment.

Many Japanese people sit this way for their entire life, perhaps this is a good way for you also, to improve your flexibility progressively in a none aggressive way.

Confucius said "If I teach you about one side of the table, then you must apply this lesson to the other three sides"

Meaning " Stretch more vigorously the opposite muscles you want to stretch and this will help to relax the other muscles alot more intelligently.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter what the experts say or what anyone else might say, I do whatever stretches I want to do, ballistic or static, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish at that time.

To me, ones not better or worse, or right or wrong, than the other; it's a personal preference!!

Imho!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballistic Stretching when you look at it can be potentially damaging to the muscle in itself. Health Professionals don't recommend this form of stretching due to the increased risk of tearing muscles, ligaments or tendons.

What a lot of athletes do is Peripheral Neuromuscular Facilitation these days when they are warm. As to allow an increase in ROM which is by far better for your joint and muscular health over Ballistic.

But Research is continually being performed on the matter, and dependent on their variables will have different outcomes as to whether it is safe or not to do. So maybe in the next 10-20 years it may be shown that it [Ballistic Stretching] may be ok to be performed by athletes and non-athletes alike.

Alan you are correct in saying that people should stretch smartly, because a lot of people will only stretch one muscle group and neglect the opposing muscle groups. Look at the Upper Legs: you have the Quadriceps and the Hamstrings, then the Abductors and Adductors on the inner + outer Thighs.

At the end of the day anyone and everyone can do any stretch that they want, and if they want to do so then they can do a Ballistic Stretch. As long as that they are aware of the potential risks that may be involved.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a relativity issue to ballistic stretching, what some people call ballistic stretching just doesn't look like it is to me.

Perhaps a term such as "Extreme Ballistic Stretching" might better describe the idea more clearly.

Also a term such as "Relaxed Static Stretching" also might be a better way to describe the idea.

It is great for me hear your views on stretching.
Yes it should be based on what a person wants to accomplish, exactly right on!

My personal goal for my own flexibility is to stay limber and supple for all my life, weather I do martial arts or not.

I do find the topic of flexibility to be underrated by the general population, something I am not willing to do.

There are many theories and methods of how to stretch and a variety of health benefits by practicing it.

Warrior postures, stretching by reaching and lunging is another interesting method to increase ROM

Movements using circular motions while reaching and stretching is also less stressful on the body while improving ROM

Stretching with the use of relaxation and gravity is also a useful way to improve ROM

Just an observation; have found that martial art and dance classes practice their stretching routines without taking into account age differences or abilities; as everyone should fit their curriculum mould.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: