Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

David Miller
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is completely off topic, but i could not be bother making a new topic for a single question every time. Anyways, the question that i wanted to ask is i know i'm not a black belt, but you know the embroidery of black belt. Once i went to this website and it said that only shihan's can use the colour amber for their black belt embroidery. So i wanted to ask does that apply in every shotokan school or do you have to ask your instructor for further information? Thanks

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color of embroidery allowed on your belt is entirely dependent upon your dojo and organization, so you will have to check with your Sensei to see what is allowed
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your Club and Organisation. At my dojo, once you become a Black Belt you can choose whatever color you want for embroidery (if any).

At the Present Time there are 4 different colors that the Black Belts have chosen for Embroidery. Yellow, Orange, Red or Silver.

I am one of the few people that have Yellow Embroidery, because when I received my BB it was the only one available by the manufacturer of the belt.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Miller wrote:
I know this is completely off topic, but i could not be bother making a new topic for a single question every time. Anyways, the question that i wanted to ask is i know i'm not a black belt, but you know the embroidery of black belt. Once i went to this website and it said that only shihan's can use the colour amber for their black belt embroidery. So i wanted to ask does that apply in every shotokan school or do you have to ask your instructor for further information? Thanks

I have not actually heard this before. The color of thread is controlled based on your grading? I thought that was what the color of the belt was for.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
David Miller wrote:

I have not actually heard this before. The color of thread is controlled based on your grading? I thought that was what the color of the belt was for.

I thought so too.

The organization I'm in uses amber/orange (I'm not good with colors nor their exact names) on all black belts, regardless of dan grade.

Curiosity question if I may...

How many people have to order/buy their own belt after being promoted to black belt? The organizations I'm familiar with issue them to the student rather than telling them to order their own belt. I've also never come across an organization that gives students the option of what their belt will look like - embroidery or not, embroidery colors, script/kanji and language, etc. Every organization I've been around did the school's name in kanji on one end, and the student's name on the other end, either in kanji or English with stripes where applicable. All embroidery is the same color for everyone.

Maybe that's a Japanese thing where uniformity is a high priority. I'm not hating the individuality, but honestly, it's just not for me. If I had the option to do what I wanted with my black belt, I'd probably get it embroidered in black. The black on black would be pretty cool in a stealthy way. I'd do it just because I could and for no other reason really.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
David Miller wrote:

I know, I quoted you twice for the same post, but they're different ideas...

I also don't understand why in some organizations different ranks wear different color gis, have different color trim on their gis, different patches (especially black belt club, instructor, and master). Doesn't the belt itself pretty much say all that? I'm ok with it for the little kids if it motivates them and all, but adults? Should an adult get an "awesome kicks!" patch? Do school aged children need honor roll patches on their gis? I see them in catalogs, so I know they're out there.

There's a local TKD school that allows students to buy gis (dobaks?) with trim on the lapel and stripes on the pants that matches their belt. That's not just for black belts either. Why? Are they fashion conscious and want their gis to make their belts "pop" or something? It's more likely a way to sell the students more stuff, but still.

I'm a fan of everyone wearing an all white gi (or all black if that's the tradition). School kanji and logos either embroidered or on as patches, and that's pretty much it. No huge logos and school names on the back, no multi-colored gis or "demo team" special gis, etc. I guess I'm old school, being 41 and all

David Miller
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my dojo, a lot of black belts wear red color embroidery and i have seen 2 students wear white and a couple of them wear yellow/gold as well. There was 1 student who had blue one, and the rest has red. When i asked them why does a lot of students wear red instead of you know white or any other color they say that they like the color red on their black belts.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
David Miller wrote:

I also don't understand why in some organizations different ranks wear different color gis, have different color trim on their gis, different patches (especially black belt club, instructor, and master). Doesn't the belt itself pretty much say all that? I'm ok with it for the little kids if it motivates them and all, but adults? Should an adult get an "awesome kicks!" patch? Do school aged children need honor roll patches on their gis? I see them in catalogs, so I know they're out there.

There's a local TKD school that allows students to buy gis (dobaks?) with trim on the lapel and stripes on the pants that matches their belt. That's not just for black belts either. Why? Are they fashion conscious and want their gis to make their belts "pop" or something? It's more likely a way to sell the students more stuff, but still.

I'm a fan of everyone wearing an all white gi (or all black if that's the tradition). School kanji and logos either embroidered or on as patches, and that's pretty much it. No huge logos and school names on the back, no multi-colored gis or "demo team" special gis, etc. I guess I'm old school, being 41 and all

I'm with you on the patches, multi colored gi's and the like.

Our Mudansha wear all white Gi and what ever color Obi they have been grade to. Once they reach Sandan the white Gi top is replaced with a black Gi top. Black belts are black. Embroidery doesn't matter.

We wear one patch. We don't teach kids under 16 so I guess a multitude of feel good patches and multi colored Obi and Gi's are not needed.

I think it comes down to ego really. All of the additional displays of rank and achievements go hand in hand with the multitude of titles and special licenses these days. I have seen special self defense certifications in some credentials on line. ??????????????? I thought that was what we were teaching. You get additional self defense lessons that warrant certification beyond the art of SELF DEFENSE?????????????

Bottom line... EGO! "Look at me strutting like a peacock with all of my special patches, muti-colored gi, special Obi, etc, etc. This shows I am better than you because you don't have these." But what do you expect from a society that gives trophies for losing? Everybody is a winner! Pretty sad.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
David Miller wrote:

I'm with you on the patches, multi colored gi's and the like.

Our Mudansha wear all white Gi and what ever color Obi they have been grade to. Once they reach Sandan the white Gi top is replaced with a black Gi top. Black belts are black. Embroidery doesn't matter.

We wear one patch. We don't teach kids under 16 so I guess a multitude of feel good patches and multi colored Obi and Gi's are not needed.

I think it comes down to ego really. All of the additional displays of rank and achievements go hand in hand with the multitude of titles and special licenses these days. I have seen special self defense certifications in some credentials on line. ??????????????? I thought that was what we were teaching. You get additional self defense lessons that warrant certification beyond the art of SELF DEFENSE?????????????

Bottom line... EGO! "Look at me strutting like a peacock with all of my special patches, muti-colored gi, special Obi, etc, etc. This shows I am better than you because you don't have these." But what do you expect from a society that gives trophies for losing? Everybody is a winner! Pretty sad.

I like your post. I guess us old stuck in our ways guys are a dying breed.

We wear all white gis. Seido Juku kanji on the left chest part of the gi, and our organization's logo (Nakamura's family crest; plum blossom) on the left sleeve. That's it. Yondan (sensei) and up usually have their title embroidered in significantly smaller kanji under the Seido Juku kanji. When they're promoted to yondan and up, they're given a new gi with their title embroidered on it.

I know a guy who trained at an American Karate school. They wore whatever gi they wanted, and even put whatever patches they wanted on them, so long as the patches were appropriate (didn't say master, weren't Girl Scout patches, etc). Their rationale was who cares what you're wearing, just train hard. I respect that, but I just couldn't ever do it. I saw a group picture of those guys in their gis. It gave me a headache after looking at it for about 10 seconds.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Miller wrote:
In my dojo, a lot of black belts wear red color embroidery and i have seen 2 students wear white and a couple of them wear yellow/gold as well. There was 1 student who had blue one, and the rest has red. When i asked them why does a lot of students wear red instead of you know white or any other color they say that they like the color red on their black belts.

That's what it comes down to at the end of the day, personal preference. The student has earned that belt, so how they choose to embroider it, if at all, is completely their choice.

Mine is in production right now and I went with gold embroidery, but others in the club have yellow, silver, orange and some don't have any.

Mo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: