Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Bicycle analogy for martial art techniques Reply with quote

There was a bicycle in the dojo. So I used it's dynamics as an example for using martial arts in one on one confrontation.

Many Chinese ma styles use animals and draw from their virtues. why not bicycle virtues also. The bicycle design has not changed that much from it's conception. Yes lots of changes and improvements but the overall two wheels and a framework. A seat and stearing has kept in line with the bicycling concept.

One aspect of the bicycle has changed considerably and that is the gear system. Timing in martial arts is crucial to succeed. Changing one's speed to be faster and striking more, just as if trying to go up hill on a bicycle and it is getting too difficult to move, changing gears helps to peddle faster. Same holds true slowing down but delivering more power in kicks and punches. Having control of one's own gear system, has to be advantage to better combative abilities.

Another bicycle analogy for fighting is to use the continuous rotation of the front wheel, to continuously barrage the opponent, as when using a variety of techniques in a succession. The momentum of the moment and movements let's the techniques flow naturally and effortlessly. Also each spoke of the wheel represents a punch or elbow strike, knee strike and so on ... that holds together your intent, that being you are the hub of the wheel.

The handlebars are always pointing in the direction that you are traveling in. Something to keep in mind when sparring with feet and hands. Personally I try to have everything aimed or pointed at my opponent, including focused intent.

The rear suspension and seat compresses and releases giving a smoother ride, same holds true when switching sides for compressing and releasing punches and the like.

As this topic can get dragged out too far, I'll try and keep this topic to the point. That being virtues are abundant, some of the simplistic things have deeper meanings.

Yinyang principle are often explained with the pedaling aspect of a bicycle, as one foot releases the other foot presses down to complete the cycle.

Perhaps you have a comparison that you use to explain martial art concepts. Would like to hear your versions also.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bicycle analogy for martial art techniques Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
There was a bicycle in the dojo. So I used it's dynamics as an example for using martial arts in one on one confrontation.

Many Chinese ma styles use animals and draw from their virtues. why not bicycle virtues also. The bicycle design has not changed that much from it's conception. Yes lots of changes and improvements but the overall two wheels and a framework. A seat and stearing has kept in line with the bicycling concept.

One aspect of the bicycle has changed considerably and that is the gear system. Timing in martial arts is crucial to succeed. Changing one's speed to be faster and striking more, just as if trying to go up hill on a bicycle and it is getting too difficult to move, changing gears helps to peddle faster. Same holds true slowing down but delivering more power in kicks and punches. Having control of one's own gear system, has to be advantage to better combative abilities.

Another bicycle analogy for fighting is to use the continuous rotation of the front wheel, to continuously barrage the opponent, as when using a variety of techniques in a succession. The momentum of the moment and movements let's the techniques flow naturally and effortlessly. Also each spoke of the wheel represents a punch or elbow strike, knee strike and so on ... that holds together your intent, that being you are the hub of the wheel.

The handlebars are always pointing in the direction that you are traveling in. Something to keep in mind when sparring with feet and hands. Personally I try to have everything aimed or pointed at my opponent, including focused intent.

The rear suspension and seat compresses and releases giving a smoother ride, same holds true when switching sides for compressing and releasing punches and the like.

As this topic can get dragged out too far, I'll try and keep this topic to the point. That being virtues are abundant, some of the simplistic things have deeper meanings.

Yinyang principle are often explained with the pedaling aspect of a bicycle, as one foot releases the other foot presses down to complete the cycle.

Perhaps you have a comparison that you use to explain martial art concepts. Would like to hear your versions also.

Solid post!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more qualities that bicycles have in common with martial arts.

Balance is all important to keep it while in motion. The motion keeps us in balance on the bicycle. Keeping oneself balance is crucially important for martial artists. Unbalancing the opponent is very effective also.

There is a center line that needs to be maintained while bicycling other wise we would fall off. Understanding center line theory in martial arts adds a whole new dimension for the user. Adding power to one's own techniques and countering when the opponent crosses their own centre line.

The rear wheel power and the rear foot power, both combined with gravity and momentum propelling the user forward.

Bicycles work for us humans because we can (with practice) integrate our body mechanics with that of a mechanism designed specifically for our body movements. Amazingly bicycling makes us stronger and fitter just like martial arts. Just as damaging when falling down also.

Martial arts works for us because just like the bicycle it can propel us in extra ordinary ways.

The wheel is mankind's greatest invention... maybe bicycles belong in the dojo after all; certainty bicycle theory is welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: