Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Clarifying Okinawa martial arts to Chinese; as requested.

Chinese martial art theory contains Lao Tzu, Confucianism, Yin/Yang theory, Bagua, Chinese medicine, energy and chi theory, Animal and insect bio mechanics and mannerisms, human bio mechanics, I-Ching, the elements of water, wind, metal, wood, mountains, earth and heaven..

Understood. With that explanation I agree 100% with what you stated.

Thanks for the clarification.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Standards, and the lowering of it, imho, are the sweet candy!!

Knowing that the standards aren't as strict as they use to be, and this is motivated by the greed of money. There was a time when, no matter where you were learning the MA, the standards across the board were very strict, and no apologies were given for those very extreme standards.

You want it...EARN IT!! If you don't want to earn it under MY expectations, then I insist that you just get off my floor immediately.

The greed of money has lowered standards to an all low around the world. I don't think that this problem is found in Japan and Okinawa...but I could be wrong. After all, for every time that I've traveled to either location in the past, and I've been fortunate enough to have visited and trained in either, I never saw any evidence of it.

Please let that be the one place where that's the furthest thing from realty!!

I agree but I don’t believe it’s only money making the standards go lower. Sometimes it’s the desire to succeed and the instructor feeling as though he needs to hand out rank in order to keep students happy/motivated. I have witnessed this with my own eyes. I have also seen a guy who was very friendly with the instructor, earn his 2nd dan in 1 year from his black belt, and better still a 3rd dan in another 1 year from his second.

I’m not saying a guy can’t put in a great deal of hours and accelerate a bit faster, however the skill level/time put in/abilities didn’t add up to the rank given in my personal opinion.

I once denounced any time in rank requirements, I have since changed my opinion because there will always be those that abuse it, weather if it’s for money or it’s friendship, or fear of students leaving. Time in rank (can’t believe I’m saying this) is a very good safty net to ensure at least some higher level of training takes place before Rank is handed down. In the UFAF one is required 3 years to earn a 1st dan, I think it’s fair. Some will say it should take 7 or even 10, but that’s your call to make on weather you respect that. At least there is a higher standard then a 3rd dan in 3 total years of training SMH!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With higher rank, usually comes with it more money and responsibility, in a military perspective, however in the dojo higher ranks should pay less dues/money as their responsibilities increases by helping the CI.

During battles, higher ranks were given out to replace those who were unable to continue in the battle due to attrition.

Perhaps there is a balance of ranks needed in the dojo and promoting some faster than others makes up for those no longer there.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With higher rank, usually comes with it more money and responsibility, in a military perspective, however in the dojo higher ranks should pay less dues/money as their responsibilities increases by helping the CI.

During battles, higher ranks were given out to replace those who were unable to continue in the battle due to attrition.

Perhaps there is a balance of ranks needed in the dojo and promoting some faster than others makes up for those no longer there.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

Although you are most likely right I can not think of a worse reason to give grade. You either have earned it or you haven't. Not having enough of a certain grade is no reason to promote.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Although you are most likely right I can not think of a worse reason to give grade. You either have earned it or you haven't. Not having enough of a certain grade is no reason to promote.

Heh, I suppose the same logic could then be used to demote. "Hey, we need more yellow belts. You there! I'm demoting you by 2! Get your old belt!"

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demotion of rank happens in the military why not in the dojo, perhaps if a black belt beats up a white belt, would be a good enough reason.

Also the expression "Too many Chiefs and not enough Indian" has a valid point here.

I personally don't promote or demote, as I'm not in favor of belt ranking systems.

As I'm not affiliated with any military pretend or real organizations.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Chinese clubs use the older/younger brother or sister system where the CI is the father/mother figure.

New students are the younger brother or sister and those who were there first are the older brother or sister.

A Confucius influence in martial arts.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Demotion of rank happens in the military why not in the dojo, perhaps if a black belt beats up a white belt, would be a good enough reason.

Also the expression "Too many Chiefs and not enough Indian" has a valid point here.

I personally don't promote or demote, as I'm not in favor of belt ranking systems.

Yes I guess you could demote based on inappropriate behavior.

However the facts are the facts. If you have earned something you have it whether it's on paper or around your waste. You can not take away knowledge or the skill that has been attained so I see little effect in removing grade. If your going to go to that extent it would be better to just kick them out of class.

On the opposite side, if you have not earned something it doesn't matter what is on paper or around your waste you are not that grade, period!
You are nothing more than a paper tiger.

And the difference between the military and the Dojo is one very important factor, you go home to your family at the end of class and never have to return if you do not wish to and nothing will happen to you.

I get that because of some schools training methods you might liken it to the military but trust me it's nothing like it.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Yes I guess you could demote based on inappropriate behavior.

However the facts are the facts. If you have earned something you have it whether it's on paper or around your waste. You can not take away knowledge or the skill that has been attained so I see little effect in removing grade. If your going to go to that extent it would be better to just kick them out of class.

On the opposite side, if you have not earned something it doesn't matter what is on paper or around your waste you are not that grade, period!
You are nothing more than a paper tiger.

And the difference between the military and the Dojo is one very important factor, you go home to your family at the end of class and never have to return if you do not wish to and nothing will happen to you.

I get that because of some schools training methods you might liken it to the military but trust me it's nothing like it.

I want to listen to a group of instructors insist that taking away the students rain is acceptable. I absolutely agree with what you said, you earned the rain because of the knowledge and somebody said you were competent to perform the curriculum, you can’t just take that away once they have achieved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: