Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Body Flow In Martial Arts Reply with quote

Before getting to the point about body flow in martial arts, I would like to deviate from it for a while.

The reason for this deviation is because, body flow comes natural over time with practice but for the beginner or none martialist it does take time to learn.

Know it or not, many none martial artist know how to use fighting techniques picked up from watching MMA.

Therefore the techniques that were shown and practiced behind closed doors doesn't exist anymore.

These random fighting techniques combined with other physical sports can make for a formidable opponent.

The gap between martial artists and none martial artists is becoming closer all the time.

The winning edge martial artists once had is slowly diminishing due to the openness of MMA.

Then the question to be asked is, how can martial artists regain that fighting winning edge that was once there?

I believe a part of the answer (a fragment) is locked away in body flow.

It could be said that footwork and punching or kicking techniques are also important; yes they are, they are also contained in body flow.

Punching or kicking, bobbin and weaving, or side stepping, forward and backwards are also contained in body flow.

None martial artists don't have an arsenal of techniques to draw from but what they do have is a few techniques that work well for them, but what they don't have is body flow.

This is why in a fight none martial artists give it their best shot and run out of ideas, then starts the brawling; which is a type of body flow as crude as it may appear.

Body flow works because of the "Don't think feel" principle.

I could upload some links portraying body flow, but first I wanted to see how important this topic is to other martial artists.

All martial art styles use body flow principles, how important is it to you?

I will be happy to (next time around) video links to those that posses this body flow quality in abundance.

I consider this topic of "Body flow" to be a very important ingredient for all martial artists; with your valid opinions and questions we can all improve our MA skills collectively.

Do you know of a Body Flow video link worth watching; if so please post it here; Thank you!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Body flow is an important element/principal; one that can't be overlooked.

Well, it can be overlooked, and as your opponent, I'll use that which you've overlooked to my advantage.

It's like anything in the MA, the body working together, and at its exact moment, and not any sooner and/or later.

Stretching, another vitally important type of body flow, helps maintain the bodies health. Performing the variety of stretches before engaging in any physical activities prevent injuries. If injured, then the other type of body flows are hampered, and if one is hampered, then one is doomed.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sensei8 you have earned my deepest respect and gratitude.

Body flow, one movement connected to another.

OK I'm going to pick a moment in time that first comes to mind.

Had told my Tai Chi teacher, that I had won a gold medal for sparring in the provincials for TKD.

You need to realize that he has forty years experience on the subject.

He just gave me a satisfied grin of gratitude.

His wife also a Tai Chi instructor asked me "How did you win?"

It was just before the class was to begin, so the short version was necessary.

She (His wife) always commented on how fast I could move.

(I was involved in many motorcycle and car accidents) in my youth.

My answer was "I move quick as not to get hurt and hit back fast, as not to give them a another chance to do it again"

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understand what you refer to as body flow, although perhaps not. I'm looking at it as one technique naturally flows into another with minimal stopping, shifting of weight, etc.

Within that context, body flow is critical. It keeps the attack going, the counter as quick as possible, and so on. The transition between one technique to another, be it an attack combo, a defensive combo, or a defensive to attack combo, should be seemless.

For example - (left foot forward) left jab, right cross, back foot right roundhouse kick. The jab turns your shoulders just enough to get a little more wind up in your cross. The momentum from the cross gives your roundhouse kick more power. And there's no stuttering, stopping, minimal shifting of weight, etc. Movement is efficient when techniques flow into each other smoothly. That's easily a make or break thing.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Body flow is vitally important, if you don't get the flow right you can't get the correct power and sharpness.

For example the combinations I just done at my dan grade, one of them anyway: zensinshite jodan, renzuki chudan, surikomi maegeri, nagashizuki jodan, gyakuzuki chudan.

From the maeger to nagashizuki if your feet don't land in line, then you're not in the correct position for the nagash and your punch will land off target and without power.

And from the nagash to gyaguzuki, if you don't open your stance back up into a gyakuzuki stance then your heels remain in line leaving you open to being swept and also you can't get the hip movement in to perform a correct gyakuzuki, again, leaving you short of power.

Although it might seem natural to us, beginners don't realise they are fighting against their own bodies if they don't get the flow right, I think they can feel it's not quite how it should be but, can't just get the understanding of why it's not feeling right.

Body flow should be natural but, ironically it takes lots of practice to master it.

Mo.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although non-martial artists may not have the catalogue of techniques that MAists have to pull from, if they are any kind of an athlete, then they will be adept at moving their body to do what they want it to. They have good kinesthetic awareness and some natural talent that works in their favor.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is great that we are all on the same page here on the topic of body flow.

Here is a video I have singled out for the beginner martial artists by Val Riazanov (Russian Systema "Bio-Mechanics" martial artist) while he was giving a seminar in Dallas, Texas.

This segment is called "Dealing with punches"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGsAxZF-AjA

He doesn't mention body flow, yet his understanding of it is very plausible.

Please note that body flow movements are better used in self defense situations and not in a competitive way.

The reason for this is that body flow (MA) movements unfold or layer one movement in to another.

While in sport there is a tap and point awarded factor, that is to get in (a point) and out (not to be countered) mindset.

As mentioned earlier, each martial art style contains body flow.

In Fung Fu (Real fighting) it is expressed very differently than Systema; I'm looking forward to put it on the table for an analysis also...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: