Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:34 am    Post subject: Bringing out Intensity Reply with quote

I have a friend who is a 15-year-old ex-ballerina of 8 years. Now, she is on our dojo's demonstration team that I'm a member of.
She's very quiet.
She has beautiful technique, and has all the other parts down: stances, etc. Now she needs intensity. Basically, she needs to yell louder and really get into it. She could be such an awesome martial artist if she just had this one last piece to the puzzle!
I've tried to counsel her on this a couple times, and I know she's trying very hard. Her yells are getting louder than before, but they're still barely audible. She's asked me what it meant to be intense, but I didn't really know how to explain it.
The problem is, I've rarely ever seen this girl get angry, and I've NEVER seen her be loud. My question is:

How do I get her to be intense? What can I do?

I've thought about calling to her from across a parking lot, just to see if she would yell back. Problem is, I think she'd just walk over and talk

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps rather then getting her to do something she is not comfortable with you should suggest to her that perhaps an art like tai chi would be more to her liking

I AM CANADIAN

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i think if she is unconfident with yelling and stuff then she wont be more confident if you try and make her. just be proud of the way she is. mayb ask your sensei to have a little chat?

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I know for a fact you can not fake emotion. If you try it looks bad ans sloppy. You don't need to shout to have emotion.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. She has to yell because she's on the Demo Team. Like it or not.
2. Even if there were any Tai Chi places around here, her dad would freak out.
3. My instructor assigned ME to have this chat with her, figuring it would be better coming from a girl than one of the guys...and I'm the only other girl!
4. Emotion CAN be faked; actors do it all the time My point is, my instructor is always talking about how we're actors and actresses and must make it LOOK real. We use loud and fast-paced music. Yelling loud is a must.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can conjure up some emotion by visualization and act upon this emotion to intensify behaviour. True, actors use this all the time. (I took some drama in college).
We use this on our kids in class during "breaking" ... "Your little brother just broke your new toy...blah, blah, blah".... WOW, you sure do get a response.... board breaks..... works every time!

This is how it works. You pick an emotional experience from your past or create a scenario from the present (but not one so traumatic and deeply buried that you'll require a therapist to get you through it!).
Try to visualize all the sights, sounds, smells, etc., as vividly as possible as you proceed through the actions in your mind. By the time you get to the climax, you should be feeling some of the same emotions you felt in the past. If you don't, don't be concerned ... just try another incident. Again, the goal here is not to force yourself to deal with forgotten past experiences... it's to find those experiences which you can use to stimulate your emotional responses. Any event that does that, even if it's small and stupid ... (like the possibility of someone breaking your favorite toy ... or stealing away your new boyfriend) is valid.

Another exercise is to use animal imagery to create a character. Observe the real animal, in nature or in the zoo, and then try to mimic its movements and sounds. Eventually you will tone down this realistic imitation and "humanize" the animal qualities into a physical/vocal traits.
How about having her imagine she is a tiger?

Some people are just not able to taps deep emotional resources or choose not to. I believe this is a outward personality trait ... some people just are not very confident emotionally.
If she wants it bad enough (being part of the demo team) she needs to work at it.... want it badly enough to "perform".

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a situation like that with one of the female students in our University club. THis girl has great technique, could knock a horse through a wall with one of her punches or c=kicks, but seems related to Harry the Hamster from another thread when it comes to Kiai. Several of us discussed the theoy behind Kiai with her (i.e. Kiaijutsu, NOT simply "screaming your lungs out." ). This helped.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: