Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

karate_woman
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kickboxing,Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate, Judo, JuJitsu,T'ai Chi, QiGong

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Calming Black Belt Grading Jitters in Students Reply with quote

I was training on Monday night and during class a brown belt about 6 months away from being eligible for her black belt grading started talking about how nervous she was about her black belt grading, and didn't think she could do it. She wondered aloud about a "practice grading" so she'll know what to expect, and seems rather concerned about it. She even went up to Sensei towards the end of the class and talked directly to him about it. Sensei tried to reassure her, but it evidently didn't work because in the change room after class she told me she didn't think she could do it. Now, I have my shodan, and yes, it was a hell of a grading, but it never crossed my mind that I couldn't do it..I expected it to be difficult, and challenging, and was told to "expect the unexpected", but didn't ever feel it was impossible.

Now, it seems to me somewhat of a tradition for martial artists to talk about the difficulty of black belt gradings. All it did to me was make me try harder, so I'd be able to do it, but does the difficulty of the black belt grading make many people quit? Have you noticed this? I said a few small things to her, but is there anything that can be said that can help? I may have been more comfortable if I'd met her earlier, but I just returned to the dojo after a 3 year absence, so she doesn't know me very well, nor me her.

I think is really an internal struggle she's going through, and the only place she'll find the strength to face her fear of the black belt grading is from within, but if anyone has any suggestions from an instructor's perspective let me know.

-Lao-Tse

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's any way to completely elminate the nerves that go with a black belt test. When I tested for mine, I was very nervous...it was going to be a big test (6 other students testing with me, and several blackbelts from outside of our dojo came to spar us), and I had my doubts about myself. Most of them left my mind once the testing began, though, and I fell into the rhythm of things.

However, if she's THAT nervous, her nerves could get in the way of properly training for the next 6 months. Try to encourage her and stroke her ego a little bit. Tell her about her strengths and the things she's good at. To disguise the fact that it's a pep talk, tell her about a few minor things she could fix...but end the conversation with some points of encouragement. Relate your testing experience to her. Remind her of how many people have tested and passed for black belt...sometimes a little "if they can do it, you can" helps.
Someone (whether it's you, a sensei or a friend of hers) could offer to help her train for the next 6 months. Whether it's necessary or not, it can make her feel like she's doing something positive towards her test, making some progress.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nerves are healthy. The purpose of a test is to see how you react under pressure. The "big" black belt tests, i.e. Ist, IIId, Vth dan are more stressful than the others . They are the "milestones' if you will I-dan is the jump to "serious student" status. III-dan is simlar to finishing high school and entering the level of University.
At V-dan you have reached a level similar to that of someone with an MA in a discipline. Many peopl quit before they test for Shodan becasue they don't think they can handle the stress. By quittting they prove that they couldn't. Your friend needs all the encouragement she can get. Shodan is a big step, but millions of people before her have passed,and millions will afterword.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of becomming a black belt is being able to step up to the plate and get over fear. Loosing to a better person is fine but loosing to fear is not. This will be one of the greatest lessons she learns when becomming a black belt more so than how to throw a roundhouse and do a kata.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: