Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Charlotte
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Oh Do KwanTKD,JKD,TSD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKD, karate and Okinawa-te tend to be taught from the perspective of position. Even some chinese systems are position based and position is never unimportant, but there is a tradition of martial arts that places more emphasis on flow. The flow systems are really enlightening to someone coming from a position based system.
The problem I see with your inquiry, (I like the question and I'm not being dismissive) is that the question is much bigger. The block does not exist in a vacuum, it comes from a flow from there to here. I never understood the X block until I got involved in Filipino Kali and realized that it wasn't what I thought it was. Any block is loaded from the previous position out of necessity and any competent system is going to be consistent with that. Position based systems obscure the loading principle, but it is there and once you see it classical martial arts start to look a lot more interesting.

Charlotte
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Oh Do KwanTKD,JKD,TSD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is tai chi, notice any similarities?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: