Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sansoouser
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: san soo, judo,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: catch-as-catch-can wrestling Reply with quote

Does anyone know what this is before I go on? It was the stuff ancient greeks used on persian inavders and the thing abe lincoln used to smash some bodys butt on the frontier. Good ol catch as catch can wrestling!

aznkarateboi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: shaolin gung fu southern style

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the devil?

sansoouser
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: san soo, judo,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's like UFC thing, no holds barred, well actually more like WWE but actually doing the moves to people, it's very painful and brutal and don't practice the dangerous moves in competition anymore.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, the facts: catch wrestling is not like the WWE. It is the old style of submission wrestling popularized in the 1900's. These guys were real pro wrestlers, who knew how to really hurt you. They were called shooters. They used a lot of the moves, pins and leg locks that you see in pancrase. It is NOT fake. Judo Gene Lebell is a catch wrestler and a dangerous one. Look up Tony Cecchine. He is a good one. catch has a lot of moves that are painful like you wouldnt believe. It is probably the most complete of the ground systems. I can say that because I have 10 years of bjj, sombo and judo under my belt. Catch, when taught by the real deal guys are no joke

Tibby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JuJutsu(Judo), Isshinryu Karate, Boxing, Fencing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your both right, it is like UFC, and it is where the WWE comes from. This is an American style. The Greeks had a similer art, they would cover then selves in oil, and wrestle in the buff, till one of them broke. Catch-as-catch-can wrestling started in the Carnvals, they would travel across the country side, and set up a ring like they use in the WWE in a tent, and the local good ol' boys would be able to challange the Wrestlers. Scratching, biting, etc, etc, it was all legal. Remimber, this was a time before TVs and all that good stuff. The Carnvals arn't nearly as popular as they where today. It formed into a serous sport, and a big part of the phycial culture of the era.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: