Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

darkhoogan
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Changing Karate Styles Reply with quote

Hello

I have been learning shotokan karate since 2002 and managed to acheive a black belt (1st dan) 2 years ago. However I am now off to university where the only karate style taught is wado ryu. Can someone help me understand the differences between shotokan and wado ryu? I understand it is "softer" but don't really get how much of the basic moves are different.

Also what is the system for belts when changing styles, would i need to start over at white, or could I stay 1st dan? And if i did have to startover at white is it possible to skip grades/advance fast through the new style, because I am only at university 4 years and it took me 7 years to get a black belt in shotokan.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Karate Styles Reply with quote

darkhoogan wrote:
Hello

I have been learning shotokan karate since 2002 and managed to acheive a black belt (1st dan) 2 years ago. However I am now off to university where the only karate style taught is wado ryu. Can someone help me understand the differences between shotokan and wado ryu? I understand it is "softer" but don't really get how much of the basic moves are different.

Also what is the system for belts when changing styles, would i need to start over at white, or could I stay 1st dan? And if i did have to startover at white is it possible to skip grades/advance fast through the new style, because I am only at university 4 years and it took me 7 years to get a black belt in shotokan.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Well, the founder of Wado-Ryu trained with Gichin Funakoshi at some point, if I remember correctly, and I don't think they put a whole lot of emphasis on the study of bunkai but I could be wrong--there are some Wado-Ryu stylists that will likely come around and be able to give you more detail on the stylistic differences between Wado-Ryu and Shotokan.

As far as the belt goes you should ask the instructor. Most people on here will tell you to wear a white belt, which makes sense because you do not have any rank in Wado-Ryu, but I think it is best to ask the instructor. The instructor may want you to wear a white belt, or your black belt, or maybe something in between because you aren't a black belt in Wado-Ryu but you also aren't a white belt level practitioner of karate, in general. Have a white belt on hand and ask the instructor what they would prefer.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

cyriades
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado ryu has more of an emphasis on lighter stances and body shifting. Sadly on the tournament scene, Wado ryu and Shotokan look about the same - traditionally both styles have a very unique flavor. Shotokan emphasizes deeper stances to develop the legs and powerful movement. Here is a good debate on the technical differences -

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=7243428139&topic=3530

The techniques and kata also tend to have a lot of differences in the way body mechanics are used. Here's a video example of Jion -

Wado ryu style Jion -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1D9nWqtzBc

Shotokan style Jion -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw2nB8HR5CA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado is an Excellent way to continue your martial Arts training
It takes what you learnt in Shotokan and gives you a different ethos to your forms.

The stances are much shorter, the Knife hands in the kata are done differently in Wado compared to Shotokan.
Wado'ists work more on body motion, Tai Sabaki,
you'll spend more time on the Pinans/Heians than any other Kata so research on You tube the differences in them, enjoy it and be open to the changes,

Sometimes it will be "emptying your cup" before you can proceed with refilling it

sojobo
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-ryu Karate-do, Nihon Koryu Budo, Iaido, Kenjutsu, Traditional Jujutsu, Aiki-Jujutsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado-ryu is quite different from the modern Shotokan of today.

As well as the obvious physical differences there are also ones of approach.

Yes, Wado does emphasise body movement and evasion but actually, all styles have this.

As mentioned by another Wado stylist don’t “typically” utilse the process of Bunkai in the same way as the Okinwan karate stylists do, but the flip to this is that we have an extensive range of paired kata and paired exercises. Many of which have their origins in the Koryu Bujutsu.

Another difference perhaps is that Wado seeks to attain and hold "Sente" - which could be quite new for you.

At higher levels you will realise that Wado has more in common with Shindo Yoshin Ryu than it does Okinwan Karate, but with only 4 years at Uni you are unlikely to get to that stage.

As far as keeping the belt is concerned, many Uni clubs let you keep what you have.

Sojobo

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

James L
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Karate Styles Reply with quote

darkhoogan wrote:

One of my sensei has a system I like a lot. Anyone coming into his dojo new to our style starts at white belt, regardless of any rank thy may hold in other styles.

Then, after an appropriate amount of time, they will grade to whatever level in our style the sensei feels is appropriate.

As an example, we had a gentleman come into our dojo who held a dan grade in shotokan (we train goju ryu). This gentleman trained consistently 3 classes per week, worked hard, but as those familiar with the styles knows it takes some time to make the shift to the "goju" way of doing things from shotokan.

The next dojo grading was about 6 months afer this gentleman started. At that gradng he was graded from white to green belt, which was where my sensei felt he was performing in our style. I like this method because it respected his past training while ensuring the quality in our dojo remained high.

Incidentally he is now a brown belt a year and a half in.

Ueshirokarate
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi, BJJ and a little bit of Judo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Karate Styles Reply with quote

James L wrote:
darkhoogan wrote:

One of my sensei has a system I like a lot. Anyone coming into his dojo new to our style starts at white belt, regardless of any rank thy may hold in other styles.

Then, after an appropriate amount of time, they will grade to whatever level in our style the sensei feels is appropriate.

As an example, we had a gentleman come into our dojo who held a dan grade in shotokan (we train goju ryu). This gentleman trained consistently 3 classes per week, worked hard, but as those familiar with the styles knows it takes some time to make the shift to the "goju" way of doing things from shotokan.

The next dojo grading was about 6 months afer this gentleman started. At that gradng he was graded from white to green belt, which was where my sensei felt he was performing in our style. I like this method because it respected his past training while ensuring the quality in our dojo remained high.

Incidentally he is now a brown belt a year and a half in.

Sounds like the best way to go. I cringe at the thought of studying another style of karate. The style I have trained is so deep in my dna now. I trained judo, but feel that it is more complementary to karate than antagonistic (like another style can be to you). I feel for the OP. That stinks that you can't find a Shotokan school close by. It is such a ubiquitous style too.

I have trained with many others who have taken other styles. Their other style always sneaks out at some point.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Karate Styles Reply with quote

Ueshirokarate wrote:

I have trained with many others who have taken other styles. Their other style always sneaks out at some point.

Totally agree with you there, I studied Wado for 4 years but when the styles began to overlap, I respected the Sensei enough to decide to leave because I didn't want to disagree with him over techniques etc.

I only practice Naihanchi (Tekki Shodan) and Niseishi (Nijushiho) now, everyrhing else has been enveloped into my style

Wado is definitely an excellent style to study

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Karate Styles Reply with quote

Dobbersky wrote:
Totally agree with you there, I studied Wado for 4 years but when the styles began to overlap, I respected the Sensei enough to decide to leave because I didn't want to disagree with him over techniques etc.

Were you studying another style at the time? I can see the point in not studying Wado at University and Shotokan at home in the holidays but I have never found an unsurmountable problem in spending a few years practising one style exclusively and then changing to another. But then again, being a nomad I have had to get used to being at a dojo for three years maximum before moving on because of work. If it is the difference between practising karate and not practising karate then I would recommend going with what is available rather than lamenting the lack of Shotokan and doing nothing.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Karate Styles Reply with quote

Derwentbob wrote:
Dobbersky wrote:

Were you studying another style at the time? .

I was practicing/Teaching Ashihara Karate, as well as practicing Wado Ryu.

Derwentbob wrote:
I can see the point in not studying Wado at University and Shotokan at home in the holidays but I have never found an unsurmountable problem in spending a few years practising one style exclusively and then changing to another. But then again, being a nomad I have had to get used to being at a dojo for three years maximum before moving on because of work. If it is the difference between practising karate and not practising karate then I would recommend going with what is available rather than lamenting the lack of Shotokan and doing nothing.

Agree with you there, my friend. Its best when 2 styles are so similar yet so different to pick one or the other. If the OP, prefers his ShotoKan, if you speak withe the Sensei, I am sure he will allow you to train with him but just do the Kata the Shotokan way so as not to cause confusion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: