Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Cheating On Your Flexibility Training? Reply with quote

Are you cheating on your flexibility training?

Martial artists are recommend to stretch three times a day.

But really, if a person is cheating on their flexibility routines, then it doesn't matter how many times they stretch, because in all likelihood, it isn't doing them any good and soon after, they will quit, due to poor results.

Then how does a martial artist know if the stretching routine they are doing is correct or not?

Many martial artists turn to Yoga to find the answer or ballet and gymnastics.
To turn to other measures other than martial art for flexibility help, isn't fixing the problem, if in reality the problem is due to cheating on flexibility training methods.

To use a metaphor like cleaning the house. If a person cuts corners and doesn't clean properly then, it isn't smelling as good as it should be. Then over time continuing the pattern of not cleaning thoroughly mold and bacteria take over.

Till its too late and the house needs fumigation.

Now imagine you are the house, you own it so it is your responsibility to take care of it.

What do people want to do to a house, once they own it, renovations of course!

Now the next question is, how much time and effort does a person want to spend on it?

If the house is for a quick resale then as little time and money as possible is the answer.

But what if that person wants to live out the rest of their life in this house till the day they die?

Then renovating the house properly "Without cutting corners" is sensible and advisable, because if not renovated properly, problems will eventually catch up with the sub standard workmanship.

Throwing money at fixing problems doesn't usually help, but understanding the problem with time and patience is a step in the right direction.

So back on topic to renovate or improve flexibility for the rest of your life is an investment.

I like to look at it this way, flexibility is a work in progress project. It is not possible to buy it and it is not possible to hire someone to do it for you.

Flexibility is your responsibility and yours alone.

People that are flexible have maintained it or have regained it due to regular practice methods.

Muscles need maintaining otherwise they stop working.

The same idea applies to ligaments, joints and bones, they need attention also.

Back to the renovation of the house idea. Bones are the structure including the foundation, without it we will all fall down.

But unlike a house we have moving parts, yes and a Wind Mill also has moving parts, equivalent to joints and ligaments.

To renovate the Wind Mill house, including all of its moving parts need to be maintained otherwise it will cease to work properly and instead of being a functional viable structure, it will fall victim to neglect and decay.

Renovations no matter the project need plans and diagrams, time, money and materials, also a labor force.

Flexibility requires a deep understanding of human structural anatomy such as bones, joints, ligaments and muscles. Also how these change throughout the human life cycle.

The reason for this, is that there are different changes to be aware of to prevent injuries when stretching depending on age.

As people become older pain becomes an issue therefore exercises become more difficult or impossible.

Older people feel more pain than younger people do, therefore to avoid the pain, their range of motion will suffer also.

The old man and wind mill both seized up due to lack of due care and attention of proper maintenance skills.

This is where "Proper maintenance skills" are required to maintain and improve flexibility throughout a person's life.

Could call it "Flexibility insurance"

Would you buy a cheap house insurance policy for your home?

Luckily enough; Flexibility insurance costs only minutes a day.

Think of it as (with another stretch of the imagination) a "Flexibility Savings Account" Every minute you stretch in the present you will get back in the future.

But with one exception "No cheating on your flexibility training"

How is this done?

By activating or engaging all of your joints and ligaments first and muscles join in softly, relaxed, calm without unnecessary tension. Never rush this aspect, communication and understanding of oneself is the key "Yoga" means unity.

The spine should be allowed to join in with this unity with the one major condition of having proper posture at all times.

Where the head goes the body follows and the spine bends.

Shoulders and chest, should also be a part of the flexibility mix; exaggerating dry swimming movements, reaching, twisting, contracting and expanding; all the while inhaling deeply and gently expulsing the breath into relaxed postures.

The hips need to become popular again as in the "Hippy Generation"
Make love not war; hips have become neglected, as once upon a time they were an asset.

Where hips are still traditionally very important is in Ballet "Turnout"

As the foundation for Ballet is the hip turnout, something serious martial artists need to investigate and explore the possibilities there of.

For example "The Scorpion Kick" isn't very challenging for a Ballet dancer, yet for most martial artists, it is beyond their range of motion.

Flexibility without cheating becomes an art.

Any questions?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid OP, Alan; you make many great points!!

At the cuspid of turning 60 years old, ::shudders::, I make sure that I at least stretch morning, afternoon, and evening...and anytime I go to the gym...and before I do anything strenuous.

Of course, when I owned my own dojo, I'd stretch along with the students while I was leading the class. That could be as many as 12 classes a day, 6 days a week. Also, whenever I was at the Hombu, I'd lead the class, but not until we all stretched before hand, and that could be as many as 17 classes a day.

Stretching is vital to my MA betterment.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Solid OP, Alan; you make many great points!!

At the cuspid of turning 60 years old, ::shudders::, I make sure that I at least stretch morning, afternoon, and evening...and anytime I go to the gym...and before I do anything strenuous.

Of course, when I owned my own dojo, I'd stretch along with the students while I was leading the class. That could be as many as 12 classes a day, 6 days a week. Also, whenever I was at the Hombu, I'd lead the class, but not until we all stretched before hand, and that could be as many as 17 classes a day.

Stretching is vital to my MA betterment.

Thanks sensei8.

I'm 6 decades young.

Had days like Uma Thurman in the movie "Kill Bill" starting out the day by trying to move my big toe.

Then about five hours later I'm staircase sprinting.

It really is mind over matter.

As martial artists we can overcome many obstacles, that are placed in front of us.

Age is an obstacle for many people; if they choose to give in to it.

I have taken command of my own vessel, by living a healthy lifestyle; this is the true essence of a master; to have mastery over oneself.

Luckily enough having time on my hands to observe people and to see that many have lost or never had a healthy lifestyle.

Flexibility isn't really about having high kicks. It is about enjoying a high quality of life with the simple joy of moving without unnecessary aches and pains.

I do of course have stiff muscles and joints from being physically active but this soon dissipates (due to lactic acid buildup) then I'm back at it again ASAP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: