Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ryukasagi
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: AKKI Kenpo.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Chi Knockouts Reply with quote

Hi, i was just wondering what you guys think about Chi Knockouts that people like George Dillman claim to do?

Personally i think they're bogus but i'd like to hear your opinions on them and any evidence you have for them.

Thanks.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i'd agree that they seem exceedingly hokey - they remind me of hypnosis things, where the practitioners convince themselves they can be KOed by doing certain things, then lo and behold their training buddies KO them. I don't actively disbelieve meridian and pressure point concepts per se, but I would expect them to be something that you have to actually physically disrupt to have much effect, if they're there. My art doesn't recognize them that i've seen; it follows a completely different worldview as regards vital force.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see them as legit as the way they are usually described. It's just my opinion.

If they do work, and I've seen some convincing anecdotal evidence from some select lines, I think it's do to physiological issues with neural disruption that centers around the precision of the strikes. Not some sort of mystical force.

Now, some things I've seen are painful and I've seen guys get knocked pretty silly, but the trade off in training time needed for such precision at speed is usually a deal breaker in my mind. I can train a hook punch to efficiency much quicker than a series of pressure point attacks. And it's end result is the same.

Not to mention that you have to look at the possibility of nerve strikes not affecting a certain percentage of the population. Even nerve strike guys will admit that. Whereas a hook punch (or any other, I'm using an example here) will work about the same on anyone.

Still, as I age I might give it a longer look. I don't know that I'll be able to train the way I do now at 50. We'll see. It might bear looking into then as a way to keep training.

the beast
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't believe that it works. Just think , if they were real every fighter out there would be training in them. Not to take away from the concept of it being possible, I guess if you believe it will work on you it probably will, whereas if you don't believe it probably won't .

Throwdown0850
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Judo, BJJ, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its bogus to me as well. as to pressure points, yeah some of them work I guess. but in any case, I wouldn't really try to apply them myself in a fight.

the beast
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressure points are kind of hit or miss, what might work on one individual may not work on another. Not a chance I'd be willing to take in a SD situation.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're real. But the odds of you finding someone that can legitimately do it are ever so ridiculously slim.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy into the Chi knockouts or "touchless" KOs.

Concussions happen when the brain bounces off the wall of the skull from sudden impacts. I don't see this happening without some form of contact. And as far as using other points on the body to cause knockouts, I just haven't seen enough of to buy into them.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Chi Knockouts Reply with quote

ryukasagi wrote:
Hi, i was just wondering what you guys think about Chi Knockouts that people like George Dillman claim to do?

Personally i think they're bogus but i'd like to hear your opinions on them and any evidence you have for them.

Thanks.

I don't believe in them. Once Mr. Dillman said he uses his chi abilities to move people out of line at Starbucks so that he could be in front of the line. Okie dokie!

Does chi exist? I believe that it does, but, that's it! How it exists and why it exists, I'm not convinced/sure about. We humans have an aura that surrounds us, but we're a form of energy, so how hard is it to display that aura on scientific monitors/insturments?

sifunovac
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say, I imagine it works on some people. The only reason I say this is because the mind make people react funny.

Think about it. Voodoo is useless against people who don't believe in it.
however those who believe strongly are affected by curses.

It is simply the mind that governs. So If you believe in the so called CHI KNOCKOUT, I imagine it may work on you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: