Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's excellent from a technique, athletic, etc. perspective. Easily as good as I've ever seen a kid that age do. Better than a lot of teens and adults in their prime too.

But can he use them when actually needed? It's like people hitting a heavy bag. Working a bag flawlessly doesn't mean you know how to fight; it means you can work a bag.

I mean no disrespect to the kid. I'm genuinely envious of his abilities. In the end, black belt or not depends on the standard the individual holds. If it's based on drills, kata, kihon, and the like, then yes, a JUNIOR black belt. If it has a self defense component to it, the jury's still out (not that I'm advocating making him defend himself in any manner).

I'm not a fan of junior black belts. They should use a different color IMO - either camouflage (representing all the colors of the kyu system) or gray (almost black). But I don't get to decide, which is nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: