Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bartrum
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Choi Kwang Do Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of this martial art. I am looking at starting training in this but I have read alot of negative comments on the net. Most of the bad press appears to centre around the polotics rather than the art itself.

I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the training, and whether the claims of the health benefits hold up. I'm particulary interested in whether this art is better for your joints than TKD.

Many thanks for any info in advance.

Bartrum

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I know much about it but Kwang Jo Choi (who founded the style) was one of the 12 original master's of TKD and he was ITF TKD based so the style definitely has some pedigree to it and a good lineage (if you care about such things). He also developed it because of a TKD training injury and wanted something that was better for him so maybe it is better for you health-wise.

TBH I wouldn't say that TKD is particularly bad for your joints. The majority of the original masters still train even after a lifetime of doing it. FGM Rhee for example still trains and I'd love to have half the mobility he does at his age. I mean, he's the same age as my grandparents yet not old and decrepit like they are

Bartrum
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your reply DW.

One of the reasons I asked about the health quotes from CKD was because I am a former ITF TKD student who has had problems with joints (I can't solely attribute this to TKD as I also played alot of football). Having heard of Kwang Jo Choi's claims of his own problems I was interested to see if CKD was any good.

Think I will give it a try and see what its like.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok cool. What sort of problems did you have? Just wondering because I'm also ITF, maybe its something I should be protecting against in the future...

From what's on YouTube, CKD does looks a lot softer but with stuff like this I'm not overly impressed: http://youtu.be/A4tgtDtQQh4 Especially with the pad work there seems to be nothing there, the pad's not even moving due to the strikes. Maybe its not that representative of the style, so yeah I would check it out. If you've had prior training you'll know what to look for

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the negatives, as well. I don't think they have any contact sparring, either, but am unsure. Let us know if you check it out.

moriniuk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Interested in all martial arts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't impress me at all.

I think he tried to fix a problem that didn't exist and in doing so came up with yet another 'style'.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried looking for the patterns to this and from YouTube it seems that the lower forms are virtually the same as the higher ones.

Does anyone have access to the patterns in written form or are they sworn to secrecy.

It seems like its outside parry, hook, hook, uppercut, jab/cross, duck/weave, hook, strange type of kick then Superman punch, turn 90 degrees then do it again.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen anything on the forms. I wasn't sure if he did something new, or used ITF patterns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: