Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Also, Brian, when you and I trained together, do you remember that I had you train with drill #4?? We used the pad from a Wavemaster to facilitate the drill. You caught onto it quite fast, which didn't surprise me because your "Aha" light came on quickly, and stayed on. I was impressed!!

Yes, Bob, I do recall. Some of our one-steps cover these kinds of movements, and we try to focus on this kind of movement in DT so that we can get to a more advantageous position to detain someone. [b]In grappling, we have to be very careful about when we make space, so that it doesn't get taken advantage of.[/b]

Very good discussion, and a nice article!

To the bold type above...

Valid point because that type of space management, is not properly cared for, will create unintended openings to be capitalized by a keen opponent. It's a different animal concerning Close Range Space Management is concerned.

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great and interesting article! Thanks for sharing it with me in another thread.

Alot of what you discuss here is right along the lines of what I have learned and teach with a couple of small exceptions. The "no going backwards" is an interesting area to really analyze and discuss.

Hopefully tomorrow I can jump in here more fully. There is a very interesting correlation between what you have written here and what I mentioned about the shiho (四方) and peng, lu, an and ji from the eight gates or bamen. Even in the bagua diagram it shows the five stepping methods (wu bu - 五步) that very closely ties into what you were discussing.

Very, very interesting! I am just not sure where to post! LOL! It may not totally tie to this article (and I don't want to hijack it) and it doesn't necessarily apply to the other thread either (don't want to hijack it either). Maybe a new post all together?

Decisions, decisions! LOL! More to follow tomorrow for sure!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will be ok posting about it here. You won't be hijacking anything; threads have an ebb and flow to them, and that's what makes them great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: