Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Collecting fees Reply with quote

Thinking about some of the behind the scenes stuff for running a school; how do you organise getting payment from your students? Do you hire an outside company to collect fees and chase payments? Do you collect monies yourself? Do you have students pay per lesson, per month or block book sessions.

On the flip side, if you employ instructors, how do you manage their wages? Do you contract an outside company for this also?

bassaiguy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky in that people can sign up for my classes through the local Rec program and I get paid quarterly - no book-keeping on my end. For those who want to pay as drop-ins I have a box at the back of the class. For private lessons it's pay as you go. I've lost a few bucks here and there, but I've also been "paid" in barter (traded kids lessons for some backhoe work, e.g.) and once in moose meat from a guy who was down on hs luck, but wouldn't take "charity." Then again, as my wife says, I'm good at a lot of things, but making money isn't one of them.

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sensei and his girlfriend, who co-own the dojo, collect payments themselves, by check, money order, cash, or card. Dues are paid at the beginning of each month, and there are different rates depending on how many classes you plan to attend each week. Instructors fill out timesheets and turn them in to be paid on the 15th of each month. It's a pretty antiquated process, from the perspective of an IT guy (me), but it does work.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
My Sensei and his girlfriend, who co-own the dojo, collect payments themselves, by check, money order, cash, or card. Dues are paid at the beginning of each month, and there are different rates depending on how many classes you plan to attend each week. Instructors fill out timesheets and turn them in to be paid on the 15th of each month. It's a pretty antiquated process, from the perspective of an IT guy (me), but it does work.

Antiquated?

We pay either cash or check. We have a card that gets stamped and initialed every month when we pay. My CI also writes who, when, and how much was paid into a ledger book.

I'd like to pay with a card because I rarely carry more than a few singles, and the monthly amount for my daughter and I isn't a multiple of $20. ATMs only dispense $20s, so I usually have him keep the $10 change and credit my account. I haven't had checks in about 5 years either. I keep telling myself I should order some, but the only thing I'd use them for is the dojo.

I don't blame him for not accepting credit cards. He'd have to pay an annual or monthly fee, a transaction fee, and a percentage. For a dojo with 40 or so students, it's not worth his time. Keep in mind that all 40 students aren't paying individually; there's many families that pay together.

I guess there's some way to set up an auto-pay through my bank that'll mail him a check. I'm too untrustworthy of my bank. They've messed up plenty of things in the past and somehow charge me for it until I go in and argue with them.

A different local dojo does PayPal online. I'd rather something like that over the current method.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primarily my dojo operates through a direct debit system that is organised by my sensei to collect automatically the required amount that the particular student owes.

Many students who pay for a block of lessons (40 Lessons) or pay in full their amount for x time will then pay when payments are due.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Collecting fees Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Thinking about some of the behind the scenes stuff for running a school; how do you organise getting payment from your students?

All dues are due on the 1st of each month!! Have to pay to play!! Don't pay, you don't get to play!!

DWx wrote:
Do you hire an outside company to collect fees and chase payments?

No!!

DWx wrote:
Do you collect monies yourself?

Yes and no!! I've employees to collect dues, but if those employees aren't there, than I will collect dues myself.

DWx wrote:
Do you have students pay per lesson, per month or block book sessions.

No, to the per lesson!! Yes, to the per month/block sessions!!

DWx wrote:
On the flip side, if you employ instructors, how do you manage their wages?

They clock in and out on a time clock!! Their paid the 1st and the 15th of each month.

DWx wrote:
Do you contract an outside company for this also?

No!! Business 101 teaches one vital thing when it comes to employees...Don't mess with an employees money. Trust must be earned, and I've, as of yet, found an outside company that I can trust.

I won't speak towards the Hombu in this regard because the Hombu has a department that manages/oversees all of the Hombu's accounts payable and accounts receivable. What I do know is that the Hombu accepts all types of payments and that all dues are due at the 1st-3rd of each month and that they've different receivable accounts structures for students to choose and that all paid instructors are paid on the 1st/15th of each month.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoiding unnecessary costs is one of the most important things a new dojo would have to do. Third party management of the student fees is one of those things. The more an instructor has others handle administrative duties, the less resources are leftover for essential things such as dojo rent, utilities or basic training tools and equipment; never-mind any profit.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty simple for me, my students turn up, pay for that class, and train in it. That is the way I prefer it, everyone else seems happy with it as well.

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
Pretty simple for me, my students turn up, pay for that class, and train in it. That is the way I prefer it, everyone else seems happy with it as well.

Curiosity question - how do you collect payment? By that I mean everyone hands you, say, a $10 bill every time they walk in, or can they pay in advance? My former Sensei taught a cardio kickboxing class that was strictly pay as you go. He issued cards that were bought for a certain amount. Every class, he hole punched everyone's card. Once there were no classes left on the card, they bought a new card. A dojo I was looking into before I joined my current one did the same thing as a pay as you go option (you could also pay a monthly membership instead).

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:

Do you accept Card or Pre-Payment of x Lessons? Say classes are $10 per pop; students pay $100 so they are covered for 10 sessions.

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Avoiding unnecessary costs is one of the most important things a new dojo would have to do. Third party management of the student fees is one of those things. The more an instructor has others handle administrative duties, the less resources are leftover for essential things such as dojo rent, utilities or basic training tools and equipment; never-mind any profit.

I agree, as third parties will charge you just to manage those systems will in turn costs you more money.

I'd rather use that money i could use on that for the more important things like what you said. Also I'd reinvest that money into helping our students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: