Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bluedot
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin Kaikan, Hapkido

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Combat Hapkido and Krav Maga Reply with quote

OSU

The thing that has recently come to my attention while surfing through the forum is that there exists a style known as Combat Hapkido. Curious, I researched a bit on the web and am left with several questions:

1. Is combat hapkido similar to krav maga?
2. What are the differences between the styles, if any?
3. There's a style called commando krav maga: where does it stand compared to both the previously stated styles?

I know all three styles can be deadly as hell if used by some skilled martial artist and no style is better or more realistic than the other. I just want to know the subtle differences and similarities between them.

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't practice either of the styles, so I can't say first hand besides the fact of having sparred a Krav Maga guy, however, I did find this on the net -

http://www.beckmartialarts.com/chkdfaq.html wrote:
Q. What's the difference between Hapkido and Krav Maga?

A. In the late sixties the Korea Hapkido Association President was Woo Joong KIM, also president of the Dae Woo Company which had many interests in the Middle East. Many HKD instructors went there and taught police forces and military officers. The founder of Krav Maga was a very skilled Israeli boxer and wrestler that participated in some of this training and boiled his knowledge down into a very simple quick to learn practical system to teach the Israeli armed forces. The style looks like some basics from a number of martial arts including HKD. It's a good fighting system; I wouldn't call it a martial *art*. It's immediate destruction no nonsense stuff, great for a sentry in the military; not so good for graduated levels of response necessary for policemen or for the general person in today's society.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nervous, when a style calls itself "Combat" or "Real" it sets the sirens off. It may be a really good style but you wouldn't get "Combat" Kyokushin or "Real" Muay Thai etc.

If you wanted anything to complement your Kyokushin, try Judo, Brazilian JiuJitsu or K I'm nervous, when a style calls itself "Combat" or "Real" it sets the sirens off. It may be a really good style but you wouldn't get "Combat" Kyokushin or "Real" Muay Thai etc

If you wanted anything to complement your Kyokushin, try Judo, Brazilian JiuJitsu or

Pehlwani (Urdu: ﯽﻧاﻮﻠہﭘ ,Punjabi: , Hindi: पहलवानी, Bengali: পাহলাভািন) or kushti (Urdu: ﯽﺘﺸﮐ ,Punjabi: , Hindi: कुती ,Bengali: কুি) is a form of wrestling from South Asia.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM John Pellegrini is the founder of the Combat Hapkido system. I hold rank in the style, and I've found it is very effective for either civilian self-defense goals or LEO style restraint needs.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the "Combat" label. He needed a name, and he wasn't along the lines of a more traditional Hapkido style, so he calls it Combat Hapkido. He made some changes, esecially along the lines of the kicking, where he only does low line kicking, instead of some of the higher, more TKDesque kicking seen in more traditional, Korean Hapkido styles.

He also is heavy on the idea of using distraction techniques in order to facilitate the Hapkido; every technique application begins with a distraction technique of some kind; punch, palm strike, low kick, etc, to loosen the attackers grip or to distract them, then allowing the opportunity to seize a limb to take control, or counter grab and defend with a lock or takedown. There is also a focus on a finishing technique at the end of the defense. It may be a strike, or a break if necessary, etc.

Another difference is that Pellegrini has worked with other stylists to incorporate other concepts into his system for a broader range of defense options. He has a trapping system that I have enjoyed working with, but its not trapping to the extent seen in arts like Wing Chun where trapping is like a whole world of techniques. There's enough to get by and get into a different defense; the focus isn't on trapping for the sake of trapping.

Those are just a few things I can elaborate on Combat Hapkido. I don't have any experience with Krav Maga, so I leave that to someone else.

FighterForLife
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Combat Hapkido and Krav Maga Reply with quote

Bluedot wrote:
OSU

The thing that has recently come to my attention while surfing through the forum is that there exists a style known as Combat Hapkido. Curious, I researched a bit on the web and am left with several questions:

1. Is combat hapkido similar to krav maga?
2. What are the differences between the styles, if any?
3. There's a style called commando krav maga: where does it stand compared to both the previously stated styles?

I know all three styles can be deadly as hell if used by some skilled martial artist and no style is better or more realistic than the other. I just want to know the subtle differences and similarities between them.

I used to take Combat Hapkido.

1. Like all fighting arts they are similar to one another, yet different. Both contain strikes, both contain locks. Both are (debatably) "reality based".
2. Far fewer groin kicks in CH and no hand grenade disarming techniques.
3. Commando KM is a "unique" brand created to avoid having to pay royalties to KM central. From what I was able to learn while I was looking for a KM school way back in the day, there is very little measurable difference to common KM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: