Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conditioning is an important aspect of training, but like has been mentioned, it should be a boon to your training, not hinder it. In just about any aspect of physical training, recovery is just as important. Adaptive training happens in a very simple cycle: apply a stressor to the body, the body recovers and adapts to the stressor, and then you apply the next stressor, which is just a bit more than previously.

This stress-recovery-adaptation cycle is important, and if you stress to the point that recovery cannot occur before the next session, then you don't progress efficiently, and may start de-training as a result. Conditioning is important, but it has to be done the right way.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have health issues with my heart, my conditioning is different, with the respect that I cannot over strain my heart but I do need to work it.

Going beyond a person's normal pain threshold is progressive; for me I don't go beyond that point.

My conditioning is maintenance based and not intended for endurance purposes.

I just need to keep my heart beating with regular exercise and not to the point of exhaustion.

Stair sprinting is something I do on a regular basis but never jogging or running; as I'm trying to get the "After burn effect" to kick in.

Cardiovascular workouts are important for conditioning, but for my condition extreme isn't necessary.

As bushido_man96 rightly pointed out about stress-recovery is important. I will alternate my exercises depending how much recovery time is needed, as I workout most days, my exercises are constantly changing on a daily basis (This is the Chi Kung way)

So by the weekend, most of my muscles are looking forward to rest as I might have two or occasionally (once a month) three workouts in a single day only during the week; on weekends I will do alot of walking.

My conditioning mostly takes place outside in a large park that has fountains and trees; with adult exercise equipment, free to use, also with a padded running track.

The fountains (many of them) shoot up water very high. The fountains are surrounded by a wooden deck and many people take the opportunity to practice Yoga or just to do some sunbathing.

What I trying to convey, is that conditioning can be pleasant and needn't be just grunting and sweating; with a no pain no gain mentality.

As my mode of exercising is health maintaining (with or without gradual slight improvements) conditioning with out competitive or rivalry intent is something I wish I had learned a very long time ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: