Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bratt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Confused Sempai... Reply with quote

Im a new Sempai who was just recently giving the pleasure to teach first year white belts in September. I was wondering if some of you could give me some tips, games or exercises that could make class a little more fun, yet still educational for the youngsters. ~ Thank you in advance~

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some woggles (those large foam stick things you find in swimming pools) or blockers. Attack the kids with them and tell them to block or dodge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngsters? how young!? 4 year olds??? I think teaching the really young ones is the most challenging for me...I have to be their baby-sitter, parent, and martial arts instructor at the same time!

Anyway, yes classes should be fun for the young ones...You should be strict and assertive to maintain control over the class, but never scare them away..Make sure you smile!.(If they misbehave, give them warnings and then take away their belt..This teaches them that their actions have consequences.) Also make sure you don't teach them too many techniques in one class, or kids will get bored and lose focus...Remember to keep it simple!

For exercises, I find that kids love competitions that involve speed, height, or distance...For speed exercises, I hold relays...They run to the other side of the dojo and do 10 pushups, and then run back and tag their partner...(then they run down to do situps, jumping jacks, punches, kicks, etc)

For exercises that involve height, make them do the jumping front kick and see who can go the highest! For exercises that involve distance, make them do the flying sidekick..anyway, i hope this helped!!

Anybody else have more suggestions?

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Here's a link for you... Reply with quote

http://www.4kicks.com/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh one more thing! Make sure you try to maintain equal level eye-contact, when you talk to a kid...

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be a terrifying experience to face 19 white belts some eager some not so. Maintaining control is important but don't scare them too much or some of them tend to leak. (true we call it trial by urine) They do love to punch targets. And remember those who are really trying get extremely frustrated when they don't do well.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack ... you beat me to that one (I've posted a few there!)

Keep it simple & fun! Simple game of 'dodge ball' helps them move quickly, helps coordination and timing.

also .... check out this link with tips for teaching "little dragons"...
http://home.thezone.net/~sdowney/teachinglittledragons.htm

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple fun but dont forget that it is martial arts and there should be some sense of discipline and learning. Often younger kids need to be reminded that you are not just baby sitting them.

Bratt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ill really keep in mind everything you've all told me. It makes alot of sense, keep it short and sweet. Btw, im teaching two seperate classes, one white belt class (ages 6-10 if Im not mistaken) and a small class of Little Dragons, although I won't be alone (another newly "hired" Sempai will be helping me) this will still be a challenge lol Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, tips and sites, they've all really helped

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be yourself. Don't try and do everything the same way you Sensei does. Teach what you know. Stick to the really simple stuff don't try and show off. Always build up your kids never tear them down.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: