Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chiliphil1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: costochondritis anyone? Reply with quote

I first started having this pain about 6 years ago. It's a sometimes dull sometimes stabbing pain in my chest. It's right at the joint where the ribs meet the sternum. Sometimes it feels like a pressure and other times it feels like my chest is being ripped apart!

I went to the doctor when this first started and was checked for heart disease, etc. They said everything was perfect but most likely my office job sitting in front of a computer all day was causing the problem. Fast forward to now and I have been out of work for over 2 years now due to an on the job injury. I've trained off and on as I was able over this time enduring 3 surgeries now and months of therapy.

My hip which was the on the job injury still gives me lots of problems but I have decided to just push it as far as I can. I've started teaching my kids here at home a couple of nights a week and tonight what one of those nights. I am now dealing with the costo again. I have a bad stabbing pressure going on in the chest and it is miserable! I had an EKG and bloodwork done a few months back when I had bronchitis and everything came back fine. I'm positive it's not a heart or lung issue.

I was wondering if anyone else has this or has dealt with it in the past. If so what did you do? Were there any remedies other than eating a lot of pain pills? I'd love to find some stretch or exercise that would give me some relief. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

8th Kyu
Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just diagnosed with costochondritis yesterday and I saw your post so I thought I'd respond even though I don't really have any advice for you. I'd never even heard of this before yesterday.

I just started having mild pain two or three weeks ago. At first I thought it was normal female chest pains and didn't think anything of it. Then over the weekend I got a bad cold and was coughing a lot, which brought the pain from mild to pretty severe and prompted me to go to the doctor.

The doctor actually said I probably hurt my chest at karate-- probably got hit in the sternum too hard at some point causing the cartilage to become inflamed.

No karate for at least a week and then I have to be careful for a few months-- no getting hit in the chest, no pushups, stopping if anything starts hurting, etc. One nice thing is I'm not allowed to shovel snow for a few months which will probably bring us to the end of the winter, so that's a plus, I guess. I'm also icing it and taking some prescription strength ibuprofen, but mostly it's just rest and letting it heal.

The doctor said it should heal on its own in a few months, but I've come across a lot of people like yourself for whom it's become a chronic condition. I'm really hoping mine heals, so I plan on taking it really easy for awhile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: