Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Cross Training Karate-Taekwondo-Tai Chi-Aikido-Wing Chun-JKD Reply with quote

Cross training with many styles can get a martial artist in trouble. Martial art teachers don't like what they don't teach in their class. Students with high ranking belt in one style don't do so well against MMA white belts in their class. Rules of conduct differ also such as take downs allowed in one style and not another. What seems to be a technique such as a spinning backfist in one style is considered flailing in another. What is your opinion?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross-training is very beneficial, but there is a fine line between cross-training and dojo-hopping. You really have to have some type of foundation before you cross-train, or you'll just end up with a confusing mess of material that you don't know how to utilize properly.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
Cross-training is very beneficial, but there is a fine line between cross-training and dojo-hopping. You really have to have some type of foundation before you cross-train, or you'll just end up with a confusing mess of material that you don't know how to utilize properly.

Solid post!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was to see and test the strengths and weaknesses of styles. I walked away all the richer for it. It cost me a broken finger using a JKD block against a round house kick. Black belts that were loosing against me complained about it; while I was wearing a white belt in there style...

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have no problem with people cross-training, as long as they do what I say when they are on my dojo floor. I do not mind them bringing in skills they have learnt elsewhere during free-sparring, as I am very liberal with the rules, but both sides have to consent to how liberal it is going to be. If you both agree to relatively hard contact, and grappling, then that is fine; I have only had cause to discipline people who have brought in skills from elsewhere in situations where in it was "cheating", they did not have the consent of their partner to bring that skill set into sparring.

During what I call free practice, the time after formal lessons have finished, but no one has come to kick us off the premises, I do let people practice skills I have not necessarily taught them. I feel cross-training, or allowing people to bring their past training forward, is important for them to develop their karate in a manner which has it's own flavour and diversity. This usually takes the form of me dividing people into groups of people who have similar martial arts back-grounds, to share and work on techniques together; my only real rule is no forms because if they want to do forms they should either do Shorin-Ryu Kata or practice the other forms in their own time. I will then go around and tweak, or demonstrate over-laps with what we do in Shorin-Ryu, so they can integrate their prior experiences and knowledge.

Other then that, during kata practice, I do usually allow a so called "choice Kata" segment, where there is unguided practice of a kata the student wants to work on and I can go around and give guidance. During said segment, I do mean "choice", so if they have practiced a style with forms before they can do any form they know aside from Shorin-Ryu forms I have taught them. Though, this is only at first; as they diversify and learn more kata off me, I generally try to steer them to practicing Shorin-Ryu kata and trying to find parallels with the forms they used to do, in the kata I teach. In that way I can demonstrate that they are not abandoning any of their prior knowledge, they are just practicing it through a new vehicle. and I hope a better vehicle for them. I am thankful to say this approach has a 100% success rate with the people who have come to trust my teaching, with those who were simply after new techniques, forms, and belts not so much as they never learnt to really trust me.

Cannot recall where I read of heard this; "He who can follow three masters will perfect his art. But if only one of them is neglected, he will not last long. It means that you have to learn from everyone that surpasses us and to not neglect the deepest possible studying of the teachings of your own master."

In that sense, cross training can be invaluable and indeed a path for growth; but chasing techniques for techniques' sake, or recognition from multiple schools, while not truly embracing the teachings of the teachers you follow or abandoning your roots haphazardly will just lead to a mess as Wastelander stated.

My only hard rule above from what is mentioned above, is that if you are actively training at another place; practice 100% wholeheartedly what you are doing there, and give the same respect to my dojo floor. So when you come to train with me; you are doing Shorin-Ryu 100%.

A Rarely Used Blog:
An Uncertain Path

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really no shortage of people who want to collect belts from different schools/styles. There's also no shortage of teachers who claim to hold black belts in several different arts.

The people with black belts in several styles tells me jack of all trades, master of none. Michael Jai White holds black belts in 7 or 8 different systems. That tells me he showed proficiency in the basics of each style, and left before he really got into what makes the style what it is. Associate's degrees in 7 different majors or submajors doesn't equal a doctorate. Not even close.

Cross training is a very good thing. The more you understand other ways of doing things, the more you'll understand your art. It's not necessary to hold and/or rank in other arts, or even be a formal student; working out with people informally in other arts can sometimes be more beneficial.

Keep in mind that a lot of the big names in karate have experience in other arts. It's very common to see a founder of a karate system who held dan ranking in judo, or have some iado training.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was abandoned from my original style. We the students helped the sensei to build a new school and then he sold it for profit. Not opening another or seeing the missus of students. So I turned to JKD. As it is a contradiction for a JKD martial art school there wasn't much choice way back when, (40 years ago) other than to go it alone and join up and practice with other fragmented MA individuals. Joining other disciplines for a year or two and taking seminars gave me insights to how other martial artists operated. It worked both ways at times for me to learn from them and them from me. When for instance a student found it impossible to defeat me the teacher would tell them my weakness and they would win. I would find there weaknesses also which was difficult for some to accept. Belt ranking has no meaning for me anymore. Great for those that it does. As my first teacher was a Black Belt and had no guilt or inhibitions on selling out his student, so my respect for those that wear a black is not 100% based on trust. My initial interest in martial arts was to defend myself from bullies as I was an easy target growing up. As my interest in the MA is almost 50 years worth my perspectives have changed considerably over the decades; for better and for worse. I practice Chi Kung about 30 hrs per week every week of the year. Enjoying all the health benefits from being a multifaceted martial artist.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Training Karate-Taekwondo-Tai Chi-Aikido-Wing Chun Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Cross training with many styles can get a martial artist in trouble. Martial art teachers don't like what they don't teach in their class. Students with high ranking belt in one style don't do so well against MMA white belts in their class. Rules of conduct differ also such as take downs allowed in one style and not another. What seems to be a technique such as a spinning backfist in one style is considered flailing in another. What is your opinion?

I think you find out when you cross train that not all styles are created equal, but there is no shortage of those that willingly insist on ignorance once they find this out...

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some call it cross training I simply call it getting more experienced. If I live my entire life in one country and never stepped outside to explore other civilizations first hand I will never know or appreciate the differences those other country's my offer. Same holds true for different styles of martial arts. Single style martial artists can be as patriotic as they like. Personally I like to travel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: