Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Enter the Spaz
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Shorin Ryu, Arnis and now Wing Chun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Cross Training Wing Chun & Judo Reply with quote

Hello all,

Not sure if this has been brought up before, I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Anyhow, I've been training in Wing Chun for 3 months now and I'm liking it a lot. I'm wondering if cross training with Judo would be a benefit or a detriment to both. I'm mainly concerned with the principles of one canceling out a principle of another, e.g. retarding advancement by creating conflict(s).

I've been in striking arts for many years and looking to add some grappling to my game. I have very little experience in WC and none in Judo. My school offers both styles but no one seems to be training both.

I've asked my Sifu and he says training in both would be fine, not that I don't trust him, I just like to hear second, third, fourth... opinions.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go for it. Adding the grappling will help you become a little more rounded, and I really don't think it will be a detriment to either style that you practice. Since you have prior striking experience to your 3 months in WC, then I would think you should be ok.

Enter the Spaz
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bushido man,

Yeah, I was going to do it anyway ... I just wanted to know what others may think. WC has this rear leg weight distribution that I'm finding a bit of a challenge to get the hang of, I was wondering if practicing Judo (or any other style) might set me back on my rooting and stance practice in WC.

I've always wanted to practice a grappling art. Something occurred to me as I was walking across the icy parking lot at work today. It would be awfully hard to throw a punch, much less kick. Any altercation would almost have to be fought on the ground in such an environment. I guess it's time to get schooled.

Thank you for your reply.

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I know little about Wing Chun but I say go for it.
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enter the Spaz wrote:
Yeah, I was going to do it anyway ... I just wanted to know what others may think. WC has this rear leg weight distribution that I'm finding a bit of a challenge to get the hang of, I was wondering if practicing Judo (or any other style) might set me back on my rooting and stance practice in WC.

I don't think the judo training will hurt your training on the back foot rooted thing. In judo, you will be concentrating more on the throwing, locking, and grappling as opposed to worry about a stance. In your WC classes, you will worry about the stance.

Enter the Spaz wrote:
I've always wanted to practice a grappling art. Something occurred to me as I was walking across the icy parking lot at work today. It would be awfully hard to throw a punch, much less kick. Any altercation would almost have to be fought on the ground in such an environment. I guess it's time to get schooled.

This is a good point. In some situations, just going to the ground before you get taken or thown down is better.

mantis.style
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say that Wing Chun has a rear leg bias? What school are you taling about as my Wing Chun has alwys been 50/50; otherwise the rotating around motherline doesn't work. Also, the stance in wing chun shouldnt be a forced thing that needs to be consciously thought about when you fight. When done properly, it is surprisingly similar to normal posture. In fact, I would say that 70% of the wing chun body structure can be done all of the time without affecting how you appear to the rest of the world. I mean, I can stand at a bus stop in a forward/side stance and no one would know. The other 30% only comes into play when you are moving/stepping/turning.

Enter the Spaz
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mantis.style wrote:
Did you say that Wing Chun has a rear leg bias? What school are you taling about as my Wing Chun has alwys been 50/50; otherwise the rotating around motherline doesn't work. Also, the stance in wing chun shouldnt be a forced thing that needs to be consciously thought about when you fight. When done properly, it is surprisingly similar to normal posture. In fact, I would say that 70% of the wing chun body structure can be done all of the time without affecting how you appear to the rest of the world. I mean, I can stand at a bus stop in a forward/side stance and no one would know. The other 30% only comes into play when you are moving/stepping/turning.

Yes, I swear I'm not making this up.

The weight distribution is more like 30-70, it is oh so evident in the way we do Chum Kiu, the part towards the beginning where you twist 3 times with your arms across you. In fact, I just started CK, and that is as far as I've gotten.

The problem I have is when advancing I tend to put all my weight on the front leg especially when throwing a lead punch or otherwise I end up in a cat stance to over compensate which isn't right either. The idea for this weight distro (as explained to me) is for rapid lead leg kicks and to avoid being swept so easily.

My Sifu is Sam Chan under the Yip Man lineage, he (my Sifu) trained under Ip Ching.

ninjer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enter the Spaz wrote:
mantis.style wrote:

Yes, I swear I'm not making this up.

The weight distribution is more like 30-70, it is oh so evident in the way we do Chum Kiu, the part towards the beginning where you twist 3 times with your arms across you. In fact, I just started CK, and that is as far as I've gotten.

The problem I have is when advancing I tend to put all my weight on the front leg especially when throwing a lead punch or otherwise I end up in a cat stance to over compensate which isn't right either. The idea for this weight distro (as explained to me) is for rapid lead leg kicks and to avoid being swept so easily.

My Sifu is Sam Chan under the Yip Man lineage, he (my Sifu) trained under Ip Ching.

I would definately train judo- then you can go back and throw your wing chun teacher

Anyways, the idea of a stance is that it has to be able to change- static stances arent good, particularly when you're doing takedowns. Judo will help you learn how to move around while someone has a hold of you (or you of them)

repz
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorinji Kempo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trained in wing chun, i always said it would fit perfectly with chin-na or aki jujitsu. Close the gap, in close, strike an grab an take down. I think judo would make a good mix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: