Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Customer Service!! Reply with quote

Customer service should be of paramount importance to any MA school, imho. Without it, students, both current as well as prospective, parents/guardians, and anyone else who might darken ones door, its solid future is at stake.

What I've noticed, and this situation plagues any business, and not just those businesses that aren't MA related, is that the word, "Service" is being, if it's not already the norm nowadays, forgotten.

Businesses act that they need the customers, but they don't want to be saddled with providing any notions of any quality "Service". It's as though the business is being troubled to have to provide any "Service" for the customer for any reason(s).

I've noticed it at a well known business, that whenever I ask for assistance in locating an item, I'm told where I might find it but I'm never taken to that location by a member of staff, even if that staff is part of the management team. No, I have to search for the location on my own with their treasure map directions, and this, as a customer, is quite frustrating, to say the least.

To go to that same well known business to pay for my purchases, the cashier never greets me with a "Hello" or a smile. The cashiers at this well known business make me feel unappreciated and unwanted and uncomfortable to be there. Monotone expressions as well as vocalization speak so loud! No, "Thank you; come again"...nothing!!

Good Customer Service costs the business NOTHING!! Bad Customer Service costs the business A LOT; can close a business faster than one can imagine. The word "Genuine" has to be the staple of any Customer Service, and it'll set that business separate from its competitors. However, there's that fine line, as it's there for anything business related, "Genuine" bad Customer Service will drive customers away, whereas, "Genuine" good Customer Service will retain as well as attract both current and future customers.

Every business needs customers! Without customers, how can overhead be paid for and how can profits be attained?!

I'm a firm believer that a dojo is a business!! It's a business if the dojo/dojang/etc has overhead!! Student CHOOSES the MA school, and the school of MA needs to demonstrate their appreciation, and it must be "Genuine". Otherwise, the student ratio to instructor will turn into a dismal negative. A school without students is a business that's, well, taking a very long and lonely walk, and that walk usually leads to the school being closed.

Customer Service...good vs bad; the good should triumphant over bad hands down today and everyday and every time and without reservation. Who wants to go to the MA school if they're not valued? Who wants to go to the MA school if they're not shown good and genuine appreciation? Who wants to go to the MA school if they're treated like a dollar sign?

Customer Service should matter! If it doesn't matter, than neither do I, to that business!!

I learned these attributes in College, and they've stuck with me all of these years...the list isn't inclusive, but the list covers what I consider the top attributes needed to succeed...however, to this day, I've kept my college notes because they've been the backbone of my own Customer Service...

*Patience
*Attentiveness
*Clear Communication Skills
*Knowledge of the Product
*Ability to use "Positive Language"
*Acting skills
*Time Management Skills
*Ability to "Read" Customers
*A Calming Presence
*Goal Orientated Focus
*Ability to Handle Surprises
*Persuasion Skills
*Tenacity
*Closing Ability
*Willingness to Learn
*Listening Skills

None of these Customer Service attributes are about sales and how to get the sale, even though, they can provide that as well. No, these attributes are all pertaining to Customer Service by remembering that "Service" is very important. Customer Service shouldn't have to sound like a bad word to the proprietor of the business. But, however, Customer Service should leave a great taste in the mouth of both the proprietor as well as the Customer, and, imho, especially to the customer!!

Does your school of MA have good Customer Service?
Does your governing body have good Customer Service?
What type of Customer Service do you require of either of them?

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drink coffee! I drink frappe silly muff muff drinks lol. I quite smokin years ago and started.

There's a place that I found after I used to go to the biggest name on the business, what keeps me going there is the customer service. They are just very friendly and always ask about my day. The fact is, that nothing is more important than customer service. This place now has my money, all because of the service, NOT because their drinks a better or their prices are lower.

I think the points you made were very good ones, I mean every one. Me personally, I am always open and had an incredible mentor in the business. We had a falling out, and disagree with whom blame is places, but I will never deny the unbelievable professionalism that was displayed on the mats, and I am very thankful. I use my old instructors business/conduct as a road map, sometimes I deviate from the road map, sometimes it works out and I make my program even better, sometimes it doesn't and I say "oh, that's why he didn't do that" haha.

Ultimately sensei8 I think that some of us are born/have learned to have more ability to convey respect to others. This ability is a huge factor in customer service, and something like a great mentor will only help you, and never hurt you. People want to be respected, and heard. That is half the battle IMHO.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good (short) book on this topic is Lessons From the Mouse. It frames it around customer service skills taught at Disney-- a company which is known for some of the best, if not the best, customer service in the world. If you have time, I highly recommend it.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
Ultimately sensei8 I think that some of us are born/have learned to have more ability to convey respect to others. This ability is a huge factor in customer service, and something like a great mentor will only help you, and never hurt you. People want to be respected, and heard. That is half the battle IMHO.

I would venture to say that us in the MA world have a leg up over the competition. A good instructor will teach things like respecting others and humbling yourself, which is a big thing in customer service. We're given the tools for that through our training, and it shows in our everyday lives.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:

I would venture to say that us in the MA world have a leg up over the competition. A good instructor will teach things like respecting others and humbling yourself, which is a big thing in customer service. We're given the tools for that through our training, and it shows in our everyday lives.

Yeah I would agree with that statement. Obviously it is something as you said, that is Bread into us. Very good point.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great list, Bob. And you are absolutely right in that bad customer service can cost a business quite a lot more than it costs itself.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great posts, all...thank you!! I'll have an amendment to add soon, kind of like an exclamation point to my OP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: