Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Diet Reply with quote

Our bodies need fuel and they need new raw materials to build muscle. As much as we'd probably all like, a burger and fries isn't that best fuel for an elite fighting machine. So what's everyone's diet like? Do you actively plan your intake? Watch what you eat? Or just eat anything?

Anybody take supplements?

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My diet currently is as follows:

Morning

2 x Wholegrain Toast
1/2 Tablespoon x Vegemite
1 x Apple
200 ml x Fresh Orange Juice (Fresh Pressed)
200 ml x Water

OR

2 x 10g Sausages
2 x Fried Eggs
30g x Bacon
30g x Mushrooms
2 x Wholegrain Toast

200ml x Fresh Orange Juice
200ml x Water

Lunch

Salad (Total = 2 Portions: Lunch + Dinner)
- 50g x Danish Fetta
- 100g x Spinach
- 50g x Tomato
- 50g x Carrot
- 60g x Roast Chicken OR Tuna

300ml x Water

Dinner

Salad (as above)
30g x Bacon Pieces
2 x Hard Boiled Egg

300ml Water
300ml Coke (Twice per week ONLY)

Snacks
1 Small Can x Tuna (Twice MAX Daily)
2 x Apples (Twice MAX Daily)
2 x Oranges (Twice MAX Daily)
2 x Bananas (Twice MAX Daily)

Dependent on my Training Phase i'll change what i have to eat above, but this is my diet for this training phase.

I have Vitamin D Deficiency so I take supplements for that to help boost my levels, but since it is Fat Soluble I need to be careful of what I eat.

Also I take Protein Supplements also @ 1g per Kilo of body weight but only at Post-Workout

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try my best to eat low sugar and low carb.

I lost over 100 pounds on low carb/primal a few years ago, but I've been slipping and have gained a chunk of it back.

For the most part I do a lot of meat, cheese, and coffee (no sugar, extra cream) with some vegetables (not as much as I should be getting).

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diets do not have to be complicated or detailed with a precise calorie count. Simple is always best and it is the easiest to maintain consistently without having to think too much or plan meals. Here are a few very simple principles to follow that work surprisingly well:

1. Avoid eating seconds
2. Eat as slowly as manageable
3 Avoid or eliminate sugary food,sweets or deserts.
4. Never eat less than four hours before going to sleep
5. Drink lots of water, even when not feeling thirsty
6. Train or have some sort of physical activity everyday for at least 30minutes
7. Never eat so much that you feel heavy or too full.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made great progress over the last few months by counting calories, not obsessively, but you could ask my calorie count any time and I can give you an approximate number for the day. I do about half of the volume that I eat in green veggies, make sure to have some form of protein, and the rest of my calories come from whatever I want, whether that be pasta, wine or ice cream. Until recently, I just ate what and when I wanted, and that wasn't working out very well.

Kyonovice
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My diet went totally out of control a few months ago, I put on quite a bit of weight and that led to a minor bought of depression, not happy with my body shape, uniform at work feeling tight etc.

My wife also put on weight and decided to diet, we were having a take away once a week, consuming too much alcohol and generally eating the wrong things.

Now, my wife has started "Slimming World", whilst I don't count my intake etc, I do maintain the basic fundamentals (third of a plate being protein rich, third being veg, third being potato, rice or similar). We've cut out takeaways at home (I still have "dirty refs" at work once a month when my team are on weekend late shifts, but then I tend to stick to chicken shish kebab with all the salad).

Since doing that, my weight has decreased by about 4kg in a month, waist line is much better and I generally feel much much healthier. When I train I try to consume more protein and slow released carbs during the day time before training but that's it.

I don't have a specific diet as such, just waatch what I do eat and when.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't count calories but I do eat my five a day plus consume HTML 1L (fat free) milk a day. Use only olive oil for cooking with.

Try to burn up as many calories as I consume.

Perhaps what I do differently is:
I have a blood and urine test done every four months, this way I can adjust my diet to improve the next test results.

Take pills to control my cholesterol and one aspirin a day to keep my blood more on the thinner side.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the Adkins diet about 10 years ago, worked really well, but isn't very convienient.
Nowadays I : try to eat heaps of salads (Dry, or maybe with olive oil), no cheese (it's generally the highest fat content food out there), No other dairy, no sugar.....

Basically it's as simple as calories in (eating) and calories out (burning them by exercise and daily life).

Cut out the dairy and see what happens..........

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My diet is pretty simple:

40% protein
30% carbs
30% fats

How I get that is different every day, my meats consist mainly of chicken and fish with the occasional steak thrown in, brown rice/pasta or sweet potato for carbs and fats from nuts, avocado, eggs and the occasional bit of cheese. I don't believe in "fad diets" like the Atkins or South beach and the like, and don't get me started on juice plus!
Fuel your body correctly and exercise regularly and maintaining a healthy weight isn't difficult. Because I eat well if I want a bar of chocolate or a cake one day, I have it, I'll also have a burger or a pizza once a week, denying yourself such things only makes the risk of slipping higher.

I recently read of a study where two groups of non-diabetic obese people were each given a different diet to try, one group were put on a calorie deficit and the other a diet like mine but, with one difference, they had chocolate cake for breakfast! It was very interesting to say the least, both groups lost weight at much the same rate up to a point, where the deficit group plateaued and the chocolate group continued to lose significant weight. They were less likely to slip from their diet and also kept the weight off longer if they did slip. The reasoning behind the findings was the chocolate kick started their metabolism in the morning quicker than normal and burned it off at a fast rate and also kept the sugar cravings in check for the rest of the day, so, they were less likely to "cheat" and snack on sugar through the day. So.... Chocolate cake all round?

Mo.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of boredom one night, i came up with this diet! Heavily influenced by the typical Japanese diet.

Breakfast:
- Beans
- Vegetables
- Brown Rice
Lunch:
- Chicken
- Vegetables
- Brown Rice
Dinner:
- Fish
- Vegetables
- Brown Rice
Snack:
- 1 or 2 servings of Fruit
Drinks:
- Water (every day)
- Green Tea (every day)
- Sake (1x/week)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: