Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth...

Karate is like a iron chain and it goes "wang". Gung-Fu is like a iron chain with a bar attached to it and it goes "wang"...and it hurts.~Bruce Lee

I don't agree with this totally because, first, I'm a karateka, and I believe that karate goes "wang"...and it hurts...too! I'm sure that Gung-Fu hurts too, and I'm sure that many other styles of the MA goes "wang"...and they hurt too.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but see who he found to train under? Very good gongfu masters of note, and passable Karatekas, IIRC. If he'd met different teachers, he may have come to a different conclusion. The statement seems to confuse the quality of product - the ability of a given artist to demonstrate martial skili - with the art form itself.

clfsean
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Choy Lay Fut, Lama Pai, others in the past

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's also not forgot that his training in WC was not complete or even close. I think it was only about 2 years. Sure he learned some other sets (forms, not even close to other styles per se) and techniques, but his "traditional" training was far from thorough.

What he was though was a good fighter with some training. But his outlook was a bit different given cultural background, training background & subsequent vision & him just being him.

Believe me, the last thing I want is to get by anybody that knows how to integrate their body properly into a strike... OMA, JMA, CMA, KMA, etc...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I do think Bruce did like the sound of his own voice. He was a very strong personality, with strong opinions. This statement is that.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushido Man, I agree, Bruce Lee was a legend and like all legends not all of it is true. A mythical figure will be shrouded in mystery and fiction. I wonder how well known he would have been if he were born twenty years later.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
Bushido Man, I agree, Bruce Lee was a legend and like all legends not all of it is true. A mythical figure will be shrouded in mystery and fiction. I wonder how well known he would have been if he were born twenty years later.
Its hard to tell, really. Some people are transcendent, others, not so much. Part of Lee's popularity stemmed from the way he shook up the Martial Arts world during his life. One could pose the argument of where we would be now if he had not done so?

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unusual way of asking, what is the difference between "karate" and "Chinese martial arts"

One is usually practiced by Japanese people and the other is usually practiced by Chinese people.

They both use different names to describe the same technique.

The cloth that is used in their garments are traditionally different, as one has a larger preference for white cotton used for it's duability attributes and the other for comfort and soft flowing movements preferring fine woven silk, but can also use cotton depending if the Chinese martial art style needs a more sturdier material to cope with severitys in combat and training use.

Karate uses a symbolic cotton color belt ranking system also adding stripes to the belt, that signifies how advanced a person is in any given Japanese style.
While in Chinese martial arts, a silk sash is usually worn around the waist, symbolic of advancements in the style; or a sash is worn without any symbolism whatsoever.

Karate is primarily used for physical self defence porpoises where as Chinese martial arts are usually practiced holistically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: