Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Master Jules
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan GoJu Ryu 5th Dan, Renshi, CQB Tactics, 5th Dan (founder), 2nd Dan w/honors USA/Urban Goju Ryu, CC Jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.A.L.......

Sorry.....the last thing I wanna do is start one of those "mine is better than yours" kinda thing....I meant you no offense......I think you know that Im not "that guy"......

Kobayashi Shorin Ryu descends from Shaolin, and is one of the few systems to have really kept a strong lineage to the Chinese ways,making it also a very "complete" style.....I will openly admit that I dont have that much exposure to it, so I may have "overspoken"....if thats even the right term.....again....I meant no offense.

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

P.A.L
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know ,i was kidding , first time i get a chance ,i will drop in your dojo, you are also wellcome to come over to see our shorin-ryu and white crane style.

Master Jules
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan GoJu Ryu 5th Dan, Renshi, CQB Tactics, 5th Dan (founder), 2nd Dan w/honors USA/Urban Goju Ryu, CC Jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I lost my dojo during a hellacious divorce about 5 years ago.....I still teach privately, anywhere there is enough space....You are still welcome up here though, and if I ever make it down to the great state of Texas, I would be more than honored to visit your dojo, thank you for your invitation.

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Dr. Flem
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks alot for all the help.

After much searching and research, I've found only two schools in my area that are within my price range.

1. Shotokan -- http://www.shotokan.com.au/
$75/month with a $75 yearly membership. Have to buy uniform seperately. Is that alot for 2 lessons per week? The teacher(or sensei?) says that after two months of training, I'm able to start on 3 lessons per week for no extra charge.

2. Goju Kai -- Still closed for the holidays but my friend goes there and she told me that it's approx the same price as the Shotokan school.

Just remember that that's $75 Australian.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$75 seems ok, maybe a tad expensive.

At my school membership is $45 a year. We dont pay per month, instead we pay $8 for each class.

So for 2 classes a week for 1 month it would cost $64. So your only paying about $10 extra.

Dr. Flem
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they all cost around the same amount. The uniform is $140.00. Quite a bit but from what the instructor has told me, it's "made of canvas(not cotton) and the quality is very good".

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc, why not try out both schools and see which you prefer?

Remember, it's the instructor that it more important than the style - as long as your inbstructor is competent, friendly, helpful and a great teacher then that's much more important than the style.

Also, when considering choosing a martial arts school you have to think about other factors such as how much it costs to join, how much it costs to grade, how often you can train, how far away the club is from your house etc etc. Also, are there 'hidden extras' to pay for, such as Weapons Club, Black Belt Club etc etc?

As for the uniform, you'd probably be better off getting your own from over the internet - you'd be able to get a good quality beginners uniform for less than A$140.00

Whichever martial art you choose, I hope that you enjoy it! Good luck with your training.

Sheffield Steelers!

Dr. Flem
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you aefibird. I'll be trying both the Shotokan and Goju Kai schools. All I've heard of Shotokan is that it's a rigid and stiff system that isn't very practical. All I've heard of Goju Kai is that it's nothing compared to the original. Either way, it looks as though I only have access to the underdogs.

I didn't think about the Black Belt Club and Weapons club etc. I have no idea what these are so I'll have to look into 'em. Thank you again.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Flem wrote:
Ahh, ok. So the fighting style has to have some subtle changes from what I can gather. I'm just not sure how it works.

I noticed that you're in Australia. Which state? I'm in Melbourne and the only Karate school I can find in my area is a Gojukai Karate Dojo which is based in Balywn North. Do you know of any good sites that will have dojo listings in Australia? I'm looking to start up with karate but I'm not sure as to which style I want to do.

I know this is 10 years too late but there is a goju-ryu dojo in balwyn north now and has been operating for the last 6 years at Boorandara Sports Complex (where the old north pool was).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: