Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Thruhiker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Differences between Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do Reply with quote

I am interested in knowing the differences b/w TSD & TKD. Such as TKD has 22 basic moves. (At least in our class) I would image the forms/katas are different. But for the most part are the two styles similar?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Kicks
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: WTF Tae Kwon Do (USTU,AAU), Hapkido

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the topic "Differences between TKD and TSD" at http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=14583

note: clicking this link will open a new window.

okc_deputy16
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: tkd, hopkido, ask, koreogumdo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkd is mostly kicks and tsd is mostly punches
there are of course similarities but those are the basics

TSDMGK_K40
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okc_deputy16 wrote:
tkd is mostly kicks and tsd is mostly punches
there are of course similarities but those are the basics

Are you kidding me? That is probably the grossest over-exageration that I have ever heard. While it may be true that TKD has more of an emphasis on kicking, there is no way you can say that TSD is mostly punches. We do more that our fair share of kicking in TSD.

TKD~Cat
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tae-Kwon-Do and New to Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree TSDMGK_K40. While TKD has more "fancy" and some of the classes may focus more on kicking, depending on your instructor TSD may be the same, or it may not be. I have been taking WTF Tae-Kwon-Do since I was itty-bitty, recently I was forced to join a Tang Soo Do class. The insturctor I am under, doesn't do as much advanced kicking as I am used too, but there have been times where the whole class has been doing kicks. But I will say that using your arms is also a big part of the sport as well. I am having to get used to using them.

It basically comes down to the fact that Tae-Kwon-Do has become more sport oriantated(sp?), whereas Tang Soo Do is still traditional. It also has a lot to do with your insturctor as well. The only real differences to me is that the students in the TSD class are at a much lower level than where they should be, with technic and such, and the forms are very different. The only one that is the same, as far as I know of is the first basic form.

From an experience this past weekend I have found though, that Tang Soo Do masters do not really like Tae-Kwon-Do. I went to a semanar run by Grand Master J. Joon Kim. Many of his masters, espically his son were very rude to me, which I found strange, because all of the students were very kind to me, and introduced themselves graciously. I probably won't be going again, though.

2nd Dan-Tae-Kwon-Do
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

foreveryoung001
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it all comes down to the instructor. Most of my MA experience is Chung Do Kwan TKD and focused, very much, on the "traditional" side of things.

Recently, I have also worked out with a Tagn Soo Club, for about a year, where the instructor also did a lot of K1 fighting, and he focused mainly on the sport side of things.

The styles were very similar, in their aproaches to shifting body weight, and basic techniques were very similar as well, but the instructors focus and direction is what leads the class.

TSDMGK_K40
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKD~Cat wrote:

It basically comes down to the fact that Tae-Kwon-Do has become more sport oriantated(sp?), whereas Tang Soo Do is still traditional. It also has a lot to do with your insturctor as well. The only real differences to me is that the students in the TSD class are at a much lower level than where they should be, with technic and such, and the forms are very different. The only one that is the same, as far as I know of is the first basic form.

The progression to Cho Dan is at a different pace in Tang Soo Do. Most TSD students take 4 to 5 years to reach Cho Dan, while most TKD schools that I know of promote at a much faster rate. Most of our students are red belts (3rd to 1st gup) for almost 2 years before they reach Dan level, so I think by the time they get to dan level they are very prepared for it.

TKD~Cat wrote:

From an experience this past weekend I have found though, that Tang Soo Do masters do not really like Tae-Kwon-Do. I went to a semanar run by Grand Master J. Joon Kim. Many of his masters, espically his son were very rude to me, which I found strange, because all of the students were very kind to me, and introduced themselves graciously. I probably won't be going again, though.

I am a Tang Soo Do 'master'. I don't particularly like that term, but it is what it is. I prefer Sa Bom, it seems more appropriate. I'm 31 years old, and just a little over a year from testing for 5th dan. The term 'master' always seems so out of place. Maybe when I'm like 45 it might feel more natural... Anyway, I don't particularly like TKD. But on the same token, I don't hate it either. In my area all of the TKD is Olympic style, and it really disgusts me that there are 2nd and 3rd dans in TKD that I really believe would have little to no chance of being able to defend themselves in real life. Between their non-existant use of their hands, to their reliance on the hogul (Sp?? chest protector) it is very discouraging. I don't like to generalize, but that is all there is in my area. I'm sure it's not like that with all TKD, but I just prefer a more traditional style, with enough balance between real self defense, traditional training, and then some point sparring type of contests.

BTW, I've never heard anything good about GM J.J. Kim, and I've been in TSD for 23 years now, so don't take it personally.

TangSooGuy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSDMGK_K40 wrote:

I am a Tang Soo Do 'master'. I don't particularly like that term, but it is what it is. I prefer Sa Bom, it seems more appropriate. I'm 31 years old, and just a little over a year from testing for 5th dan. The term 'master' always seems so out of place. Maybe when I'm like 45 it might feel more natural... .

I am also a TSD 'master', again for what it's worth...and I have to agree with you, sometimes the term is difficult to deal with, and sometimes it even gets in the way, but it is what it is.

I really don't have anything against TKD...I've said it before and I'll say it again, both TSD and TKD are practiced with such a wide variety of emphases between studios, that trying to differentiate the two can be difficult at best. mind-numbing at worst.

Some TSD schools have more in common with TKD schools than other TSD schools, and vice versa.

It's true that the generalization is that TSD is more traditional martial art, while TKD has become more sport oriented, and that's the packaged answer you'll hear from most people.

It's also true, though, that there are plenty of sport oriented TSD schools and traditional TKD schools.

It really will all come down to who is standing in front of the class.

I firmly believe that all martial arts, when taught correctly, are about the same when taken to their highest levels. It is only the path we take to getting there that differs.

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen!

I've watched TKD schools that spend all class working on 3 techniques, marching up and down, banging targets, practicing one-three step sparring with each other to the point that I'd have thought it was Shotokan if not for the V-neck tops!

On the other side, I know TSD folk who practice solely for improving their chances in competition. They compete several times per year at open tournaments as well as closed tsd-only tournaments. They are the ones who when you spar them, they wrap both hands around the chest to prevent a point, and look shocked when you go ahead and blast their arm as hard as you can

It all depends on the head instructor's focus and background. Especially in the US, where people take a certain extra liberty to change things (guilty!) or incorporate theories that suit their bodies better.

And then, others are just into what is profitable!

tkdkarategirl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in a TSD school around here, but we're lucky to even have more than 1 (insert any kind of Martial Art) school in our county...

As far as kicks and TKD...I believe most "sport" tkd is 20% punches and 80% kicks...we teach a more 'traditional' style (Chung do kwan as well), and do our best to work with more like 30% punches and 70% kicks (well, you know it's hard to count percentages when you're sparring, but we strive to stress the importance of using your hands when sparring/fighting...). I don't much care for the WTF "olympic" style of TKD...to me it just seems to be a bunch of jumping around and slinging your legs around...but even some of the students I started with are that way...they won't throw a punch the whole time they're sparring you, and if you throw one at them they don't know how to block it...anyway, I think that style of TKD is....'ugly.' But that's just my opinion and I hope nobody takes it as an insult or anything, it's just not as graceful as a more traditional style...
And I'm rambling so I'm going to stop....

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..." Phil. 4:13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: