Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Whisky147
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kung fu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Display belts? Reply with quote

Hey again folks!

Apologies to Patrick if this is the wrong thread for this!

With all the years of training, progression and belts under your...erm belts?

I was curious if any of you display your old belts/sashes? At home or if you own your own school do you have them on display there?

Maybe you have old weapons you used to train with that have now become part of your interior décor?

Or does all the old stuff get retired to the back of the cupboard?!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Display belts? Reply with quote

Whisky147 wrote:
Hey again folks!

I was curious if any of you display your old belts/sashes? At home or if you own your own school do you have them on display there?

Maybe you have old weapons you used to train with that have now become part of your interior décor?

All old grade certificates, Obi (belts), etc. are in the closet collecting dust.

The only grade, Obi, awards and the like that matter is the present ones you have earned. This was brought up in another post about displaying "ALL" of your certifications.

I feel this is more of an ego thing personally. However if you want to display them you definitely can.

As far as old weapons... it depends. If you have small children around the best place for these are in storage or under lock and key. If not I see nothing wrong with displaying them. Many display Daisho in their home/Dojo or have their favorite weapon prominently displayed.

For me displaying all of the belts and awards you have ever been given is just for the gratification of your own ego. If you are presently a Sandan then everyone with any background in the arts knows you wore all of the colored Mudansha grades, Shodan and Nidan Obi's to get to your present grade. Why display them since it is obvious that you had them to get where you are now? What reason, other than to make your walls look more impressive, is there for displaying them?

The same goes for displaying every grade certificate you received. If anyone ever asks it's easy to pull them out of a drawer or closet and show proof. Just seems a little self serving and egocentric to me. If you have gradings in other arts I could see displaying them. However mine are in the same place my old certs and obi's are.

Having expressed my personal opinion, you earned them so you can do as you wish. This is just my 2 cents.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic!

I have all my certs from kyu grades to dan grades framed and in a chest. Lol! I've always aimed to display them at my school. Just haven't gotten around to it. maybe once the seemingly never ending remodel gets done.

On the equipment front, I don't have a ton of weapons lying around to display. The live blades I own get used for kali training and after that it's just sticks used in training so they reside in a 5 gal bucket in the back, not really display quality.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a belt display rack on Black Friday a few years ago, but then I lent my orange belt to a kid who couldn't afford one and I never got it back, so the rack is just sitting in my closet with a belt missing...

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been dropping my old belts over a Sai from a set that I don't use anymore. It's in my spare room somewhere...

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids bought me a belt display rack 2 Christmases ago. It's still in the box. I'd never hang it up, but my kids bought it (actually, they asked my wife several times to buy it, as they were 5 and 3), so I should. They got the idea from the show Kickin' It.

When I get around to it, I'll hang it up upstairs where they can see it and no one else can to make them happy. My oldest daughter asked me a few weeks ago about it, and I honestly felt bad. My little girls have a way of making daddy feel guilty that's impossible for anyone else to pull off with all the sweetness and cuteness they have.

Edit: Also, I won't have the problem of what to do with my shodan, nidan, etc. belt when I get promoted to the next rank because the organization I'm in adds a stripe to the belt rather than issue a new belt with every dan promotion.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Display belts? Reply with quote

Whisky147 wrote:
Hey again folks!

All my old belts are unfortunately collecting dust in my cupboard at home. And just don't have the space to hang them at home.

If I wanted to display them, i'd have to make something because they were all tied up by my sensei when i was promoted to the next rank. Any display i've seen are for belts as they were when you received them and not for ones that are tied into a knot.

But for my Black Belt, we keep the same belt instead of receiving a new Black Belt every time we are promoted. The only time I think my sensei will award a different belt (to a Black Belt) is if he decides to award a Candy Stripe (Red + White) Belt or a Red + Black Belt.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Great topic!

I have all my certs from kyu grades to dan grades framed and in a chest. Lol! I've always aimed to display them at my school. Just haven't gotten around to it. maybe once the seemingly never ending remodel gets done.

On the equipment front, I don't have a ton of weapons lying around to display. The live blades I own get used for kali training and after that it's just sticks used in training so they reside in a 5 gal bucket in the back, not really display quality.

Is it one of the orange Homer buckets from Home Depot? Because, those are display worthy.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not one to seek attention, so I don't have a glory wall. My college degrees, Eagle Scout award, and other achievements, sit in a folder in the filing cabinet. My white belt sits on an empty hanger in my closet in case I ever change arts, and do not want to buy a new one.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
tallgeese wrote:
Great topic!

Is it one of the orange Homer buckets from Home Depot? Because, those are display worthy.

It's one of the green ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: