Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kensei wrote:
oh the joy of being a teacher and running an organization!

Yes; the good, the bad, and the ugly, these are the joys of teaching and running an organization.

RJCKarate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashiryu Karatedo Kobujutsu, Yamaneryu Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just seem this and it's a year ago... what was the outcome?
1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

advfhorn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 3.5 yrs of training the students I have met at the dojo that seem to have what I call "fake confidence" (meaning they appear cocky or bossy but it is really them trying to prove themselves) or those that completely lack confidence and do not seem to gain it from others encouraging and praising them .... usually leave after their contract ends (year long contracts).

In our dojo we never skip belt rankings. We also do not pay for testing. However if any student ever made a comment against a judgement call of our Sensei publicly ... I would not want to be them at that moment

I do remember a student making a snide comment once after one class about not advancing a stripe. Sensei immediately addressed it and her disrespect and I very much remember her NEXT class (he put her in the spotlight and she was not up to the task). She quit after that.

XtremeTrainer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've read through the entire thread just today and its been over four years since it was started. So anyway, what was the outcome?

XtremeTrainer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:
Okay. The test went down Friday evening. There were 5 people testing- 1 from orange to green, 2 for purple, and the one in question testing officially for blue. As the test went on, she did fairly well. She improved a lot since her last test, but she still has a lot of issues she needs to work on. Her stances and moving forward and backwards in them needs a little tweaking. She needs to work harder on completing the step before the counter is launched. Simple things that I can fix with 2 weeks of training. The other student that started at the same time as her ("C") knocked it out of the park. She performed almost flawlessly. She even got a clean point on me in Kumite!! (without me letting her!!!) However, "K" performed a level below "C". And in her kumite, she was put against the Nidan that she questioned earlier. He did not try to humiliate her, but he did show her that she has a lot of holes in her game. That was done by design. And after, he pulled her aside and coached her as to what she needed to work on.

When the grading took place, she was presented her blue belt, because honestly, she performed to blue belt level. She performed 2 katas above what she needed, and she knew the bunkais to go along with them. During the grading, she was told that if she showed the dedication to fix the few little things she needed to over the next few weeks, she may be able to obtain the advanced ranking. The Nidan that she questioned offered to take her under his wing and work with her. As we were leaving, she mentioned that she will be out of state for a month. When she had left, the M.I. came by and said that he feels that we'll lose her as a student. If that's the case, it won't hurt my feelings. I'm one that used to have to do pushups on my knuckles if I didn't focus 100% on class, so any act of disrespect makes my skin crawl. If she happens to return, I would gladly help her to achieve her goals because she does put in the work. She just needs to realize where she truly is. She is so worried about "C"'s training that she forgets where she actually is.

Thanks for the discussion, guys. I'll probably post an update in August when she returns to the wonderful state of Louisiana!

I know its been a long time since this has been posted and this thread has dried up but I want to point this out. If Im taking a rank test and in the system Im training in purple belt is higher than blue belt and in the test I perform only as well as blue belt than all I would want is the blue belt. I wouldn't want a purple belt if I don't perform well enough for a purple belt. Twice I've failed rank tests in the martial arts. Both times it was because I didn't perform well enough to pass. The instructor who failed me was doing his job. I failed not because of the instructor but because of me and because I needed more work on the stuff that I didn't perform well enough in to cause me to fail. If the instructor had passed me when I didn't do well enough that would be a lie and it would hurt me more than anybody else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: