Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP is 4 years old, folks. Perhaps the reported problems are now fixed.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been dealing with them for a lot of years and have never had a problem. From what the OP said, it sounds like they dropped the ball on that one. It doesn't sound like they treated him fairly, but from what I hear, most others have had good experiences.

Like us, they're a small business. I don't know who the OP spoke with, but it wasn't some nameless customer service rep, it was probably one of the owners. It's in her best interest to keep customers happy. For whatever reason, she seems to have thought she was in the right and stuck to her guns.

Nobody is perfect, but they do care about customer service.

Kodakmint
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: American Freestyle Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the words of caution, I was actually looking to buy a gi from them.

tayl0124
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Ryukyu Kobodo shimbukan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used them at our school a few times, and have nothing but great success with our orders. As a matter of fact, I am on the verge of getting an order together to place soon.
"I do not teach karate, bucause that alone is the art of empty hand fighting. I teach Karate-Do, which is a way of life. The longer you are in this Dojo the more you will understand the great difference between the two."

- Sensei Sherman Harrill

BlueWaveKarate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Update to Meijin warning post Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but I've had some recent experience with Meijin that - while not damning - should instill caution in buyers.

The uniform cut and construction is pretty awesome, you can't take that away from them. It's solid, canvasy (strong though rough), and is an appropriate weight for daily use.

I also ordered a belt with embroidery from them, and its ok but the kanji isn't as pretty as say, Tokaido's.

The issue is shrinkage and customer service.

I ordered a size 7 one year ago, and I noticed it slowly getting smaller. After seeing a recent picture of myself in it, I thought I'd break out the old measuring tape and check on what 12 months of wear and EXTREMELY CAREFUL WASHING IN ONLY COLD WATER WITH ONLY LINE DRYING ha done.

Four and a half inches off the vertical measurement for the top.
One inch off the horizontal measurement of the bottom hem of the gi top.
Two inches off the waistband.

I can still wear it, though I have to get it adjusted and will be replacing it with a Tokaido when I can afford to do so.

On to Customer Service.

The best I can tell, based on pre-purchase email questions about the belt and both pre-purchase phone calls and recent emails about my issues with the gi is this:

She is a middle aged Japanese woman with only basic English skills and no authority to make decisions. I'll post the emails after this update.

She seems very, very nice and I have no issues with the etiquette of the service, but know that if you plan to purchase from Meijin, it is a final sale and the gi will shrink up to 10% on some measurements.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to Meijin warning post Reply with quote

BlueWaveKarate wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but I've had some recent experience with Meijin that - while not damning - should instill caution in buyers.

The uniform cut and construction is pretty awesome, you can't take that away from them. It's solid, canvasy (strong though rough), and is an appropriate weight for daily use.

I also ordered a belt with embroidery from them, and its ok but the kanji isn't as pretty as say, Tokaido's.

The issue is shrinkage and customer service.

I ordered a size 7 one year ago, and I noticed it slowly getting smaller. After seeing a recent picture of myself in it, I thought I'd break out the old measuring tape and check on what 12 months of wear and EXTREMELY CAREFUL WASHING IN ONLY COLD WATER WITH ONLY LINE DRYING ha done.

Four and a half inches off the vertical measurement for the top.
One inch off the horizontal measurement of the bottom hem of the gi top.
Two inches off the waistband.

I can still wear it, though I have to get it adjusted and will be replacing it with a Tokaido when I can afford to do so.

On to Customer Service.

The best I can tell, based on pre-purchase email questions about the belt and both pre-purchase phone calls and recent emails about my issues with the gi is this:

She is a middle aged Japanese woman with only basic English skills and no authority to make decisions. I'll post the emails after this update.

She seems very, very nice and I have no issues with the etiquette of the service, but know that if you plan to purchase from Meijin, it is a final sale and the gi will shrink up to 10% on some measurements.

Solid post!!

I'd like to also take this time to welcome you to KarateForums!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

tayl0124
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Ryukyu Kobodo shimbukan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the shrinkage factor. I will say that being that I have never had another quality gi before, that I assumed it was because it was 100% cotton. I did notice that according to their size chart I should have ordered at size 8 not a size 6 as I ordered. The 6 fit very well when new, but has lost some length after 1 or 2 years or wear and washing in only cold water with line drying. Perhaps if I would have ordered the 8 as their sizing chart suggests and washed it and dried it, perhaps it would fit like the 6 does when it was new. For that reason, I am currently in search of a cotton/poly blend gi that is reasonably priced.
"I do not teach karate, bucause that alone is the art of empty hand fighting. I teach Karate-Do, which is a way of life. The longer you are in this Dojo the more you will understand the great difference between the two."

- Sensei Sherman Harrill

BlueWaveKarate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tayl0124:

I am exactly the specifications they list for size 7: 74" and 220#. That size 7 fit me PERFECTLY in January, and now is, as I said, a size 5 by their own measurements on the website.

Again, I should add that the woman I spoke with was nothing but kind and concerned, but that there didn't seem to be any ability or initiative to resolve the issue.

BlueWaveKarate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and thanks sensei8! I've read as a guest for a while, figured I might as well join in.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, and thank you for taking the time to post this information. Most helpful, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: