Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BlueWaveKarate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Here are the emails I sent to Meijin. They appear to have ignored my last email, and are not interested in helping me out. So, they're off my good list for sure.

Email 1:
Quote:
I purchased a Meijin Pro gi from you one year ago, and have loved it every day I've worn it. I called your representative before my order and was assured that a size 7 would fit my muscular frame. When it arrived, it was a perfect fit, and I was very excited. I've taken exquisite care of it - always line drying and always washing cold - as stated in your recomendations on your website.

I have noticed, however, that it has been getting pretty snug. I brought out my uniform and measuring tape and found that even though I had taken all precautions, the uniform had shrunk TWO FULL SIZES according to your size chart.

I absolutely love the quality and design features of the uniform, but am now faced with having to purchase a new uniform as this one has become too small.

Had I washed the Gi in hot water or dried it, I would certainly not be writing to ask this, however, as it has only been one year and I have to buy another uniform, if I purchase another Meijin, would you be willing to discount the price for me?

Again, I greatly appreciate the style, cut, and features of the uniform, I just think it is abnormal to lose FOUR AND A HALF INCHES on Gi height and an entire inch on the width of the gi.

I will gladly send in this gi for exchange as well, if you are willing to help me out with the cost of a gi that might fit me longer than one year.

Thank you very much in advance!

Reply 1:
Quote:
Dear Phillip

we are sorry to hear about your uniform but we really do not know what to say to you
First, we never assure customer regarding sizes , How can we ? we do not see customer. we only recommend sizes.
Every shipment, we wash uniforms for testing . and every time the same result. If we wash in cold water and hung dry them , they shrink nothing.
even if we wash warm water and dry them in low tempreture dryer, they shrink almost nothing.
we do no have any customer complained about shrinkage for last 7 to 8 years.

Email 2:
Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

The size that was suggested was a perfect fit in January, so thank you for recommending it! I am 74" and 220#, and that size seven fit me exactly.

I have left the tag on it that states that the uniform is a size seven, but measured the height of the top today at 35.5". That is a very significant difference. And again, I assure you that I took exquisite care of my gi, washing only in cold water and always line drying.

As you said, you test every uniform and are - I can tell - very proud of your work. And you should be! The uniform is excellent in cut and design! It is only the matter of this shrinkage.

Perhaps it slipped through undetected. I completely understand that it happens even under the best of circumstances. What I am wondering is whether, since this is obviously a rare error in your processing, if you might help me replace the GI.

If it is, as you said, simply a rare mistake, I would gladly take even the same size in exchange for this defective gi.

Thank you again for replying!

Again, that's the end. Nothing back in five days. Considering how fast they replied to my first email (a matter of hours), I can only imagine they've read my second one.

BlueWaveKarate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent my email 3:

Quote:
Hello! I am wondering if you've given any thought to my last email, asking for help replacing a gi that I purchased from you that shrunk down two full sizes even under the most gentle of care.

If you've forgotten, please read the below email chain and let me know what you can do to help me replace my gi!

Thank you!

I'll let you know how this goes.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for posting BlueWaveKarate.

I would have thought that she'd have at least offered a partial refund or, like you asked for, a slight discount on the next purchase. I thought your emails were good too, not like you were being rude or demanding in anyway. Guess there's not much you can do though

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

If it's of any help, I love my Arawaza. Have you looked into their gis?

http://www.arawaza.com/

BlueWaveKarate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Darksoul.

I'm totally gonna sound like a momma's boy, but I am not ashamed to say that as a 32 year old Nidan in Shotokan and in TKD:

My mommy wants to make me a custom gi.

I'd say that solves the problem. She's good. I'll write a report about it in a few months when it's done.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, BlueWaveKarate, for doing such an extraordinary job of documenting your experience! I'm impressed.

After hearing your side of this, my personal opinion is that you deserve some kind of consideration. Sounds to me like Meijin dropped the ball again. For Meijin's sake, I hope you and the original poster are exceptions to their rule of typically good service and quality. As a gi vendor, I'd like to say that we never drop the ball, but we do. It happens.

As far as your details go, 4.5 inches off the length of the top sounds excessive, but 10% shrinkage over a year isn't uncommon for most 100% cotton gi, even with proper care. Cotton is preshrunk to varying degrees, and a high quality gi will typically shrink less than a cheaper gi, but if any unwashed cotton gi is a perfect fit, it's probably too small. Has anyone on Karate Forums ever had a 100% cotton gi that "shrink nothing"? I'm stressing this because I don't want you to be unhappy with your next gi.

I never know how much I should share on the internet about someone else and other companies, but I believe that your nice person and the original poster's rude person is one and the same, and that she has the authority to make decisions. If she says there is nothing they can do for you, asking for someone else probably won't help.

As an experienced nidan, this doesn't apply to BlueWaveKarate as much, but I always recommend that people order through their dojos when they can. Ideally, you trust your dojo, and your dojo has a vendor they trust. The sensei is likely to be familiar with the products, and if something goes wrong, there are relationships involved that encourage people to work things out, at least more so than with a random internet purchase. Just my 2 cents.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that you were reasonable in your messages, BlueWaveKarate. Also, thank you for what you are doing trying to bridge some gaps here, JohnASE.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Dr. D
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wado-ryu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had a very good experience with the two Meijin gis I purchased from Dragon Associates. Quick and efficient service, and I am very pleased with the fit and quality of the gis. I purchased two of the Meijin pro gis: one for my daughter (black-belt) and one for me (red-belt). My only warning: these gis shrink! Advertised as traditional cut, but after a few washings, they become a tourney cut. Fine with me as I actually prefer a tourney cut, BUT do beware of this if you buy a Meijin. Other than this, an excellent gi. I am happy. Sorry to hear that others did not share a positive experience.

Benjamin Paul
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the heads up, not too long ago, I was going to place an order through them.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to necro this post... I own 2 gis from Meijin: Meijin Tropical (size 5) and a Meijin Champion (size 5.5.) The Tropical uniform is my favorite, comfort-wise. The material is amazing! The only reason why I tried a size 5.5 for the Champion is because the Tropical shrank a little, but not much. I only wash my uniforms with cold water, and hang-dry. I like the kimono to be longer, and the 5.5 jacket seemed more appropriate. I had to shrink the pants some (warm water wash, and brief tumble-dry low) because the normal shrinkage wasn't quite enough on the pants, and I didn't care to pay to get them altered.

Another note: My experience with anything made of 100% cotton is that one should expect a 10% shrinkage, even if wash on cold and hang-dry.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: